August 29, 2014

CSI: Miami - Going, Going, Gone

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Nov 21st 2006 7:47AM

CSI: Miami(S05E09) I really do love this show and understand that you have to take it with a grain of salt to truly enjoy it, but c'mon. This episode was ridiculous! How did we go from a charity auction with gorgeous females to a terrorist plot to blow up the Turkey Point nuclear power plant? Only on this show.

I was glad they brought back Jake Berkley, Calleigh's old love interest. We haven't seen him in a few episodes. Now that he's left the ATF and joined the Miami-Dade police department, it'll be interesting to see if their romance continues. I'm thinking yes, or else why bother bringing him back at all? Speaking of Calleigh's love interests, whatever happened to Peter from the treasury department? I thought things were on the up and up for those two after last year's season finale and I'm only now realizing that we haven't seen him in some time.

OK, so here's what happened in the episode. Normally I wouldn't recap the whole case like this, but laying it out only furthers my point that it was damn near ridiculous. So... man has his wife and children kidnapped by terrorists. They want money. So the guy turns to selling heroin and holding "charity" auctions for dates with good looking women. He in turn funnels all the money to the terrorists so they don't kill his family. The terrorists use the money to buy off a stevedore at the port, ship in some plastic explosive, and drive it into a power plant. That is, until Horatio figured it all out and blew up the truck (with all the explosives) with one bullet. The man has pinpoint accuracy! Now tell me... how crazy does that story sound?

Here's something I just noticed, or I should say, here's something that I just realized bothers me. CSI: Miami does it all the time too. I hate when they use a new device (or any new equipment for that matter) and whoever is using it works in an explanation of what it does into their conversation. It's obviously meant for us ignorant viewers, but it always seems like they're trying to explain the stuff to each other. They did it twice in this episode. Once with that 3-D imaging program and again with the bomb sniffing machine. The lines are so canned... "Let me tell you what this expensive piece of equipment does as I use it." OK, done ranting about that.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it feel like the team lacked a sense of urgency once the terrorist plot unfolded? I didn't feel like anyone was worried. I mean, you knew something ridiculous was going to happen once the killer was unmasked and there was still about twelve minutes to go in the episode. I think the problem is that they stacked the story wrong. After Calleigh was shot by the guy at the port, we should never have been told what happened to her. Leave it open and it kicks the rest of the episode up a notch. Leave it as a cliffhanger and give us a week to wonder if she's OK. Instead it's all wrapped up and there's nothing to wonder about except how cheesy next week's case will be.

john

Has anyone bothered to tell David Caruso that he cant act? I thought i read somewhere that when he played on nypd blue he thought he deserved more money and credit and was justly rewarded with a boot off the show ,and thats when it got its highest ratings lol!!!

January 31 2007 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hannah

I hope Mr. Caruso is laughing all the way to the bank!

AND HIS EX WIFE TOO - who claims 50% of his CSi Miami earnings" Go girl!

CARUSo UNCENSORED

January 03 2007 at 5:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dawn

Me and my husband also love this show. Sure Horatio is a campy cowboy who sounds like he took acting lessons from William Shatner. But heck, Shatner's an icon. I'd rather be a bad acting icon, than a great acting nobody.

December 24 2006 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

This show is such a shame... some of the characters are good and most of the actors really try. But the writing is abismal. Give me a break - EVERY episode the suspects tell where the bodies, drugs, etc are because they got the "stare down" by a CSI - no one ever asks for a lawyer - hardly ever break the case on evidence - they need to fire the writers and hire some with some real experience!

December 06 2006 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LARRY

CSI MIAMI is an amazing show... its so much better then desperate hgousewives who are a bunch of sluts walking around trying to get laid!! ohh look at me im so hot employers didnt want to hire me! give me a break

The show has a great story, and the scenery is just amazing!! i loved RIO!! most amazing episode ever!! say what u want!! but horatio rocks!!!

December 05 2006 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I LOVE THIS SHOW...btw that explosion was real, it was on the news..you guys couldnt make a better show if you tried.

November 29 2006 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mika

This show is awlful period and so are the actors in it. For all the "H" fans who insist on writing novels to make their case-it does not work. The majority still think this show sucks!!

November 27 2006 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Has anyone noticed that David Caruso nevers sits down? Besides, the hands on hips, sunglasses as metaphors, emoting whether he has to or not, the character never sits! He stands in the hallways or out front of the building. As for the terrorist episode, how did it come down to Horatio Caine to be the only one with a rifle to take out the bomb laden truck when there were a million homeland security folks there all waiting for him to take the fateful shot. You have to laugh.

November 26 2006 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mika

I agree with most of the comments on this show. It's way out there. No story on tv is believeable but I think this show does not do the other justice at all. So, yes if you want to make fun of it and watch it to make fun of the big "H" enjoy it but as I see it most people don't and that's why the original beats it in the ratings. People still love what they can depend on-good writing and good acting. Not just the original but all shows. I don't think CSI:Miami ever made #1. David CAruso might be laughing all the way to the bank but I doubt he will ever be labeled a "good actor" or find a real show that would hire him. Actors usually want to be reconized for their talents not be laughed at. If anything he is just a shadow of himself. I seen the same performance of NYPD Blue. For all the people that love the same ole blah performances and weak storylines-go for it but don't knock the people who speak up and can't stand the big H or the stupid storylines. BTW: Season 4 really was bad-I loved season 1 & 2 Michelle, and wish they could somehow bring Speedle and Yelina back!!!

November 22 2006 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

It seems to me that people watch this show for one of two reasons: either they LOVE Caruso, or they love hating him. Either way, it translates to a "win-win" situation for CBS. I like the campiness, the melodramatic deliveries and the "pose and emote" style of acting Caruso has brought to his character. Of all the CSI shows, only this one could spawn a spin-off --- one simply called "Horatio." I look forward to this in a few more years. Like we used to anticipate Columbo's cigar stub, or his pausing at the door, we anticipate Horatio's fiddling with the shades of justice, the underlined delivery of words, and like Superman, we wait for the hands to be put on his hips, spreading his jacket wide and this is where I, at least, mentally place a big red "H" on Horatio's chest! Like the late, great Liberace who also enjoyed mixed reviews, I hope David Caruso is laughing all the way to the bank. This appeared in the Columbus Dispatch about 14 monthes ago. I wrote it:

Because David Caruso has shed the harness of scientific discipline for the "shoot-'em-up" style of the Western, CSI:Miami is my favorite show. When Lt. Horatio Caine hangs up his sunglasses and rides his Hummer into the Miami sunset for the last time, ubdoubtedly I will be shouting, "Caine, Caine! Come back!

November 22 2006 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply