July 25, 2014

Kramer has a Mel Gibson moment

by Julia Ward, posted Nov 20th 2006 3:02PM
Michael RichardsTMZ will be the downfall of more than one celebrity. The LA gossip hounds have posted video of Michael Richards' soon-to-be infamous Laugh Factory performance in West Hollywood.

On Friday night, Richards proved that trying to shake the Seinfeld curse can get to a guy. In the middle of his stand-up routine, Richards took on two hecklers with a racist tirade that included your standard issue racial epithets along with this charmer, "Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a fucking fork up your ass." It was, of course, caught on tape by someone in attendance. Richards has already told the press that he's sorry and will "make amends." I'm tempted to take bets on whether he'll enter rehab, offer a tearful apology to Diane Sawyer or both.

Less you think this incident came out of nowhere, check out hip-hop theater artist Danny Hoch's monologue from Jails, Hospitals and Hip-Hop on his brush with the Seinfeld cast.

Honky

The "N" word is in the dictionary ie. "Nigger" do we have to delete that word from the dictionary ? "Cunt" is not in the dictionary, because that is really a defamamatory word. Why the "big deal" ? Just don't call blacks "niggers" or "coloreds," They prefer to be called "African Americans." Lighten -up !

January 05 2007 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Blair

No, I have no idea what it is to be called a nigger. I've never been called a nigger. However, do you believe that one can only experience racism by being called a nigger? If you do, you might want to search a mirror for that ignorance you've accused others of.

Name ten top WHITE comedians that have spent 30pct of their material making fun of the way black people live/are.

You can't.

I can name twenty BLACK comedians that spend AT LEAST 30pct of their material making fun of the way white people live/are.

There's so much outrage right now, but when Chris Rock stood on stage and screamed, "I HATE WHITE PEOPLE!" I didn't hear anything from all these outraged activists. I didn't hear any complaints from outraged activists where primarily black-oriented movies such as "Soul Plane" pidgeon-holed middle-eastern people as terrorists, or when Chris Rock again made racial comments, this time directed at middle-eastern people instead of the commonly targeted white people.

Racism effects all people, not just black people. The problem is, white people are treated as if they should be immune to racism. Black people are looked at as if they are incapable of racism. The irony being, these actions simply FURTHER the problem in this country. So to apply an old quote here, "Look to thine own." Because racist tirades from black comedians about white people don't have to be recorded on cell phones, you can find them at your local best buy on DVD.

December 05 2006 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

it very interesting to see all the closet racists come out after this incident. you have no idea what it is to be called a nigger. how can you say it is just a word. you act as if you are so educated but you show you utter ignorance by all that you post here. slavery happend here in the states. it is history. read up on it if you missed elementary school.

November 28 2006 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

November 28 2006 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
goldfinger

So I hear now the offended people are trying to get some cash,if this is so then all the "crackers" who have been offended at the racist Chris Rock show should also file a class action suit against him. Lets work it both ways.

November 24 2006 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
goldfinger

I hear now the people that were offended want some cash. If this is correct then all the whities who have been offended by the racisest Chris Rock at his show should file a class action suit against him. Lets work it both ways.

November 24 2006 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tdub

RE: Comment 8 - JW, I couldn't have said it better myself. Do black people listen to themselves? They want an APOLOGY for saying some words?! What good is that?? Sharpton's a big baby crying for attention.

You dont have to agree with what he said. If you found him offensive, then you know not to go see him at a standup club anymore. Make your opinions and let it be it... Why embarass the guy more than he probably already is. What is going on these days? It absolutely scares me that sites like CNN, while reporting this piece of news, referred to the words he used as "The N-Word". Nigger's a word people. It's clearly defined in the dictionary. No need to walk on eggshells here people.

All in all, what I'm trying to get at is people need to grow the hell up. If someone called me a cracker, or makes fun of my mother or talks about things that I dislike, do I make that person apologize? NO, I leave it be, form my opinion of that person and keep my distance. I love the clip on CNN with Sinbad and 3 other random black guys saying the apology wasnt enough. That clip was probably funnier than any standup routine I've ever seen (sad, but funny). Cry me a river, sissys.

November 23 2006 at 1:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Wilson

Way to go Michael. Thats the first funny thing you have ever said. I thought it was hilarious. Keep it up.
as for the stupid Letterman drolling over having anyone controversial on his show so that it cabe entertaining. Letterman has less talent than Richards. Way to go Richard, now I will pay to see you in a club.

November 22 2006 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Heintjes

Wow, career suicide. Very sad that many people will either stop watching Seinfeld or will always associate this with the K-man upon seeing him.

Have you seen today's Mike Luckovich cartoon on the topic?

November 21 2006 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aethlos

i'm white, and i was horrified. gave me chills. but i'm also gay - so i'm hypersensitized to hatred - it makes the hairs on the back of my head stand up, yikes. the worst part about this --- if i were black, i would seriously wonder how many white people are that insane - have that much volcanic hatred simmering beneath their smiles... is it 10%? 20? 30? 50? god forbid, 70? i mean, what the fuck. This clip scares me. It shows me how wrong i am about how good i believe people are. I'm so horrified. There are so many valid reasons to hate people - race, for me, has just never factored into it. - my gay/white 2 cents.

November 21 2006 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply