The Five: What Bob is thankful for
So here we are at the start of Thanksgiving week, that time of year that we give thanks to everything we have in our lives. While most of us will, of course, be thankful for having our family and friends in our lives, we also can't forget about television!
1. Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip getting a full season. Come on, you read this site, so you know this would be number one for me. I think it's a really good show, no matter what some people say. And kudos to NBC for actually giving the show (and Friday Night Lights, too) a full season even though the ratings weren't spectacular. Imagine, a network that didn't cancel a show quickly, instead having a strategy to move it to a new night! Who knows if the show will get a second season, it at least gets a whole first season, and that makes me happy.
2. DVD box sets. TV DVDs are great in general, but it's almost nice when your favorite show comes out in one giant box set, with extras and booklets and a nice package. In the past month or so I've spent a lot of money on sets for The Twilight Zone and The West Wing, and I'll be buying Alias and Brisco County soon too. But I just think of them as Christmas gifts to myself, and I'm really generous.
3. The web. Who would have thought that there would be a day that you could turn on your computer and watch an episode of a TV show you might have missed a couple of days earlier (or your DVR didn't record for some reason - that's been happening a lot to me lately)? The networks are finally starting to "get" the web, and that's a good thing.
4. Thursday nights. The Office has quickly become one of my favorite TV shows of all-time. Every Thursday morning when I realize there's a new episode that night, I smile to myself. And Ugly Betty is one of the best new shows, a real pleasant surprise and a lot of fun. Add to that an improved ER, the return of Scrubs, The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, and it makes for a great night of TV watching.
5. Keith didn't make me review Six Degrees after the pilot. And that makes this A Very Special Thanksgiving.