July 28, 2014

Sci Fi looks to reimagine Wizard of Oz

by Brett Love, posted Nov 23rd 2006 9:01AM
Wizard of OzThe Sci Fi channel has brought in two writers from 24, Steven Long Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle, to reimagine The Wizard Of Oz as a mini-series called Tin Man. I suppose saying you hired writers from 24 sounds better than saying you hired writers/producers from She Spies...

I kid. I saw every episode of She Spies. Anyway, the post at Warp Section has some of the details for what they have in mind. Dorothy has become a "goth hottie named DG" while Oz is now the Outer Zone, an ethnically diverse alternate universe setting for DG's adventure.

The post also mentions that it will be a six-hour story, but Sci Fi Wire says it will be four. I guess we'll have to wait and see on that. This could really go either way. It's tough to mess with a classic, but I think Sci Fi has earned the benefit of the doubt with what they have done with Battlestar Galactica. Plans call for a 2007 release.

[ via Netscape.com ]

Tucker

Thanks, Kurifurisan, the only reason I was even aware of McGee's Oz project was because I loved his work on Alice... After I posted I did some reasearch, and he did, in fact, pen a screenplay in addition to a new game project - I wonder if that will all go down in light of this Sci-Fi thing.

November 23 2006 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kurifurisan

Actually Keith, McGee is working on both a game and film version of Oz. The film version is supposed to be produced by Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer. He's also working on a version of Grimm Bros. fairy tales called Grimm.

November 23 2006 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

Tucker -- I think you're thinking of American McGee's Alice.

November 23 2006 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

I thought there was already a re-imagining of Oz in the works... Didn't I hear that American McGee's Oz was greenlighted or something?

November 23 2006 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Wow this sounds bad, almost as bad as the squel to Wizard of Oz that some company is making.

But some of the books are rather grown up from what I have heard with whores and drugs and fun like that.

November 23 2006 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RSL

Outer Zone? O. Z. Oooh, clever, clever. I'll have to file this one with all the other dreck that SciFi peddles which I'll never [hopefully] have to see. Sorry, goth Dorothy.

November 23 2006 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

I'd say 'Battlestar Galactica' was a fluke. The true measure comes in looking at their past attempts to dramatize other sf/fantasy works of literature....

"Riverworld"?
"The Wizard Of Earthsea"?

I don't have high hopes for this project, but I'll at least check it out when it airs.....

November 23 2006 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply