October 26, 2014

ABC pulling The Nine?

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 25th 2006 8:16AM

The NineThis doesn't look good.

ABCNews.com has posted a description of a special episode of 20/20 that's "Coming Up" this Wednesday, November 29 at 10pm. That's when the new drama The Nine usually airs, and I've checked three TV schedules online and they all say that The Nine is supposed to air as usual. And the episode last week had coming attractions of the November 29th episode, with no mention that it was going to be pre-empted for a week. There's been no official press release from ABC about it, and even the schedule at the network's site still lists The Nine as airing on that night, but the description of the 20/20 episode is on there too, so maybe they just haven't changed the grid yet.

This is not a good sign at all. Sometimes the networks pull low rated shows during sweeps, but this November sweeps period is about to end. Maybe ABC wasn't happy with last week's ratings of the show and have decided to shift gears and take it off the air for now? Or for good? I have a feeling this might be one of the "let's put the remaining episodes on the web" kind of deals, like Kidnapped. Or maybe this is a temporary thing and the show will be back in December.

(Thanks to Tom for the tip)

Nancy Bell

Wow, a show that makes you imagine the emotions of being held hostage, seeing someone shot, dying, not knowing your fate. No car chases, blood and guts, and then actually challenging your mind instead of handing it to you like a comic book. Not dummied down! Amazing. No wonder it is on hiatus. Too much for the "idiot box" watchers who are not beyond 1st grade
thinkers.

December 14 2006 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Krystal Norat

Ok, I just posted my comments on ABC.com...I just watched the November 22nd episode which I had missed and OMG...it was so good! That is a great show...I hope they move it around or something...just give it another shot....

December 06 2006 at 8:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Krystal Norat

Does anyone know of a website where you can post your comments so they get back to ABC. This is the second show that they have pulled that I really loved and I know I don't make up the viewing public but I always felt like I had a good eye for a good quality show.

December 06 2006 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Krystal Norat

I really liked the show was really getting invested in some of the characters....I will be really upset if they pull it!!

December 06 2006 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deb

This just drives me crazy! You get invested in a storyline and the characters, then - BAM! - gone. I actually really enjoyed this show, and was curious to see where they'd go with it. I couldn't imagine they could sustain the "bank connection" thing past a season or two, but to just yank it unceremoniously is just so infuriating!! Just one more reason to avoid network series.

December 04 2006 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

i hope they make it official soon. haven't watched last week's episode yet, so it'd be nice to remove it from my dvr

November 27 2006 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy Salim

People, are you wondering if The Nine has been cancelled or not, here is the link:

November 26 2006 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

ABC frankly doesn't have a good track record in bringing their struggling shows back from hiatus. I predict they will either stream the remaining episodes on their website and/or put the episodes for sale on iTunes. They started doing this last season with The Night Stalker. And CBS has now done this with Smith, and even put up synopses for the remaining episodes that were never produced.

Look at it this way: At least through the broadband Internet now, the networks can give loyal viewers of failed series at least some sense of closure.

November 25 2006 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Adams

It's definite...Zap2It is reporting that ABC has just put the show on "hiatus," and we know what that means. The link is below, if this forum allows that sort of thing.

November 25 2006 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

MacGuffin, Don't forget the cable channels. Shows like The Shield, Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck, The Closer and others on cable air their seasons non-stop too.

Hopefully this is a trend and the broadcast networks will wake up and smell the coffee.

November 25 2006 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply