October 30, 2014

17 Great Thanksgiving TV moments

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 22nd 2006 12:01PM

A Charlie Brown ThanksgivingAnother fun list over at The Onion, and as usual they miss the mark as often as they hit it. It's their selections for the 17 Memorable Thanksgiving Television Moments.

I love the fact that they remembered to include the Bob Newhart episode "Over The River and Through The Woods," where the gang gets drunk on Thanksgiving night and try to order Chinese food over the phone ("More moo goo!"), and the choice of A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and Bewitched are good choices. But I'll take exception to their choice of the Friends episode "The One Where Ross Got High." It's certainly a good episode, with the whole "Rachel makes a dessert" plot, but Friends was famous for its Turkey Day episodes, and "The One With All The Thanksgivings" is even better. It's the flashback episode where we see Ross and Chandler go to Ross' home for Thanksgiving and we meet fat Monica and then thin Monica a year later, when she accidentally cuts off part of Chandler's toe. That's hysterical.

And the choice of The West Wing's "Shibboleth?" It's a great episode, but another Thanksgiving ep, "The Indians In The Lobby," is not only the better Turkey Day ep, it's one of the best episodes of the series. The scene where Bartlett calls the Butterball hotline is an all-time classic.

Kinda stunned to see an episode of Amazing Stories on the list, but very happy to see it too. I don't really remember the Diff'rent Strokes/Hello Larry crossover.

Any episodes missing from this list?

Noel Murray

The list isn't a ranking. It's just a list. Believe me, I wouldn't have put HELLO LARRY on there at all if it was a ranking.

November 22 2006 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Eric: Yeah, I definitely would have had the "Ed" episode higher, and "WKRP" should be higher too.

November 22 2006 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brian

Wayne - my money is on Rhubarb.

November 22 2006 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ghp

WKRP only #17? WTF???

That, my friends, is a travesty of the first order!

It's either #1 or #2 (I can't quibble with Charlie Brown...), and to put it any lower than that is just. plain. wrong.

November 22 2006 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wayne

I always look forward to David Letterman guessing which pies his mom baked, as well as seeing what's in her fridge.

November 22 2006 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meg

Oh, totally disagree with you about the West Wing thing. Indians in the Lobby is a nice episode, and the Butterball hotline thing is hilarious, but Shibboleth is a classic. It has SO many memorable moments. It has my favorite cold open ever (Pilgrim detectives) and has the hilarious CJ/Turkey plot. On top of that, it has a few really touching moments, like when the president gives Charlie the carving knife.

November 22 2006 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Not my Thnaksgiving (I'm Canadian - ours is in October) but I think there has to be a mention of a Sprint commercial. In it a perplexed woman trying to prepare a Turkey helped by the trenchcoat wearing Sprint guy. It has the great line "You want me to stick my hand in the What? And pull out the What What?" A truly memorable commercial.

November 22 2006 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric Philbin

C'mon, the Thanksgiving at Stuckeybowl ("Ed") with the 'fine Corinthian' turkeys, a 50 pound meatloaf, and Mike's dad (Burt Reynolds) burning down their house.

November 22 2006 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply