October 1, 2014

Screw the hiatus, bring back Lost now

by Brett Love, posted Nov 24th 2006 4:30PM
lostThere has been much chatter about ABC's somewhat unconventional scheduling of Lost this season. In an effort to avoid a repeat filled schedule, they have split the season into two parts, handing off the time slot to Day Break for three months in the middle. While they will tell you it was because of outcry from the fans, the cynic in me thinks that the fact that Lost doesn't repeat well had something to do with it.

Either way, it's not working. Rather, it's really not working. Day Break premiered with a somewhat disappointing 11 million viewers, despite having the Dancing with the Stars finale drop 27 million sets of eyeballs on their doorstep. But 11 million sounds just grand compared to this week. With the dancing shoes stowed away for the foreseeable future, Captain Kirk's Show Me The Money is delivering just under 8 million viewers as the lead in. And Wednesday, Day Break only managed to hang on to 5.12 million of them. 5 million? The worst repeat of Lost would never approach 5 million viewers.

None of this is doing The Nine any favors either. The show was struggling following Lost, but following Day Break it is positively floundering. Wednesday saw the numbers dip to 4.1 million. For a little perspective, I don't have the viewer numbers from last season, but the household numbers offer some clues. Day before Thanksgiving 2005 Lost was a 10.8, with Invasion following with a 6. This year, Day Break garnered a 3.4, followed by The Nine with a 2.9. Yikes.

So play junior network programmer cat with me here for a moment. What would you do with the mess that is ABC Wednesday? Do you hold the course and just let Day Break play out while getting your ass handed to you by Mandy week after week? Because really, when your viewer numbers are being tripled by someone, your ass has been handed. Keeping in mind that the Idol colossus looms after the new year. Or, do you cut bait and get what you can out of Lost right now while shuffling Day Break off to somewhere else on the schedule? And hopefully salvaging something for The Nine's season.

It's a tricky bit of business, but my vote would be a return to the repeat fueled schedule of Lost.

bob

Here's what they should do. Reair the first 6 episodes in the third season of Lost at 9 o clock for the 6 weeks before it comes back on-- that way veiwers can be refreshed. Move Daybread to 10 o' clock for those 6 weeks, and put the Nine on hiatus for those 6 weeks, and let it put on new episodes once Lost comes back.

November 25 2006 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol Boutin

I really was MAD about Lost going away for 13 weeks. I haven't watched Daybreak because #1)The powers that be think they know what people want; #2)I hated the movie "Groundhog Day" the premise of doing the day over and over; and #3) I watched Lost no matter what. Bring Lost back and the heck with Daybreak.

November 25 2006 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sight_unseen

Yes! You guys are right!

Lost, or any other show, going on hiatus in the middle of a season is a fantastic idea!

I simply love the fact that it's impossible to get through most any season of any major TV show without lots of repeats or this innovative 'hiatus' strategy.

Brilliant !!

November 25 2006 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tv junkie

Day Break is perfectly fine with me. they should dump that idiotic game show that shouldn't have been produced to begin with. "show me the money" dropped more viewers than day break anyway.

November 25 2006 at 7:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

Why not just call it a new season, it would be far less confusing for dim people that way.

Think yourselves lucky, in the UK (on BBC or ITV at least) a season is generally considered to be between 6 & 10 episodes then have to wait anywhere between 1-2 years for the next series (or 4 years in the case of Red Dwarf's last series & that was not worth the wait)

November 25 2006 at 5:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Ok, first of all, I'm really glad we'll get a straight set of Lost after the break. I have no problem with that. But did I just read that right? Daybreak doesn't even TOUCH Invasion? Now I want to get some ABC programming execs alone in a room even more. That's ridiculous! Invasion was an excellent show all the way around, and the network never even gave it a fair chance.

On the other hand, you get Groundhog Day with the guy from Rent and it's an "appropriate" filler for the huge Lost hiatus somehow? These people need to get their heads re-screwed on.

November 24 2006 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maurice Tift

I enjoy Day Break too, so I'm surprised that the numbers are not higher. Maybe they should re-air the 1st episode on a weekend like they did with the LOST pilot episode. It is my kind of show and I recognized Skinner and Rohrer from the X-Files.

November 24 2006 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

The long hiatus for Lost has MISTAKE written all over it. Did ABC learn nothing from Commander in Chief?

It's not as if Lost were that interesting this year anyway. Lots of my friends were losing interest. Couple that with being off the air for months, and I don't think people will return. If they don't put lost back on the air in a few weeks, I'm not certain I'll be interested by next February

November 24 2006 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

I had a similar formula for this break a while back. I'd change it slightly, though, and include all shows on a given network. Run an entire season of Lost, House, whatever. After that season is over, stop airing the show and put something new on. When the new show's season is over, bring back Lost. Repeat year round. This way network TV *never* has repeats. We work 51 weeks a year, why can't the actors? The daytime Soaps don't repeat on their origional network, do they? Why can't primetime be the same?

Repeats can be aired on one of the many cable networks owned by the parent companies.

November 24 2006 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

They had damn well better let Day Break run its course. I don't understand why nobody is watching this, it's fantastic. What, people can't watch a show with a black protagonist or something?

November 24 2006 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply