July 29, 2014

Thank You for Smoking to become NBC series

by Julia Ward, posted Nov 24th 2006 6:04PM
Thank You for SmokingFormer West Wing and Six Feet Under producer Rick Cleveland is on board to translate Christopher Buckley's best-selling book and recent film Thank You for Smoking into a single-camera television series for NBC.

The television show will pick up where the film left off - with spin doctor Nick Naylor opening his own firm. It's a great idea for a series in that Naylor can have a never-ending array of clients. Nick will, of course, always be on the politically incorrect side of whatever big business or political issue is thrown his way. The producers have discussed Naylor repping fast food companies, environmental polluters and politicos in Mark Foley-esque situations.

We'll, of course, have to see Nick balancing his job with his life as a dad. I think that's a requirement on American television - giving otherwise unsympathetic characters the softer side of Sears. How else are we going to identify with Nick's nefarious spin doctor ways?

We won't hear about casting on this show for awhile, but casting Nick is going to require a James Wood for Shark or Hugh Laurie for House kind of coup to make the premise work. I doubt Aaron Eckhart, the film's Nick, would give up a successful film career for television. Too bad Michael C. Hall is tied up with Dexter. Oh well, I'm sure those crazy Hollywood kids will come up with something.

stoykish

The film was fantastic in my opinion. Partly because it was clever for the director to develop a character with whom the audience should be connected with, on the "wrong" side of tobacco. The script was clever and witty and for those reasons this show has tremendous potential.
here is my take on it
(see)

November 26 2006 at 2:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

How about Peter Krause as Nick? He can definitely handle the dialogue, as seen in Sports Night.

November 25 2006 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tv junkie

I really can't see this as a TV series for NBC because I don't think a network television is willing to be that politically incorrect. Maybe the series would be better for cable television.

November 25 2006 at 7:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Geoffrey

The movie was pretty amusing.....this is desparation for NBC...seemly that the show, Friday Night Lights doing well....plus CBS and ABC killing them in the ratings.

November 25 2006 at 3:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'd watch both movie and series with pleasure.

November 25 2006 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Björninn

Eckhart was good, but as far as the small screen goes, I doubt that anyone can measure up to Stephen Fry's deliciously amoral PR guru in BBC's Absolute Power. Still, as long as they're not trying to americanize those series, I say best of luck to them.

November 24 2006 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

I wonder who will they will get to replace the OSCAR -WORTHY and should be nominated Aaron Eckart

November 24 2006 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

this was a great book and a great movie. i think the show could end up being pretty funny.

November 24 2006 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

Oh good, another NBC show that'll be too smart to find an audience.

November 24 2006 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dwacon_com

I don't quite get the premise... but reminds me of the funny film in the 60's with Bob Newhart and Dick Van Dyke. That being said... since I didn't see THIS film, the series doesn't sound very interesting.

Now, Farenheit 9/11 the series... featuring Stephen Colbert... now you're onto something.

dwacon