October 31, 2014

Dexter: Circle of Friends

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Nov 12th 2006 10:34PM

Dexter, Deb, and Angel examine a skeleton.(S01E07) OK, so here goes. It's not that I disliked this episode. It just got me very frustrated... angry actually. This is a such a smart, intelligent show and I'd like to think it's attracting viewers of the same caliber. So why go and and have an episode such as this one where anyone with half a brain could see right through it? Every other fan of Dexter has to know what I'm referring to.

From the very second they suggested it, there was never a second where you were going to get me to believe that Neil Perry was the Ice Truck Killer. If they answered that question at the half-way point of the season? I'm not sure I'd be too excited for the rest of the season then. The entire time I was waiting for the one moment where Neil and Dexter come face to face and Neil has no idea who he's looking at. We got it as the final scene of the episode. But c'mon... you knew that was coming. This was just filler and ultimately all it sets up is the scenario that Dexter has wanted anyway. He now has the freedom to hunt the Ice Truck Killer on his own because as far as LaGuerta and Co. are concerned, they got their man.

Of course, there are still plenty of questions. If Perry isn't the ITK, then how did he know about the methods used to kill all the prostitutes? He had photos and newspaper clippings of all the crime scenes. He even killed his mother, cut off her feet, and buried her in the backyard. He fits the bill, but there's no reason why it can't all be coincidence. Copy-cat killer? Maybe. Or perhaps he actually knows the real ITK, is being set-up, but rolls with it because he simply likes the attention. There are dozens of scenarios (and I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks), but it still boils down to one simple fact: he had no idea who Dexter was and the ITK definitely knows who Dexter is.

LaGuerta had a lot going on in this episode and she finally got what she had coming. She still rides Deb hard and it's starting to get old. She's clearly intimidated, especially since Matthews seems to be constantly praising Deb while at the same time scolding her. It just seems like LaGuerta goes out of her way to get at Deb. She put Angel in charge of the task force when it was clearly Deb's find and then she cut off Deb during the profile meeting. But as I said, the lieutenant got her due. She lives for the press conferences and loves taking the credit. But Matthews left her out of this one and took all the credit for Neil Perry. He's a bit of a slime-ball too but I liked this move.

I'm starting to enjoy Rita's story a bit more since her ex (Paul) is back. I love the interactions between him and Dexter. It's a safe bet that Dex will end up killing him, but will it be for a legit reason? If he starts beating Rita again, he's done. But will Dexter actually compromise his ethics and kill Paul simply because it will make Rita happy if he's gone? I'm not so sure.

I think it's starting to be clearer that Doakes has a bit of a thing for Deb. But now he needs to deal with Deb's romance with that prosthetics doctor. Those two seem like an odd match. Something is off about the doctor. I'm not sure what though.

Lastly, I wanted to talk about Dexter's relationship with Jeremy Downs. Did anyone else find it odd that Dexter found a connection with this kid? I thought they were completely different. They share that same empty feeling but I don't see much beyond that. You can make the argument that it's because Jeremy didn't have someone like Harry to guide him, but the fact remains that he killed in cold blood. I was surprised that Dexter seemed to be willing to cut the kid some slack because he saw himself in him. Didn't feel right to me.

The best scene in the episode happened early on though. The one between Dexter and Rita, when they were on her couch? I loved that exchange. Dexter kept trying to convince her that he had a dark side. Rita said he didn't hurt people. His response, after a long pause? Innocent people. I'll be curious to see how his motives and ethics change as he hunts the ITK on his own now.

David

I was thinking of a twist that would suprise all. In episode 11 the newspaper shows 4 of the people killed in the massacure from when Dexter was a little boy. The four criminals were small criminals one of them was Dexter's mom, who may have been a prostitute.
Is Harry, Dexter's foster dad, really so good. Dexter's mom was killed by a vigelanti and now Harry is training Dexter to be a vigalanti. How does Harry know so much about Dexter's condition? Why did he cover up the night of Dexter's mom's murder. Something happened unexpected the night of Dexter's mom's murder, a three year old boy named Dexter was there. So what did Harry do he covered it up, took Harry in. But obviously Harry has experience at this. Who do you think trained the ice truck killer? Just a thought of a shocking twist.

Dave

December 12 2006 at 3:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
itranatucla

Kinda off topic but did anyone else think that NP looked like the Verizon commercial guy?...and then laughed when he had Verizon network on his cell phone?

November 18 2006 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arcy Luna

I think Neil Perry and the Doc are brothers. That is why Neil knows so much about the ITK - he follows him to take pictures of his brothers crimes. Maybe he wants to emulate him. I can't come up with how the Doc would know Dexter and would want to taunt him, play, whatever. I'm also curious why the ITK kills prostitutes. Neil was made to sound like a frequent customer of prostitutes I don't think he kills them I think doc does. Was their mother one? Doc wants to clean them up after Neil defiled them. At the same time he is probably turned on by them as well,hence his hots for Deb dressed like a prostitute but clean. Still I can find no reason for a connetion with Dexter and the Doc.

November 18 2006 at 7:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stevie

i thought the doctor was the obvious choice the first time they showed him. now it's for sure.

November 17 2006 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

#11, I'm sorry, but nothing so far has suggested Dexter was BORN like this. And it's been made OBVIOUS it's someone who knows him. Dexter is so in tune with deb (motivaions, moods and the reasons for them.) He would be the first to suspect her. NO WAY IS IT DEB.

November 15 2006 at 8:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ana

I loved the opening scene. Dexter at the crime scene and moving with an imaginary knife like a dancer to recreate the murder. And the scenes with Jeremy are very intense. The footmassage scene was sweet - I love the "relationship" of Dexter and Rita. I am more interested to know how and if they can deepen their relationship than to know who the ITK is.

November 15 2006 at 6:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

@Rhomboid

I too, have always suspected sister Deb as being the ITK. You've brought up excellent points about the ITK's familiarity of Dexter, as well as the counterpoints against Deb as a suspect.

A question: What if Deb is actually doing these ITK murders to further her career? Especially if she clearly has something to prove against LaGuerta AND the spotless (pun - get it?) reputation of Dexter? Food for thought.

November 14 2006 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lango

first off the ITK is obviously not deb unless she has an acomplise considering we know where she was st the police station watching survaliance videos when dexter found tuchi. Secound I doubt reading the books would ruin the story line much considering that the ITK in the tv show is actualy a combination of the killer from the first and secound book. so the only charcter that has been introduced that could possibly be the ITK in my opinuion would be the doc. Although I think he is just there to through off the viewers and the real killer hasn't been introduced.

November 14 2006 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rjbhiemstra

I don't think we've seen the ITK yet.
I think it's probably someone related to Dexter.
Maybe his biological father or brother?
But I do hope we won't find out until the last episode.

November 14 2006 at 4:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Everyone watching knew it wasn't going to be Neil Perry as soon as he popped up. Throughout the whole episode, the viewer is with Dexter as he denies Neil's identity as the Ice Truck Killer until the evidence shows seemingly without a doubt that Neil is the one. Then, just as Dexter has accepted the Ice Truck Killer's identity, he realises that it is not Neil and the Ice Truck Killer has fooled everyone but him. The point of this episode wasn't to fool the viewers, but to fool Dexter. If Dexter was ever in doubt about the abilities of the Ice Truck Killer, he can't be anymore. I feel this is the best episode yet, quite contrary to everything you've said.

November 13 2006 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply