November 23, 2014

CSI: Miami - Darkroom

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Nov 14th 2006 12:17AM

Tripp and Wolfe(S05E08) After last week's episode, I read a decent chunk of comments about how viewers weren't too excited about Boa Vista and all the screen time she's been getting as the newest member of the team. As one commenter put it, "It seems the producers are trying to get us to like the Boa Vista character by making her the center of Season 5."

Well, I don't think most people realized it (unless they read it somewhere beforehand as I did), but this episode was based partly on a true story. Eva LaRue, who plays Natalia, went through a similar ordeal in real life with her sister Nikka. So I think in this case we can cut Boa Vista some slack.

Nikka LaRueNikka LaRue actually guest-starred in this episode. She had a brief cameo as one of the reporters during Horatio's press conference. Nice touch, getting her involved with the episode. Plus, she got to work with her sister. I would imagine that was a pretty cool experience for both of them.

Moving on, the episode was one of the better ones we've gotten this season. It focused on a guy who ran a ring of model photographers. He traveled all over the country and when he wasn't snapping photos, he was murdering the subjects. On his most recent trip to Miami, Natalia's sister Anya was one of those women. Of course they got to her in time though. The only thing that bugged me about it was the entire time, I felt like there was a lack of urgency. Sure, they were looking for Anya... but no one (especially Natalia) seemed to be concerned more than usual.

Erica, Wolfe's reporter friend, was back. I really don't like her. When she released the info to the public, regarding Anya's relationship to Natalia? Total jerk move. Loved it when Calleigh told her off afterward though.

I think my favorite scene was when Horatio made it to the photographer's studio near the end of the episode. It seemed like sort of an homage to The Man With The Golden Gun, no? Similar to when Bond was chasing Scaramanga through that maze with all the strobe lights and shadows. It was cool the way they shot it. I liked it.

Other stuff:

• Wolfe's uncle was a safe-cracker and he taught his nephew the trade at age 11? That was a bit convenient since Wolfe and Tripp just happened to bump into a safe.
  • I'm starting to get sick of the little feud between Wolfe and Delko. I don't even remember why they're fighting. But Delko is constantly shutting Wolfe down or disagreeing with him and it's getting old.
  • I liked how they cut the episode about two minutes short to show pictures of missing women from various kidnapping cases still pending around the country. Reminded me of the Soul Asylum video for "Runaway Train."

So overall, as I said, one of the better episodes. Anyone else hang around for the previews for next week? Is it just me, or are the previews for this show telling us less and less every week? I'm not even sure what the next episode is about other than that tagline the voice-over kept repeating: "Everything is for sale." Or something like that... oh well.

Choochi

all everyone keeps saing that if they had told the real life story of what hPPENED TO EVA LA RUE AND HER SISTER THE SOTRY WOULD ONLY BE LIKE 5 MINUTES LONG BECAUSE NOTHIN HAPPENED TO HER SISTER. HER SISTER WAS PHOTOGRAPHER BY WILLIAM BRADFORD AND THAT WAS IT, FORTUNATLEY. THEY DIDNT FIND OUT HE WAS A PYSCO UNTIL LAST YEAR. SO THIS EPISODE, HAD THEY DONE IT BASED UPON THE LA RUE'S REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE, WOULD HAVE ONLY LAST APPROX. 5 MINUTES. AND FOR I THINK IT WAS ROB. THEIR REAL LIFE STORY WAS SHOWING ON THE SHOW "48." YOU CAN ALSO DO THIS; IN THE SEARCH ENGINE DO AOLSEARCH.COM THEN SEAR EVA LE RUE. ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE THEY WILL SHOW U LIKE A 5 MINUTES INTERVIEW OF EVA NAD HER SISTER NIKA FROM "48" BUT ITS LIKE THAT OTHER GUY SAID. IF YOU DONT LIKE THE SHOW DONT WATCH IT. STICK TO THE OLD EPISODES WHICH ARE STILL SHOWIN ON A&E. BECAUSE WILL YALL ARE COMPLAINING AND NOT DOING ANYHING THEY ARE STILL MAKING MONEY. AND HERE ARE THOSE WHO FEEL THAT EVA LA RUE ADAM RODRIGEZ AND DAVID CARUSO ARE GOOD THESBIANS. I AM A HUGE EVA LA RUE FAN SO IM SURE MY POINT OF VIEW ON HER IS BAIS BUT I THINK NATALIA'S CHARACTER IS BETTER THIS SEASON THEN LASTS. SORRY FOR THE CAPS. I HIT IT BY ACCIDENT AND I DIDNT FEEL LIKE TYPING IT ALL OVER AGAIN.

February 09 2007 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Choochi

this is in responce to alysha. Sasha wasnt natalia and anya's sister she was anya's room mate. they never should the other sister unfrotunately. but her real life sister, Nika, was on there which was cool. poor natalia she went through this in real life with her sister. it must have been really hard for her to play this role.

February 09 2007 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diana Suero

I love Adam Rodriguez and his acting. If you don't like his acting or Caruso then don't watchthe show.

January 21 2007 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry

I watch so many episodes of CSI Miami on both the network and A&E that I can't tell you which was the "first episode" of this season. I watch because I'm hooked on Emily Procter, for her looks, acting, and character portrayal. Therefore, I was very upset when at the end of recent show (rerun?) she removed her namplate from the Lab directory. Does this mean she's gone from the show??

December 03 2006 at 4:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eihl

I like this episode, just like any CSI: Miami episodes! I am a BIG fan of CSI, esp. CSI Miami. But what I don't get is of all the actresses in the world do they have to get the services of Emily Procter!!! I mean, she's the most annoying person I've ever seen on tv! I wish she gets a voice change and thorough acting lessonssssss! They should kill her in that show and replaced her with somebody who can be more credible.

November 30 2006 at 12:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alysha

I really liked this episode, although Natalia's sister Sasha did not seem half as concerned about their sister as Natalia and the team, and they didn't seem more concerned than they usually are. I loved the part where Natalia goes up to the reporer ans says " hey reporter chick" and starts to tell her off when Calleigh tells her to leave it alone and then tells her off herself that was great.

November 25 2006 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ed

Forgetting the real-life connection, the episode was ruined for me by the preposterous concept that someone whose uncle was a "safe-cracker" could be taught at age 11 to stand 6 inches from a giant safe and hear the inner workings in order to open it. THAT IS RIDICULOUS, no safe of that size could opened that easily

November 18 2006 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mika

First, I jsut want to thank all the people who care enough about the show to say their viewpoints. #15 views on not watching the show if you don't like an episode-well Rob that's not this issue. It's a free country and you can say whatever you want about the show or characters. That's what's called a forum discussion. You don't always have to like episode. Personally, people have made some observations about the show that if the writers would read them-might help the show out. Keep saying your thoughts people-whether good or bad!!!!

November 17 2006 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

The episode was very entertaining. I give it an 8 out of 10. As far as acting, you couldn't tell from the first episode that none of them can act?
They are just quirky and interesting characters with sometimes impossible knowledge and heroism. They are tv characters not real people!
By the way Boa looked great in that dress. Nice gluteous maximus and legs, who cares about the dress. By the way Boa call me, I'm in the area.
If you don't like the story or the acting, guess what...don't watch the show (this would stop all the whining).
Does anybody know about the real story? Where can I find out more about it?

November 15 2006 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annette

Okay, the name of the song at the end was - Our Hell, by Emily Haines.

November 15 2006 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply