August 29, 2014

Robin Williams still isn't funny

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 16th 2006 2:06PM

Robin WilliamsIf there's any doubt that Robin Williams is no longer funny (really, do you need anymore evidence than any talk show appearance he has made in the last several years?), here's a clip from yesterday's episode of Ellen. Thrill! As Williams does an Irish accent. Marvel! At the Italian accent that's ten times for cliched than that Italian chef on The Simpsons. Wonder! Why Ellen DeGeneres would actually pick a game for Williams to play that actually highlights his most irritating quality. Isn't it about time that people realize that not only is he not funny, but these "impressions" are about as good as the kind your buddy does after three beers on a Friday night?

The audience seems to love it, but maybe it's only in that "yeah, it's kinda lame, but I'm on TV so I should laugh" kind of way. At least I'm hoping that's why they're laughing.

girl w/ ambition

I found him funnier in his films (Aladdin, Mrs. Doubtfire, etc.) than in his standup. I watched 3 of his routines and never once belly laughed. I'm not going to knock using vulgarities in comedy, because it can be hilarious, but it just doesn't sound right coming from him. It's like he's trying too hard (with people like Eddie Griffin, or Katt Williams, it's to die for!). One thing I will give him though, is that he is a fascinating person to watch. He's brilliant, and I keep watching his shows because of it-- I get a glimpse into his mind.

July 02 2012 at 6:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sherry Harold

I was just hoping to talk to Mr. Robin Williams. I love his work and everything he has done in his life. If by chance this does get read by Mr. Williams, I would like to say your the greatest. And I would like to ask you a questions. How does someone like me whose had a life you coudn't even imagine in your worst nightmares, ever survive? I have tried so hard to keep all my feelings locked inside from all the pain I have been through and just tried to work so much that I wouldn't have to deal with them. But it back fired on me. I had a nervous break down and now I can't work. I can't give my son a decent home or clothes, etc. Could you give me some of your wisdom. The doctors don't seem to really care, and I just want someone I admire, and yet they don't know me, to give me some kind of words to live by. I now get dissability and by no means does that help, and that makes Christmas and birthdays, just non-exsistance around my house. My son says it is ok, as long as mommy is ok, and I love him for that. But some day I just wish I could give him a nice home with a yard for him to play in. I am sorry for boring you, I was just hoping for some words of wisdom. Your the greatest and I admire you. If you get this and I hope you do, thanks for listening. Sherry Harold

November 29 2006 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

Some of the responses he did on Ellen Degeneres' show were and were not funny. I didn't hear the punchlines that would push my button or make me belly up laugh. The audience wasn't laughing as much--their facial expressions told me that Robin Williams' impressions weren't as funny. Robin needs to do far better than that.

November 28 2006 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I think that Robin Williams isn't as funny as he once was. He's still doing the same person impressions as he did 5 years ago. He needs to freshen up his comedy act with his writing. I think the alcohol abuse he's had on and off has had a huge effect on his comedy stand up and the movies he's acted in. But he will be remembered as one of the funniest comedians in his prime.

November 28 2006 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

I don't know about his last four films being comedies. Man of the Year was more of a thriller, but promoted as a comedy. He seems to lean towards drama with darker themes, than towards outright comedies. And when he does do comedies-- at least as of late, his tendancies have been to perform in comedies aimed at younger children, the exception being Death to Smoochy which was a dark comedy.

Man of the Year - Thriller/Drama/Satire
Deconstructing Harry - Comedy
Fathers' Day - Comedy
Hamlet - Drama
Jack - Drama

November 16 2006 at 11:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Patch Adams. That is all.

November 16 2006 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sara

I think Robin Williams is very funny, regardless of what the blog says. Just because he is a comedian doesn't mean he is going to be funny ALL the time. He hasn't been in the spotlight so much lately and his movies aren't as popular as his earlier years. I still find him to be a genuine guy and still a great comedian. He is also nominated for a People's Choice Award for favorite funny male star. If you want to vote for him or anyone else you can at www.pcavote.com. I work with the People's Choice Community and already voted.

November 16 2006 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

Robin Williams is one of the greatest and funniest comedians ever! He was on Jay Leno and Conan o'Brien recently and I laughed my head off.

November 16 2006 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Robin Williams truly hasn't been funny since, oh, maybe "Aladdin." I think "Patch Adams" was probably the beginning of the end for him. Generally, when he's on talk shows, he's so ADHD all he can do is shtick; he can't even talk. Martin Short is the same way.

November 16 2006 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Big D

"only 4-5 movies out of his last 25 films were actual comedies."

His last four films in a row were comedies. I find you comment inadvertently funny - it doesn't say much for him as a comedian lately. 9 of his last 25 movies were comedies. Including classics like "Death to Smoochy". His next four films are supposed to be comedies, and include such possible nutty laugh fests as "Ms. Doubtfire 2" and "The Krazees"

Robin Williams has always strongly depended on shtick (talking fast with lots of crazy voices) to be funny. The problem is shtick has a very short shelf life. We've all seen it, and seen it when it was better and fresher. The comedy part of his act was always weak, and is getting weaker.

Robin Williams is this generations answer to Milton Berle. Finally someone else noticed.

November 16 2006 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply