July 26, 2014

Shark: Love Triangle

by Michael Canfield, posted Nov 17th 2006 10:25AM
Shark(S01E08) Henry Simmons returns as Isaac finally, and it's probably a good idea that they delayed bringing him back until now. For whatever reason this was done, it did give some of the other series regulars a chance to establish themselves.

Stark likes him, seeing in Isaac someone like himself maybe. Impulsive, but smart and committed. Since Stark's first job offer, Isaac's been working security for a wealthy rapper who happens to be a total jerk, so after Isaac inquires about the county's dental plan, he's on board with Stark.

Raina's a bit doubtful of Isaac and his investigative methods, at least initially, setting up some love/hate sexual tension ala Stark and Jess. Or at least I thought initially there was supposed to be some sexual tension between the characters played by James Woods and Jeri Ryan. If it is there, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere in a hurry.

The personal angle this week is that Stark's daughter happened to be at the party in which a girl is killed, and a friend of those involved.

Acting like the rich parents in any one of the Law & Order series, the rich parents of one of the kids start closing ranks once it's clear their daughter is a suspect. The kid tries to kill herself, but Stark's not having any of that noise, and he has her arrested in her hospital bed. Stark's supposed to be tough, and it's good to see him act tough, and not only in court, based on the info he has at the time. Of course, the killer is not who we're lead to believe it is, but that's television.

Stark's daughter Julie, meanwhile, talks to the school paper and the story gets picked up by the AP. Stark just about pops a neck vein when he hears about that. But he's happy again after demolishing an expert defense witness on the stand.

For once, instead of having all the answers himself, Stark has to play catch-up. Isaac and Troy find out some stuff through their investigations, and even the two blond lawyers, Casey and Madeline, make themselves useful. The cast is getting large, and I think, if they decide they need to trim, they could cut Casey the easiest. True, he has hooked up with Madeline before, but evidently she's willing to hook up with just about anyone anytime at the office, so she won't be lonely.

Judy

dear "JayK" - those are my initials too and that is exactly the question I have; who is the artist and what is name of song playing at end of Love Triangle, words focusing on "Is It Love?" I can't find this out anywhere and am about to give up.

November 27 2006 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JayK

I hope you can help me. What is the name of the artist and song at the very end of the "Love Triangle" episode? The voice was reminiscent of Leon Russell and seemed to focus on the lyric "Is it love."

ANYBODY?

November 22 2006 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TedSez

I like the way this show continues to be entertaining even though it's still kind of dopey.

For instance:
*It was obvious that the main suspect didn't do it as soon as she was introduced; and I figured out who actually did it, and why, about 20 minutes before the brilliant investigators did.
*The DA's office does all the investigating on this show. I'm sure the LAPD is happy to be absolved of all their responsibilities.
*Stark's TV set magically turns itself on whenever there's a news story that affects him. I wish mine could do that!
*When Stark hears that an auto accident happened in Brentwood, a large section of Los Angeles housing tens of thousands of people, he immediately worries that his daughter might be affected by it. (And he must be psychic, because she is!)

On the plus side, Sarah Carter as ambitious hoochie-lawyer Madeline just keeps getting better. I loved her conversation with Raina about the good-looking new guy:

Raina: "You'll sleep with anyone, won't you?"
Madeline: "Is that an invitation?"

November 17 2006 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

naw ... it is just another assistant DA who is found dead with a prostitute in an official vehicle.

So sayeth the promo

November 17 2006 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

As good as this episode was, I can't wait for next week.

*** POSSIBLE SPOILER? ***

Didn't I hear Stark say (in next week's promo) something about "one of our own"? Leads me to believe that possibly one of the regulars is a victim. Will we see the death of a recurring character? Anyhow, it does look good for next time.

November 17 2006 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply