October 23, 2014

The Dresden Files open up in January

by Adam Finley, posted Nov 13th 2006 7:01PM

sci fiThe Dresden Files, which debuts on the Sci Fi Channel in January, sounds somewhat like The X-Files in the way it combines detective work with the supernatural. In this case, however, the detective has supernatural powers himself. The new series, based on the novels by Jim Butcher, focuses on Harry Dresden (Paul Blackthorne), a professional wizard who helps solve cases involving vampires, werewolves and other mystical creatures. Terrence Mann also stars as Dresden's sidekick, a centuries-old spirit who lives inside a human skull.

An interesting concept, at least, though I wonder what this series will have that will set it apart from other supernatural shows, many of which have not been able to find an audience. That being said, I'd rather see a wizard helping police solve crimes than another series about some psychic doing the same. The further we get from vindicating so-called "real" psychics with fictional dramas the happier I'll be. Besides, I have several leprechaun friends who have been trying to sell a script to HBO for years. I think it's about their time to shine.

Tony C

I too, hope that SciFi does justice to this series. I love the books and have read all but the seventh and the back half of book six.

Paul Blackthorne is 37 years old (born in 69) and that is pretty much spot-on for what was rolling around in my head for Harry, given pop culture references and other elements that have "dated" a pretty tight possible age range. My only anachronism with that is his birth predates David Copperfield's rise to stardom by a good number of years. Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden is his full name, his fathers acknowledgement of his favorite magicians.

The 30 second promo clip doesn't spill much in the way of details (as well it shouldn't -- I hate previews because they usually spoil things) but there is at least one recognizable face among the characters. Looks like Carla Gugino is Lt. Connie Murphy (why the name change from Karrin???) -- yes, I know she's not blonde and "five foot nothing", but I think she'd make a great "Murph".

A big nit to pick from the clip is that Harry's office appears to be at street level with big windows prominently facing out to the sidewalk -- completely goes against his character and the setting established in the books.

November 14 2006 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

If Sci-Fi does justic to this series it could well be their next breakout hit. The novels upon which it is based are great escapism will a little bit of several genres thrown together (fantasty, magic, mystery). I have to say I'm not thrilled with the casting of Paul Blackthorne as the lead (too old), but what I've seen of the previews looks good. The books are somewhat noir-ish and adult in nature, so it would be a great pairing with Battlestar Galactica.

November 14 2006 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kosmicki

I second, third, fourth, whatever, the recommendation about the books. The show will have to be different however, as many of the situations in the books simply can't be done on a Sci-Fi Network budget. But having said that, a LOT of the backstory to the novels has to do with the politics of the supernatural world, whether it be the Vampire Courts, the Faerie Worlds, or the Wizard's Council. So there's plenty of conflict there that is a bit more mundane without having to focus on the monster of the week.

Plus, Harry's relationship with the police Lt. Karren is very, very reminiscent of the relationship between the main character in Psych and his police contact. In fact, my wife and I agreed that the actor who played the blond policewoman would be a great Karren for this series. And if they play up that angle, it will work well on TV (and is familiar enough with audiences to hook them into the show).

November 14 2006 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PastaQueen

I hope this show does the books justice. The books are suberbly plotted, have lots of interesting supporting characters, and are funny too. Crossing my fingers.

November 14 2006 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DieH@rd

Dresden Files books are great. The best thing about Dresden is that at the end of each book he is so badly beaten and hurt that he can barely walk. :) Like Bruce Willis in his Die Hard movies...

Cant wait for this show!

November 14 2006 at 4:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heplar

Now, the X-Files on sites like http://alloftv.net that would be cool

November 13 2006 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply