October 30, 2014

The OC: The Metamorphosis

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Nov 16th 2006 10:06PM

Chris Pratt and Adam Brody(S04E04) This is it! The episode I had been telling you all about. How incredibly cool was that opening sequence? Summer zooming through the grieving process, the classical music, the skewed camera angles, the on-screen text. Rachel Bilson really gave her character new life with this scene. I have a new found respect for Summer Roberts after seeing that. I don't even think The OC has tried taking on something like that before. It reminded me of something out of... well I don't know. But it was very un-OC and I loved it.

So as the title suggests, everyone and everything was changing in this episode. We're starting to get a better idea of how things are going to be post-Marissa and not everyone heads in the direction we might expect.

Summer and Seth took center stage here but this time it was Seth who hopped on a plane. At first Summer rescinds her new tree-hugging ways. There's sex, shopping, and gossip. The two of them even watched season three of The Valley! But despite Summer's desire to resume wearing designer dresses and shaving her legs, she's still dedicated to the causes that Che is. Fortunately, Seth is über-supportive of his girlfriend and it seems like things will be OK. He does, however, steal Summer's move and leave on an earlier flight when she's not around. Everything seems like it will be alright but I think it's going to take Seth some time to adjust to Summer's new attitude. She's much smarter than she ever let on, that's for sure. I loved Seth's new drawing of Little Miss Vixen though. There was a big UN symbol and woodland creatures running around... funny stuff.

Back in Newport, Neil has officially left Julie. He's moved to Seattle and keeps "getting bossed around by that short sassy lady." That's another Grey's Anatomy reference. I wonder why they stuck those in? For the simple humor or because The OC is up against Grey's? Anyway, Neil said Julie and Kaitlin could use the house as long as they needed (would that ever really happen?) and Taylor has taken over Summer's old bedroom. While we'd like to believe that Julie has had her share of men, she still ends up going out, getting drunk at a club with Taryn, and dancing with a bunch of younger men. Kaitlin saw her mother (she had a fake ID and got into the same club) and the only question I have is what will Kaitlin get in return once she blackmails her mother with this new knowledge? The two of them did have a "no man drama" pact.

What didn't I see coming? The potential for a romance between Taylor and Ryan. In order to get divorced from her French husband (Henri-Michelle... the "sexual Jedi"), she had to prove infidelity. Ryan helped out by making out with Taylor right in front of the husband's lawyer at the yacht club. Divorce granted. The kiss was all business from Ryan's end but Taylor clearly enjoyed it. Later she made Ryan a peach torte and they were flirting while they ate it. Like I said, did not see that coming but I suppose she's the logical choice for a love interest... unless they brought Theresa or Lindsay back. But I don't think we'll see either of those two again.

The only story I didn't like in this episode was Sandy and Kirsten. Sandy was busy trying to find new man friends and Kirsten, well she did nothing. I hope there's more to these two this season because right now they're too happy and it's not interesting. Kirsten needs to get back on the sauce or something drastic or else where's the drama in this relationship?

Overall, great episode. For the most part, it maintained the pace of the season. I'm still interested.

Vinn

Does anyone know the song that was playing when Ryan kissed Taylor?

January 05 2007 at 6:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vinn

Does anyone know the title and artist who did the song that was playing when Ryan kissed Taylor?

January 05 2007 at 6:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sergio

Where can I get this episode? Here in Mexico they're barely beggining with the 4th season. I started watching this episode somewhere on the web and suddenly stop running so now I can't wait to see what happens next. Please! any ideas?

December 08 2006 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Murphy

Add me on that list of being "underwhelmed" about Summer's grief. Did FOX pay you to say that?

While I DO see Summer the same as I always have, things will get pretty interesting with her, Che(z), and Seth. Damn those Love triangles!

Wow, Ryan and Taylor!? I actually asked myself 'what if' way back in Season 3, but to see it actually come to fruition, nice! I just hope Taylor doesn't become overly annoying to him. Maybe Ryan's cool, calm, tough guy act will blend together with her quirkiness. This will be interesting to see...

Kaitlyn and Julie...like daughter, like mother. They both broke their deals. Remember, Kaitlyn is a minor in a 21+ club. So the whole thing is void.

Sandy and Kirsten: Poor poor Kirsten...she has no friends. Are older people really that lonely that they have to force friendships with people? I mean seriously...I was irritated by the whole fact that Julie is Kirsten's only friend. Pfft!

Overall, great episode, look forward to more. I am still bugged about the "Awesome opening sequence."

November 18 2006 at 3:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ben b.

Yup, this was one good episode that has restored my faith in the show. Funny thing about Ryan and Taylor is that my sister actually thought about it before season 4 started as a "what if" scenario, but of course it was in joking terms. Nonetheless, it's a good twist I didn't expect to ever happen.

Speaking of Taylor, the actress who plays her, Autumn Reeser, did an FHM shoot. I'm not sure which edition it was, but it wasn't long ago. You can try Googling it. But, if you think she's hot on the O.C., you'll think she's even hotter after you see her on FHM.

Another thing regarding Summer's intro. I thought those stages were the 5 stage of death and not grief. Or is it the same thing?

November 17 2006 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

I hope that the people who don't watch the show anymore because of Marissa's death realize that there are still other characters on the show that are so great. Many of you should check it out again because the writing is top notch and they are still one of the best group of actors on television today.

Ben McKenzie is one of the most underrated actors on television and you will be suprised at how much chemistry he has with Taylor.

November 17 2006 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

This was a show with the same quality level of season 1, and that's the first time I've been able to say that since, well, season 1. Everything worked in this episode! And while Ryan's rescue of Taylor may have been all business on his end, that sweet little tap of her nose after the kiss seemed to come from someplace other than business. I would never in a MILLION years have picked those two crazy kids, but I think they can make it work.

Anything's better than Marissa.

November 17 2006 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Ip

Excellent episode, Ryan and Taylor came out of nowhere and strangely enough, I liked it too.

Is it true this is going to be the last season for the OC?

November 17 2006 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

im going to be the nth person to say i was underwhelmed by the opening. i kept waiting for this awesome thing to happen and after seth said "my babys back" and it cut to the credits, i realized the awesome thing was over. seth's line to me was better than summers grief, basically because i've seen that same scene a few times in other tv shows over the years.

another great episode and i also like taylor more and more. i thought she was a good actress (anyone's better than ryan) but they filled out her character.

and they just inserted summer's intelligence during the third season so its not to say she's smarter than anyone thought, they just decided after the fact (just like with ryan) that they needed them to get into good schools. anyone show can pull a zach morris (her 2300 was better than his 1503 - yes 1503, sat score).

November 17 2006 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

I agree that Summer's opening scene was a bit underwhelming after the build up you gave it. Don't get me wrong. I absoultely love Summer. But I was expecting a lot more from the way you talked about it.

I love Seth - he's definitely my #1 reason for watching this show. However, he was also a tad lacking this week. His wit is what draws me. He seemed off a bit. Oh well. I'm sure he'll be back to his old self soon. Maybe it was the lack of his interaction with is parents & Ryan. Those are always some funny moments...

On the topic of Ryan, I really like the direction his character is going in. As sad as it is for him to have to go through the pain of losing Marissa, it allows us to see him show some emotion. And this thing with Taylor will definitely be interesting. I wasn't sure at first while watching last night, but after reading a few comments and giving it some more thought - it might not be such a bad thing...

We shall see!