November 20, 2014

Jericho: Crossroads

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 15th 2006 9:16PM

Jericho(S01E09) Right now, this show is better than Lost. Yeah, I said it.

While Lost seems to be, well, lost because they've suddenly turned into a show about a prison and a love triangle, this show is doing almost everything right. Yeah, I know, that might not be fair, because this is only the ninth episode of Jericho and Lost is in the middle of its third season. But I sense good things to come from Jericho, and this season of Lost has only showed me that the very structure of the show that I loved that first season and a half has now become a giant weight that's starting to sink the show. But that's a whole other rant for another day.

Ravenwood finds out Eric's address from his jacket and comes to town...

They stop at Stanley's farm early in the morning and act like they're Eric's friends, but Stanley knows better. He says he doesn't know Eric, and they leave. Stanley and the girls go to the Green home to warn the town. Jake and Hawkins get the town to build a barricade on the town bridge, which sets off a gun battle when Ravenwood comes by and tells them they're under government order to get supplies. They said they'll be back in four hours (which I think is generous, but good for the episode I guess).

Jake and Hawkins' plan? To blow up the bridge. Eric doesn't want to do it, and Johnston agrees that they have to be stopped no matter what, but Hawkins starts to make his own explosives.

Blowing up the bridge will mean that the townsfolk on the other side will be cut off, including Stanley. He wants to stay with his sister, while Mimi goes off to be with the rest of the town.

Speaking of the rest of the town, it's the day that Emily was going to get married and she's bummed, not to mention having dreams about what her wedding day could have been. Heather tries to make her happy and plans a whole day of activities, in that best-friend-is-really-annoying kind of way. But their plans are foiled by officials who tell the town to stay inside because of Ravenwood. And by "inside" that means that bar, where Heather gets to know the new doc in town over drinks.

April decides to tell Eric that she's pregnant, but before she can, Eric tells her that he's in love with Mary. This was the only part of the show that I wasn't too thrilled with. It's an OK plot in general, but April just took Eric's hand and it seemed like she was just standing there looking at him for seven hours instead of telling him about the baby. Lame device, one of those scenes where you're just yelling at the screen saying "just tell him!" But he tells her about Mary and she just runs out of the room crying. Gail tells him off. Eric leaves home, and Gail says that April is going to stay with them.

At the bridge, Jakes wires it and himself to blow. The Ravenwood head comes up to him and tells him to surrender. Before they can talk more, Hawkins shoots the Ravenwood sniper dead. The Ravenwood head isn't happy, and calls the rest of the team to come forward. Just then, Eric shows up on the other side of the bridge...with Jonah! They hold guns on the miltary men from the other side. The head guy agrees with Jake that the town isn't that important, so they'll leave. But one day the country and the government is going to be back to normal and they're going to want to help get the town back on its feet.

"And you know who they're going to send? Me."

Gray stills want to blow up the bridge, but he's overruled by Johnston. He's still the Mayor, though for how long in a town that's growing increasingly scared of the outside?

So, yeah, while Jericho and Lost are very different shows, they're the same in the fact that both of them are about a group of people trapped together and cut off from the rest of the world. But while Lost is pummeling us with flashbacks and mystery and a new question every single episode (and answers you're not even sure are really answers), Jericho has a continuing story with so many real possibilities that its actually exciting and dramatic. That island is actually very limiting (which explains all the flashbacks). This small town actually has stories going on inside, and a dramatic mystery of what's going on outside. If anything, it's the opposite of Lost: a group of people who don't want the outside to intrude. And that's interesting to me.

Trogdor

I, too, was under the impression that Heather and blondie didn't know eachother beforehand. I'm encouraged by the idea toward the end of this episode to create an organized, trained, "officially" sanctioned militia for the town; I assume much good can come of this (though there's plenty of potential for bad, too).

One thing I can't stand, though, is the apparent lack of desire for reaching out ... if I ran that town, I'd have volunteers going to every point of the compass, if for only a day or so's travel and coming right back, and when they get back send someone else immediately, for the sake of learning what other towns are still viable, what they're experiencing & need, and what other information they can find out.

Why oh why isn't Jericho doing this? Sure, coming up with volunteers would be difficult, and it'd be expensive in terms of supplies ... but wouldn't it be worth it to find out what's going on in other nearby cities? And if other cities are doing the same, then to find out what they've found out, too?

November 22 2006 at 1:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Big D

re #19:
The wedding daydreams are just that, daydreams. They are not flashbacks, they are taking place after the two have met & gotten to know each other. And I think we all agree that they (the town) do not seem worried about the future with the scenes they are showing us. Jonah's group is the one that is preparing the way most of us think they should, they are stockpiling, have multiple vehicles running etc.

November 18 2006 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Right Coaster

I am amazed that no one is thinking about the future on this show. How do they expect to get through the winter? Where will the food and fuel come from? They only seem to live day to day, or should I say episode to episode. Also, on Stanley's farm there is a beautiful view of tree-covered hills. Are there really views like this in Kansas? I've never been there and always imagined it being mostly flat. I was rooting for the demise of Johnston, but knew it couldn't happen - this man has the constitution of a superhero, but he is tedious beyond belief. I think I still see him as the bad guy in Deadwood. Also, were the blond and Heather friends before the bombs? I thought they only met afterward, which makes the wedding daydreams weird, because she is the maid of honor in them.

November 17 2006 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

I liked this episode - the scenes with the actions were the best in terms of suspense, but I also liked the flashforward dreams (smart, it was). But most of all, I liked that no one told Eric that April was pregnant. I hate when a man stays with a woman whose heart he will break just because.... and I think it would seem cliche for me otherwise as well. Let April take care of herself. And I hadn't thought about the role of men v women, but it is an interesting point. I hope they will develop this a bit. Otherwise, Eric (who I always thought was a dumbass) stepped up! What did Jake say to his dad about the security force? I did not catch it:(

November 16 2006 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SD

I was actually quite bored with last night's episode. I really don't care about any of the characters except Hawkins. The mother and father both grate on my nerves. The Hawkins mystery is the only one I want to know about and of course, who bombed the US. I'll probably give it one more episode before I stop watching.

There's now frakking way this show is better than LOST. Jericho has absolutely no depth to the story or to the characters. LOST tells it's story very slowly and the fast-paced, results-driven people of this world just can't handle that.

November 16 2006 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeff smith

Hey Bob at least you didnt't leave out any major points this week, good job for paying attention finally! If they would just lose the sappy story lines backed up with that awful soundtrack this show could make the top 10. I fast forward every time the blonde girl comes on cause she is just not a good actress and her story line is a dead end. I keep waiting for Jeb and Matt from "Red Dawn" to pop up and yell "Wolverines". Bring on Chinese!!

November 16 2006 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dtt

good show. A bit cheesy -- but the concept alone (partial & random nuclear holocost) is enough to make this show a winner.

November 16 2006 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gene

I have to agree with the comment about the division of the sexes on this show. Almost every woman on Jericho is whiny and self-absorbed with the exception of Jake's mom.
Another thing that really annoys me is the "life goes on" aspect -- the Halloween festivities earlier, the girls running around getting drunk, it all seems so ridiculous and unbelievable. One month after the bombs, these people act like it's summer vacation.
The flashbacks/dreams were a drag. As in Lost, they generally serve to stop the story cold and drop you into what seems to be a soap opera. Hate them. At least on Lost, they are well-written and tell a complete story in and of themselves -- the Jericho flashbacks just crashed in and stopped the show. By the second half of the episode, I was skipping past them and watching only the bridge stuff.
Too much Lifetime drama in this show. Not enough gritty realism about life after the attacks.

November 16 2006 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

WooHoo... DB Sweeney! I'm looking forward to Ravenwood coming back if we get more DB Sweeney.

November 16 2006 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TeresaMac

In response to TedSez: I am with you - was completely surprised with the total lack of women in the standoff last night - on the other side too - lots of women in military now.

And in response to Rick: I think sometimes small town/rural America might have slightly less romantic notions about women being frail, as they have a pioneer past, and memories of strong women who worked and had to fight to survive for and with their families. I've read a few pioneer women bios, and they had to deal with a lot! And do it with a gun sometimes :) And mayor's wife certainly seems to be in this mold.

November 16 2006 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply