April 16, 2014

NBC to announce new schedule this week

by Anna Johns, posted Nov 12th 2006 11:16AM
nbc logoAccording to The New York Times, NBC will announce some shifts in its schedule this week-- which will likely include a new night and/or time for Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. In an article about the network's announcement that it is picking up Studio 60 for the entire season, there's also a little quote from NBC entertainment president Kevin Reilly, saying Studio 60 will "not necessarily stay on Monday."

Where can it go? There's an open time slot on Wednesdays at 10pm since NBC pulled Kidnapped off the air. That would put Studio 60 up against The Nine on ABC and CSI: NY on CBS. Or, NBC could separate the two Law & Order franchises on Tuesday night and slide Studio 60 into one of those time slots.

Any other ideas? Maybe NBC stole my ideal schedule.

gail

This is good news if they are moving Studio from Monday nights-there's too much on already on Mondays. There's nothing that I watch the rest of the week, and I won't have to tape my fluff What about Brian. Just don't move it to Sundays please!

November 17 2006 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kosmicki

I can remember several series in the 70's (Planet of the Apes being the one I really remember this about) that were definitely geared for younger folks, but then were put on Friday nights, when that same demographic was at football and basketball games. I can understand the marketing ease of Friday Night Lights on Friday, but it doesn't work very well for that target family audience. I do think that Monday after Heroes works well, as the monday night football season is heading to the home stretch, and there's going to be an audience looking for an alternative to watch, and What About Brian isn't going to do it for them.

November 13 2006 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
keith

Why oh WHY do I type in the dark?

November 13 2006 at 1:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
keith

The change on Thursday night is not Studio 80, oi is 30 Rock

November 13 2006 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SamMalone

During Sunday night football a commercial ran saying S60 is moving to Thursdays, no time was given. My Media Center PC is showing it from 9:20-10 (supersized Earl and Office). Sounds like a bad idea to me. The supersized thing always seemed dumb to me. But 9 might be a good time for it.

November 12 2006 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

While I don't necessarily agree with the argument against moving FNL to Monday because of Monday Night Football, I wouldn't want to see it moved to Friday nights. Friday night hasn't been a good night for launching new shows (or moving new shows to), Ghost Whisperer not withstanding.

Maybe Wednesday at 10 and leaving L&O on Fridays? Yes I know that's contrary to what I commented earlier but leaving L&O on Friday isn't the worst thing.

November 12 2006 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

"I watch it, but it is definitely the weakest show on television now"

First of all, how on earth could you say that it's the weakest show on TV? I can understand not liking it (personally, I love it), but it is in no way weaker than some of the drivel on The CW or even a majority of reality shows.

Secondly, if it IS the weakest show on TV, why on earth do you watch it? Wouldn't there be 4 other programming options (counting only the networks) on at the exact same time on Friday nights that are apparently NOT the weakest show on TV?

November 12 2006 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicki

Please tell me the person who made the football comment was kidding. Football is bullshit. I don't watch Studio 60, just because I don't have the memory on my computer to record another hour long show I'll never have time to watch, but please, football shouldn't be a deterrant from anything. I still watch Brothers & Sisters at 10 on Sundays, though. The Grey's effect from last year is still working me: I wind up watching after Desperate Housewives still.

And to be fair, David (high school football person), high school football season is going to end soon. I'm a senior, and as much as I hate football (see above), once it ends, I think I might miss it. But if the were on a night other than Friday, I wouldn't even consider watching. But I don't suppose that matters much, since my school's football team seems to be first in the state and the season may well last until December at this rate.

Yes, I ramble irrelevantly.

November 12 2006 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

I have a feeling that a lot of the changes will be due to the budget cuts that NBC are making. I believe in an article I read, they are going to be putting reality shows on lead in slots then after that get to scripted shows.

November 12 2006 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

NBC will not replace ER with Studio 60, so everybody get that idea out of your heads right now.

What else is there? With Lost taking a long hiatus, now would be the perfect time to try something Wednesday at 9. There are hit shows to worry about no matter when they move it to, but that might be a decent slot especially if Daybreak isn't a success.

November 12 2006 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply