December 19, 2014

Top Gear driver back behind the wheel

by Julia Ward, posted Nov 13th 2006 6:21PM
Richard HammondFans of popular British automotive show Top Gear will be happy to hear that co-host Richard Hammond, who suffered from serious injuries in a 288mph jet car crash, has gotten back behind the wheel. I should add that his mother and wife probably aren't that happy about it, but car fanatics know that Hammond belongs in the driver's seat.

Just ask American car enthusiast Jay Leno who wrote a column entitled "Motormouth: In Praise of Danger" for the UK's Times defending Hammond's and friend Steve Irwin's dangerous passions. "I am sure Richard would be the first to admit life is a risk. But he was doing what he loved most." Leno goes on to describe how lame American car shows are. When compared to Top Gear, he's right.

Top Gear, which appears on BBC2, aired briefly in the United States on The Discovery Channel where it attracted a small, but enthusiastic US fanbase, which now exchanges clips over services like YouTube and through shared online downloads.

dries

@onlyRumors: indead, it's the same guy of Brainiac, the rather strange humourous youthfull science show.

November 14 2006 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OnlyRumors

IS he the same guy on Brainiac?

November 14 2006 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Geoffrey

Great to see the Hamster back.....this show is probably the most entertaining shows in the world. Lets hope he didn't whitened his teeth heheh

November 14 2006 at 5:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Glad to hear that Hamster's back. I don't drive - don't even own a car - and if I did it would be something like a Prius, assuming that a hybrid would survive in the sort of weather we get around here. Still I find "Top Gear" to be an amazingly enjoyable show (and not just a car show) because of the personalities of the "presenters", Clarkson, May and Hammond. And of course The Stig.

November 14 2006 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tozmervo

Glad to hear he's doing well. I hate dealing with cars and car people, but I LOVE Top Gear. Don't ask me why. It's addictive.

November 13 2006 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply