July 29, 2014

Who is the Grave Digger on Bones?

by Richard Keller, posted Nov 22nd 2006 8:01PM

Who is the Grave Digger?No Bones again this week, folks. So, once again I'd like to dip into the speculation bowl for a bit of discussion.

In last week's episode Jack and Bones were buried alive by the Grave Digger, a serial killer who would kidnap his victims and give them enough air to survive until a ransom was collected. This time around, his victims were saved by their own intelligence and ingenuity. At the end of the episode, rather than revealing who the Grave Digger was, as they usually do with each week's murderer, it was left up in the air for, hopefully, a future episode.

So, my friends, the question I pose to you is: Who is the Grave Digger? I have three theories myself. Read on and see if I match what you think.

Thomas Vega -- Vega would probably be the most logical choice as the Grave Digger, but it would be a disappointment to many viewers because it is so logical. Vega is a Kidnap-Ransom-Negotiation expert who wrote a book on the Grave Digger. On one hand he admires his techniques, on the other he hates the killer. Yet, when Bones and Jack are buried, he really isn't much help to the investigation other than saying that the ransom, which is higher than normal, be paid. As someone who deals with Bones before her kidnapping, he's the top suspect.

Janine O'Connell -- Janine is the reporter who assisted Vega on his book about the Grave Digger. She really doesn't say much when she's on screen, which would make her a suspect as well. Think about it, she doesn't say much because, behind her journalistic mask, she's plotting on how best to kidnap Bones and Jack. Plus, as a reporter she has the resources to find out that Jack is wealthy; hence the reason why the ransom is so high. Also, as a reporter she is constantly driving back-and-forth to stories, perhaps using some sort of E-Z Pass to quickly drive through toll lanes (Jack discovered a piece of this pass in his torn pants leg).

Zach Addy -- Okay, okay, I'm way out in left field here, but here me out. Zach knew that Jack was very wealthy, and knew that Bones was also well off. He's smart and calculating and very unemotional. Sure, he couldn't determine what type of stun gun was used on Bones (and other victims) to kidnap them. However, maybe he's holding back because he's knows exactly what type of gun was used; as he was the one using it.

Well, let me know what you think.

Morgan

My bets are on Janine or Vega. I certainly hope it's not Zack! As Booth says, if you lose one of the team, the entire team goes down.

This was one of the best episodes that Bones has shown yet. It was astounding how well performed it was.

December 13 2006 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

nooo way it could be zack.
just to make my comment.
great blog

December 08 2006 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shirley Simchik

Please let Booth break up with Cam and at least give us one kiss between Booth and Bones this season. Please, please

November 30 2006 at 2:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mm

Who is the Gravedigger? I felt it was the reporter. She knew about Jack's family foundation. As a reporter she would be able to interview rich people, an easy way to taget them. It would also allow her access to closed areas, like the Jeffersonian's underground garage. Assuming it's off limits to the public. But I do not think she acts alone. Few women can operate heavy digging equipment. She would have had to dig a big hole to bury the car, or the sphere the boys were in. Plus the Gravedigger targeted Bones after she called "him" a lyer. They even say the Gravedigger learned from his mistake about how much air two people would have. How would the Gravedigger know? I doubt the FBI put that info out. I think Vega is in on it. Now the question is, will the Gravedigger come after Zack, the man who really defeated him/her/them?
But of course since people know what was on the website, they could make it the other woman (was she FBI?, district attorney?) and the former Agent.

November 28 2006 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Logicka

The Fox site no longer names the Grave Digger - I guess that means they finally told the webmaster. It also means they can feel free to make the murderer anyone they like should they choose to revisit it.

I'd like it to be left open-ended for a while - that way it doesn't have to be someone we've already come across - and they can wait to come back to it if they have a humdinger of an idea for a clever twist!

November 24 2006 at 5:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon88

They made a point of showing Janine's car drive up to the burial site, so I spent the last couple of minutes waiting for someone to notice the torn pass on the front bumper. But no. I didn't see the Fox recap, but she was my prime suspect the second time she was on the screen. (She wasn't shifty enough in her first scene.)

November 23 2006 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gaz

It's not Zack, simply because he can't drive, and I don't think that you can pull this off without being able to drive. Proof of that you'll find in episode 7 of last season "Man on death row".

November 23 2006 at 5:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rjbhiemstra

Well one thing is for sure, it's not Zach.
He's also the one that decivered the code/coordinates that Jack & Bones sent to Booth. If he was the GraveDigger why would he have done that.

November 23 2006 at 4:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

This should be interesting....

If the original version of the episode had Janine picked as the Gravedigger, but then they cut out the reveal, they could now make the Gravedigger be somebody else.

Just because it was on the website, that doesn't make it part of the show. They yanked it, they can go in any direction now.

They'll probably save the big reveal for either February or May sweeps....

November 22 2006 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will Edwards

Maybe Bone's brother Russ is the gravedigger, since "he was out of town" when they tired to contact him.

November 22 2006 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply