July 23, 2014

Day Break: What If He Lets Her Go?

by Jen Creer, posted Nov 23rd 2006 7:31AM
Daybreak(S01E03) Well, the good news is that Hopper is healing. The bad news is that his life still sucks. Last week, I had to agree with commenter Mrs. Eldubya, who said basically that the show wasn't as good as she had expected, but it was still worth tuning in for. Well, this week? The show got better.

This show hinges on the details-- and boy, do they get that right. Hopper is talking to his partner, Andrea, and she says, "How do you know I won't just take this into them?" (The Internal Affairs people who have offered her a deal if she brings in Hopper-- this being the hourglass that was in the package). The scene briefly shifts to her taking a bullet in a previous incarnation of the day in which she took a bullet for him so he could get away.

Brilliant-- we now know that one of the things Hopper learns during these days is whom to trust. He shrugs and just says, "Just a hunch," but we know immediately in a very visceral way that his hunch is accurate.

We have learned lots of little things in this episode: He now has the identity of the woman who keeps getting hit by the bus, so now all he has to do is call her cell phone to keep her from harm's way, which was a hilarious little detail. But she works for a judge-- don't tell me that won't become somehow important at some point. I love also how the writer and director showed how Hopper remembered her cell phone number-- he took out his little notepad and touched his finger to the page. He could see his notes in his memory, and recalled the number to call her. These are the kinds of details I am talking about.

Another little, but important, detail is that Hopper realizes his cell phone battery is dying, so the next day, he changes the battery first thing in the morning. Hopper shows these little details by hesitating ever so slightly, which jars our memory to his cell phone dying while he checks his phone messages.

He has a new person to save now-- the woman from Garza's office, who gets shot by Damien's people at Baxter's house. I am still trying to figure out the whole Damien thing. Here is what I have-- please chime in if you got something different: Damien is a Latino underlord with whom Hopper is working for information. He and Baxter, a lawyer, put Damien in a safehouse. Baxter betrays Damien to someone, and Damien is pissed. The someone that Baxter betrayed him to is the Garza Goons. So, there is clearly a connection now between the investigation Damien was conducting behind Andrea's back and Garza's murder, which Hopper is being framed for.

I still can't figure out Chad Shelton. He was on the phone with the Garza Goons at the end of last week-- who are these guys? But he keeps Rita safe two days in a row. That counts for something, right? He is obviously no friend of Hopper, but tonight, he didn't seem to be such a cut-and-dry criminal. Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't trust the guy. But I just thought his behavior was interesting. Obviously, he has an agenda, but maybe the reason Hopper told Rita to talk to Chad if he called is that even Hopper has figured out that he and Chad have at least one thing in common: Keeping Rita safe.

Did anybody get a better look at the body of the guy Andrea called Hopper about than I did? I am excited about this show, especially because there are so many things in play. We could make a drinking game out of all of the details Hopper has to keep straight every day: Antiseptic? Check. Hide the bloody rags? Check. Cell phone battery? Check. Save the woman from the bus? Yeah. Does he still need to get the package now that we know what it is? Another detail. Save the woman at Baxter's house? Check. Call Damien? Check.

It's off to a great start so far, eh?

John Abbe

ROB, it's Robbie Robertson, "Unbound"

(Google is your friend, i just plugged in the lyrics: "i am lost" "has anybody seen me" "nothing is forgotten")

Myself, i had to find the song from the middle of the pilot - David Gray, "Meet Me On The Other Side"

December 05 2006 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ROB

PLEASE TELL ME SOMEONE KNOWS THE SONG AND ARTIST PLAYING TOWARDS THE END OF THE LAST EPISODE WHEN HOPPER GETS OUT OF THE TRUNK OF THE CAR AND IS THEN SHOWN WALKING DOWN THE STREET...

November 27 2006 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amy

I think this show is really great. The only thing that really bothers me is Hopper's dog. It's a minute detail, but some days he doesn't even think about how his dog is doing.

November 27 2006 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BigT

@Jen - The guys that you are referring to as the Garza goons... by that do you meant the guys that killed Garza?

I have to agree with you that the show seems worth watching now that we get the idea. The concept of dropping clues and acting on new information each "day" is great. It's rare to see anything creative on TV these days.

As for Chad, I don't think he has any clue who these guys really are, or what their agenda is. I think that at some point, we'll learn that he thinks they are friends of his, or informants. In the end, I think we may find that while he ain't a nice guy, that once he finds out that Hopper didn't kill Garza, he might step up to help.

I'm curious what the ultimate explanation will be for why the day keeps repeating, and also curious about what is really going on. Damien's comment about Hopper not really knowing what is going on is menat to foreshadow a much bigger thing. The question is what.

As for the suggestion above that Hopper borrow the tatoo scheme from Prison Break, maybe he starts simpler, by just writing on his palm in ink to see if it sticks.

They've done enough to make me add this to my already long list of shows to watch.

November 26 2006 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AlanVD

Great episode. Hopper's not going to be able to remember all the crucial details he's going to get without being able to write them down. So why not take a leaf out of Memento's (and Prison Break's) book and get tattoos? We already know that he takes his body with him as is to the next day, it could prove very useful. Of course, he'll need to make sure that he keeps avoiding Rita seeing him nekkid, but I think it might just be worth it. Thoughts? :)

November 24 2006 at 7:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Murphy

Good episode.

On a whole totally different note:

Please bring back the full summaries for RSS readers. Is that deliberate so we would have to actually visit the page? I am now getting the "Continue reading so and so.." message.

November 24 2006 at 3:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Dorr

Yeah, I'm happy with it, too. They're being smart about mixing things up from each day to day. It's not just the same thing over and over again with minor variations. That was my one concern that later on down the road we'd be getting bored with the dropped dish and traffic report junk over and over again. So, it's nice that even though we're stuck in the same day, the story seems to be progressing as though we weren't.

November 23 2006 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

I like this show. It is a little slow for my tastes but I like the concept and the characters overall.

I found myself thinking that I would probably do exactly what Hopper is doing . . . stabilizing each incident (like the woman at the coffee shop whose car gets hit by a Santa Monica bus) and then also trying to solve the case.

Looking forward to next week.

Oh and Moon Bloodgood is delicious. Would you marry me?

November 23 2006 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

I show has a bright future in my opinion. Before the show even aired, I've read some reviews putting it down and others giving it a chance. I took a chance and decided to give the show a go and I'm glad I did. I'll definitely continue to watch.

November 23 2006 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply