September 30, 2014

Medium: Be kind, Rewind

by Brett Love, posted Nov 23rd 2006 8:00AM
Patricia Arquette - Medium(S03E03) This was an interesting episode. When Allison 'woke up' from the first dream, I wasn't sure about the whole groundhog day idea. It's something we've seen before, my favorite version being "Run Cleo Run" from Cleopatra 2525, but it holds the potential to get boring. As the mystery unfolded though, this version of the story turned out to be pretty good. The changes between the different versions of the day were big enough that things didn't feel repetitious.

Unfortunately, I was spoiled on the aftermath of the car crash from the first dream. Glenn Gordon Caron mentioned it in his live blog for the premiere last week. I'm sure it was much better for those that didn't know it was coming, but even knowing, that was a nice bit of effects work with the amputation. The car crash that led to it was good too, but points out two things I had issues with in the episode.

First, the body in the trunk. I think we're safe in assuming that the real judge was the body. I guess we can go with the idea that he was just kidnapped, and not murdered, but either way that fact calls into question the ending. Everyone is willing to believe Allison that the restaurant hostage situation is going to happen. So, why not go a step further and nab the bad guy before he kidnaps/carjacks/murders a federal judge? It really wouldn't have changed anything with the episode. Just instead of that showdown in the restaurant we would have seen the judge surrounded by a room full of cops preventing the kidnapping.

Also, what is with the crappy driving shots? Whenever a car starts to move I'm jerked out of the story as I can't stop noticing just how fake the shot is. This is a successful show on a major network. They really should be able to rig up a car and get real driving footage. Given that all the driving was taking place in a dream, I could have excused it as dreamy weirdness, like the motorcycle from last week, but the rest of the dream world was perfectly normal, so it has to be marked as bad production.

Gripes aside, I liked the mystery and how it tied Devalos' case into the dream. It made for some good scenes with Scanlon and Allison as well. My favorite exchange was when Scanlon asked, "And you know this because..." to which Allison answered, "...because of the wonderful things she does." If any show should be making Wizard of Oz references, it's Medium.

Good stuff from the DuBois family this week too. I liked the evolving story of Ariel and the bully. The highlight of that was when Allison finally just lost it and went on her badass rant. A great performance for Arquette, but the reactions of all the kids and Joe were spot on as well. I liked how it all tied up on the actual day, with Ariel staying home and Allison handing the carpet cleaners off to Marie. And wasn't it nice to see things work out for Joe on Saturday? That was a cute scene between the two of them.

Overall, a couple issues, but a nice story. I'd call it a solid episode three for Medium. They're off to a good start. Finally, a bonus note for the Firefly fans out there. Next week Mark Sheppard (Badger) returns to Medium. It's been a good month for the Firefly cast and guest spots.

Bob Q

Yeah, it was a good episode, but...why did they stop the gunman at the restaurant instead of trying to prevent the gunman from killing the judge earlier?

November 26 2006 at 5:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zoe

medium is a great show. funny, random observation about the set design in this episode, though:

did anybody else notice that the hostage situation, which was taking place on the show at a restaurant they called "florenzo ristorante", was actually shot at a "fleming's prime steakhouse and wine bar"?

so funny, too, because they used the real fleming's logo (that capital "F", in the box), but put the name "Florenzo" on it instead of fleming's. their producers weren't paying too much attention to their set dressing, though:

"florenzo ristorante" is obviously supposed to sound like an italian restaurant, but they left the "prime steakhouse and wine bar" awnings up, in full camera view! and it's not like there aren't 40 fleming's around the country for people to recognize it (duh). good product placement for fleming's, anyway.

and it's always fun to find those little glitches in films and shows. though it has left me craving a fleming's steak... so at least we know where we're going for dinner tonight:

the REAL florenzo ristorante (a.k.a fleming's prime steakhouse and wine bar)

for a nice filet, cooked MEDIUM ;)

November 25 2006 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annie

You will get no gripes from me. This is my favourite show on tv bar none. I love it. I really thought she had been in a crash. Good all round.

November 24 2006 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

Another great Medium. I nearly crapped my pants when the auto accident happened - and I was even expecting it because of the promos.

The scene through Allison's eyes in the hospital was exceptional. Jake Weber was great as was the eldest daughter who thought the accident was her fault. I really believed that she was crying. She and the next younger daughter are dynamite little actresses.

November 23 2006 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I don't normally watch Medium but I caught it last night. It was pretty interesting, but geez with all the Groundhog's Day-ness going around I think I'm getting a bit tired of it. Daybreak on tv, Deja Vu going to be (or already in..) the theaters.. and now this (yes it's only 1 ep but still).. 2006 is the year to repeat I guess.

November 23 2006 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kerry

They almost always use the crappy blue screen for car shots, especially in dreams. I think it's hokey and funny, and I'm 90% sure they do it on purpose to be distinctive and kind of "nudge nudge, wink wink" about telling the audience what reality they're in when they watch the show.

November 23 2006 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply