December 21, 2014

Luke Perry joins cast of David Milch's latest

by Julia Ward, posted Nov 16th 2006 3:01PM
Luke PerryFormer 90210 heartthrob Luke Perry has joined the cast of Deadwood scribe David Milch's latest outing for HBO, John from Cincinnati. Production on the series began this month with Perry in a guest starring role that has turned full-time.

If you've been following news about Deadwood, you know that John from Cincinnati is the project responsible for truncating our beloved Black Hills-set episodic. HBO chief Chris Albrecht told reporters back in July that he was the guy who suggested ending Deadwood early to get started on John, a project for which he apparently has more enthusiasm. I personally have yet to forgive him for this.

While I'm sure David Milch could spin television gold from straw, John from Cincinnati's premise is just such a letdown after spending a couple of seasons with Al Swearengen, Calamity Jane and Sol Starr. The show, which was originally titled John from Cincinnati Meets the Surfing Yosts, focuses on a dysfunctional Imperial Beach CA family of surfing champs - The Yosts. Their lives are interrupted by the arrive of the titular John, a boarding savant who has come for lessons, and Barry Cunningham, a man come to avenge a wrong done to him 23 years earlier.

While I continue to lament the too early departure of Deadwood, I am looking forward to whatever loopy vernacular Milch and his team come up with for this SoCal brood. There's no way it could be as colorful as a show the revived the word "hooplehead" and raised the use of "cocksucker" to an artform, but Cali regionalisms have a poetry all their own.

Justin Ward

Will this be Baywatch with cussing?

December 04 2006 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
caesar

I'm grew up in IB, CA and am proud to call it home! I hope this show does this city well and doesn't portray it as Malibu south; it's not and will never be. IB is home to a stalwart group of middle class with a large portion of the "tweakers" many of my friends have come to be. Nevertheless I look forward to seeing many of my old haunts and take great pride in HBO allowing the nation to catch a glimpse of the place I grew up in!!!

November 22 2006 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gail

So does this mean that Luke's lottery show isn't coming back?

November 17 2006 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oscar Dahl, BuddyTV

LUKE PERRY IS BACK!

Its about time the man, the myth, the legend reemerges as a big-time star.

November 16 2006 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Retro TV Sitcoms

Nice to see he's keeping busy, I pretty much forgot about him after 90210.

November 16 2006 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dmitri

I cannot think of anything more dull than a series about pro-surfers. Can't help but picture goofy "adult teens" in bright cloths. What sort of drama can one get from this? Films I've seen about surfing all have the same basic airheaded themes..

Perhaps they'll try to make it "real" by shooting it rough. Gray urban environments contrasted with the ocean. Who knows. I'm trying to find an interesting angle which might be why it appeals to the man who gave us the filthy fantastic grit that is Deadwood.

November 16 2006 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

So is Luke Perry's other drama that was on NBC about the Lotto winners done then?

November 16 2006 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Douglin

There was a variety article last month that said he had started working on the Deadwood movies:

"Milch said he'd already begun work on the script for the first telepic, which he is aiming to have shot in time for a premiere next summer."

I had thought that both movies would be a kind of mini series thing with the second one airing the night after the first one but it seems the wait between them could be much longer

November 16 2006 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark G

Let do our best to ensure these dirty c*%ks*&kers pay for cancelling deadwood.....Don't watch this show!!!!

November 16 2006 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply