August 28, 2014

New sci-fi outing for Battlestar scribe

by Julia Ward, posted Nov 12th 2006 1:07PM
SixBattlestar Galactica executive producer David Eick, along with writer John McNamara and director Jonathan Mostow, are bringing a new sci-fi thriller to Fox.

Entitled Them, the project is based on Michael Oeming and Daniel Berman's graphic novel Six. Taking a page from Battlestar's metaphorical take on the war in Iraq, Them will be working the sleeper cell angle. The premise of the show involves extraterrestrial terrorists who take on the shape of humans. Their mission is compromised when they begin to acquire human emotions, which act like a drug on them. Eick reported to Variety, "Them is about the war on terror, writ large."

In addition to Them and his continued work with Battlestar, Eick is working on The Bionic Woman for NBC.

So excited for Them. Not so excited for The Bionic Woman.

Kelly Holly Harsongkram

Hi, this is Kelly Holly Harnsongkram writing from Woodland Hills, CA!Hello all! This show sounds super cool! I'd like to see their extra-terrestrial take on the Iraq war. I wonder how it will end. Will they ship the humans off to some foreign planet and then desert them there to be picked off one by one or ambushed? Hmm, maybe art won't imitate life that honestly. We'll see. Either way, hope it's worth watching.
- K. Holly Harnsongkram, CA

November 19 2006 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

After reading the title of this new show, for a minute there I thought we were going to get a series about giant, irradiated ants. I'm glad I was wrong.

November 13 2006 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

marlen: Yeah, Moore talks about the Iraq (and real world in general) connections all the time in his blog. They state, however, its not an exact allegory, but an allegory all the same.

November 12 2006 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isa Saalabi

David Isa Saalabi here from Florida. Excellent news! I love BSG so will definitely check Them out. Any idea when it might be hitting our screens?

November 12 2006 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Te Quan

BSG is not a metaphor for Iraq?

From Variety and the horse's mouth:

Indeed, Eick said, much as "Battlestar" is a "metaphor for Iraq, foreign policy and how we view our enemy, 'Them' is about the war on terror, writ large.

November 12 2006 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

How many times do Ron and David have to tell you "professionals" that BSG is not about Iraq? Ten? Twenty? A hundred?

Just curious.

November 12 2006 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhiteCat

I am actually looking forward to The Bionic Woman.

I'll tell you why.

If you would have told me 5 years ago that one of the best, most critically acclaimed shows on television would be Battlestar Galactica I would have laughed.

The idea that they could take something as goofy and camp as the original BSG and turn it into what they have, makes me wonder what they will do with The Bionic Woman.

It seems these guys can take the campy, guilty pleasures of our youth and turn them into critically acclaimed shows. I am all for it.

What do you guys think will be the next campy show to be re-imagined?

Maybe Buck Rodgers?

-WhiteCat

November 12 2006 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

I'm excited to see John McNamara on the project. I loved Profit and Eyes; hopefully this will get more than a few episodes.

November 12 2006 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Isn't David Eick also doing that super hero woman show, the BSG spinoff Caprica and BSG? Isn't he biting off more than he can chew?

But it's on Fox so they will most likely make 13 episodes, never air them and cancel it anyways.

November 12 2006 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dries

Hmm, this looks promissing.
The subject has much similarities with BSG. And if David Eick can get the show to the same level of writing and acting as BSG. He'll finally get the credit he deserves (since fox has a bigger audience). Though, i hope he has enough time left in his life to keep BSG rolling superbe...

November 12 2006 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply