July 23, 2014

Wait. Why did we 'Save the Cheerleader'?

by Anna Johns, posted Nov 21st 2006 3:34PM
heroes; cheerleaderIs anybody else as pissed off as I am after watching last night's episode of Heroes, "Homecoming"? Talk about empty promises. I've been seeing and hearing NBC promos all week that promised I would learn what "Save the Cheerleader. Save the World" meant. I actually watched the damn show live last night instead delayed on my TiVo. Did I miss something? Because, all that happened last night was that a cheerleader was saved. Great. But, how does that translate into saving the world? Other promos said "The Heroes come together to save the cheerleader, save the world!" What heroes came together? Peter was alone.

Some of my anger is directed toward the writers of Heroes. They did have the characters say "Save the Cheerleader" a hell of a lot during this episode. But, I mostly blame the NBC promo machine that totally cried wolf! They're actually doing a dis-service to Heroes by promising more than an episode delivers. Yes, we see shows over-hyped all the time, but this time we were given a specific promise and it wasn't followed through.

Jonathan

Obviously saving the cheerleader saved the world, we are still in it! Good job Peter!

December 05 2006 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JunaD

I think by saving the cheerleader they were able to catch Sylar. By catching Sylar they are saving the world.

November 28 2006 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bluekidcory

I think people are reading too much into the quote: Save the cheerleader. Save the world.
It's two sentences and therefore, two steps. Maybe the first step is to save the cheerleader and then the second step is to save the world. Who says they have to be combined into one whole thing? And if they are, maybe saving the cheerleader and capturing Sylar does save the world but of course there's still time for the world to get to that day.

November 26 2006 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody M.

Had Sylar killed her, he'd have one more power in his arsenal, one that makes him nigh indestructible. They saved the world. Stop watching like it's episodic and start watching it as a serial. The show hinges on your ability to remember more than the episode this week.

November 26 2006 at 7:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deborah

I think this article is on point. Ask the angry parents who took their kids to see Kangaroo Jack and got their money back how trailers should never completely mislead people. Shrouding a premise in mystery is one thing. Taking folks for a ride is another.

I was all hyped that we actually saved the cheerleader. I wasn't expecting the world to be saved in the same episode but I was expecting to at least know WHY saving the cheerleader would save the world. At least a broader hint. All we got was, the cheerleader being saved and see you next time.

He's right. The buildup did promise something that wasn't delivered. And where the hell is Hiro?

November 24 2006 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rikker

They did the same thing the week the little brother found out about the cheerleader's power:

"This week... their secret's OUT!"

Over and over and over every hour all week on NBC. And what happened? He saw it, threatened to put her on YouTube, she tells him "No, then Mom and Dad won't love me," and he acquiesces. Big freakin' deal. And who knows, they're probably gonna give the brother a super power too, eventually, since the count is up to approximately 497 characters with powers at this point. I'm getting tired of the deceptive hype..

November 22 2006 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

True, but it seems he just looks at what other people do, and he mimics it right on the spot.

November 21 2006 at 9:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

I think you're misunderstanding the mandate the future Hiro laid upon Peter and his friends. "Save the Cheerleader. Save the World." They're two seperate tasks, not neccessarily contingent on each other. Its fairly obvious that somehow, Claire's ability to regenerate will be a deciding factor in saving the world, but what, exactly is it that the Heroes will have to stop? The explosion that takes out New York that we saw in the beginning?

Sure they over-hyped it. I don't get excited much over the commercials, but lets see how they flesh out the storyline through the season. Now that should be something of an interesting cliffhanger, I bet.

November 21 2006 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chad

My thoughts exactly, Anna! The NBC marketing department translated "Save the cheerleader, save the world" to "milk the accidentally viral catchphrase for all it's worth, save the show."

November 21 2006 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

"Why didn't Peter use Sylar's ability against him, and can he use multiple people's ability if more than one "gifted" person is near him?"

It's one thing getting the power, it's another thing to know how to use it. So far he has had Nathan's power, which he did not wield as much control as he did. He got Isaac's power, which even Isaac says just comes to him, so it doesn't require much active control and Claire's power which requires no control and is automatic.

Sylar's power appears to be fairly complicated and probably requires skill. Something that Pete can not possibly learn in the few minutes he was in proximity to him.

November 21 2006 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply