August 22, 2014

Friday Night Lights gets a full season - BREAKING NEWS

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 13th 2006 4:12PM

Much like the confidence it showed in Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip by giving it a full season order, NBC has done the same with the Tuesday night high school football drama Friday Night Lights.

NBC Entertainment President Kevin Reilly said they were "proud to reward an authentic, poignant series like Friday Night Lights." My guess? They take the show off of Tuesday nights, much like they plan to take Studio 60 off of Monday nights. It will be interesting to see NBC's new lineup, which will be revealed some time this week.

It's actually great to see a network realize that these are both quality shows that deserve to be on the air and just need some time to grow. Is Jordan McDeere in charge over at NBC?

Ben

Hurrah! I watched the first few ones on Tivo and was immediately drawn in to a depiction very similar to the town I grew up in, but was reluctant to watch the latest ones as I didn't want to be disappointed when it got cancelled. Kudos to NBC for sticking with it... I hope it turns out to be like the Office and the ratings just get better as it goes on.

November 15 2006 at 3:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suzie

Let's get this straight:
1. The show is critically acclaimed.
2. I love the show.
3. The show has not done well in the ratings.

See, I KNOW what is supposed to happen next. It's happened before. I'm used to it, kind of numb to it in fact. Number 4 should be "Show is dumped by network." I've been expecting it, bracing myself for it. But now you're telling me that Number 4 is "Show is picked up for a full season"?

All right, NBC, what are you trying to do? Is this some attempt to drive me nuts? Man, you just can't trust the networks!

(In other words, THANK YOU, NBC!)

November 14 2006 at 2:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M

This is the best news...I don't like football but LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this show!!! Can't wait to see the characters develop!!

November 14 2006 at 1:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tv junkie

This news made my day! NBC is really desperate for some TV fans love this season, giving full seasons to struggling shows that otherwise would be canceled by other networks (FOX)! good job, NBC!

November 13 2006 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

Clear eyes, full hearts, CAN'T LOSE!

November 13 2006 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SamMalone

How does it go? "Clear heads, full hearts, can't lose...RAAAWWRR!"

November 13 2006 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brody

Granted, I haven't watch FNL at all, but given how passionate NBC is about it, it makes me happy that there is at least one network that helps out struggling shows, rather then throwing them to the trash after week 3 (Kidnapped couldn't be helped because it was a serial) if The Office were on FOX, it'd be gone in week 4.

November 13 2006 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason P.

Wow! Great news, giving a quality series some breathing room for creative expression. Can't wait to see it all. NBC definitely gets props for this.

November 13 2006 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yme Sandelmann

That's great news! I really like the series (although I don't care for football). Tops off the good news that my boss is out sick for the week... Was that mean?! ;)

November 13 2006 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Wow! NBC is really trying to save shows, first Studio 60 and now this. It makes you wonder just how bad the ratings were for Kidnapped.

November 13 2006 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply