November 27, 2014

Which is better: Must-See now or Must-See then?

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 19th 2006 3:33PM

Friends When NBC announced their new Thursday night schedule, a lot of people (including NBC) started to say that this was "Must-See TV" all over again. And not only does Newsday's Verne Gay agree, he thinks that the new schedule is better than the old one.

What do you think? There were many different "Must-See" Thursday night schedules on NBC over the years, so we could pick and choose. Some had Frasier, some had Wings, some had Mad About You. But let's make it an even 10 years ago. The 1996 "Must-See" Thursday night schedule was Friends at 8, The Single Guy at 8:30, Seinfeld at 9, Suddenly Susan at 9:30, and ER at 10. The schedule now is My Name Is Earl at 8, The Office at 8:30, Scrubs at 9, 30 Rock at 9:30, and ER at 10.

Wow, this is a hard one for me. I was never that into Frasier or Mad About You, but I loved both Friends and Seinfeld. Suddenly Susan certainly drag the old schedule down a notch. Hmmm...I think it actually might be a tie for me, even though The Office (like Friends and Seinfeld) is one of my favorite shows of all-time. Interesting that ER is still on the schedule. I'd pick the 1996 ER over the 2006 one.

Gordy

Much better now. There isn't a clear 'anchor' show this time around, before you could tell which show (Cosby, Seinfeld, Friends, etc.) was the heavyweight for the night. All 4 of the comedies (okay, 3), do well individually. 30 Rock will get there.

November 20 2006 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shawn

put it this way. i'm asking off work for thursdays to watch NBC.

pathetic maybe. but who cares!

November 20 2006 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

Personally I'd say the old lineup just for the fact I think the water cooler shows now on Thursdays are on ABC. I hear about Grey's and Ugly Betty the next day even though I don't watch them. Seinfeld was on when I was in high school and that was talked about all day Friday. I don't hear much about today's NBC shows.

November 19 2006 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mikey the L

I have to say the new lineup is much stronger, overall. None as great as Seinfeld, but all high qual comedies. I do not watch ER.

November 19 2006 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

The Office and Scrubs are the best comedies (other than How I Met Your Mother) on TV right now. I don't care for My Name is Earl, although Jason Lee is awesome and it is still better than most comedies. 30 Rock is getting better but still has a long way to go. None are better than Friends and Seinfeld, but collectively they are the best lineup in years (although the Office is starting to get to Friends/Seinfeld status).

November 19 2006 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

Initial seasons of Friends were pretty good, but I think the show was bad to mediocre after the 5th/6th season.

This lineup is definitely better. The Office and Scrubs are brilliant, Earl is good, and 30 Rock is getting better (the last episode was hilarious).

November 19 2006 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carlos

I pick the actual one. Is much better. All these shows are must see while back in the days only two of them were.

November 19 2006 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
purpleslog

The Single Guy and "Susan" were mediocre at their best.

There is not a weak link in the new lineup.

There is also not a timeless show like Seinfeld. The Office is great. Scrubs is great (and under appreciated).

Will the Office be a Seinfeld? I don't know.

I see Seinfeld reruns sometimes, and they still hold up. Friends is not aging as well.

The surprise is "30 Rock". I have not liked SNL recently so I figured it would suck. It is pretty good an getting better.

November 19 2006 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

The current schedule has an aging ER on it; the 1996 schedule had two big clunkers in The Single Guy and Suddeny Susan. Ultimately it comes down to Friends and Seinfeld against the current crop of comedies.

How are we supposed to interpret the 1996 vs. 2006 debate - do we look at the 1996 shows as they were then or do we take into account the totality of their bodies of work?

Looking purely at the shows as they stood in 1996, I'd make the argument for the 2006 schedule.

November 19 2006 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derek

The current "Must See" lineup of EARL, OFFICE, SCRUBS and ROCK is a much better lineup than any of the previous years because I actually enjoy every one of the shows.
Of the 10 years ago lineup the only show I liked was Seinfeld.

November 19 2006 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply