September 3, 2014

Boston Legal: Lincoln

by Richard Keller, posted Nov 26th 2006 11:58PM

Boston Legal episode.(S03E08) No, it's not Tuesday night. For some reason ABC preempted Brothers & Sisters to air the first of this two-part episode of Boston Legal. My guess for the preemption: sweeps. Though, when you come to think about it, this is the correct place to air a 'special episode' of BL. This is where the show started (in the old The Practice time slot) before it was booted to Tuesday nights by some small show named Blue's Anatomy, or Grey's Body Parts, or something like that. I wonder if that show went anywhere?

Anywhoswhatsit, in this episode we see the return of Lincoln Meyer, a fight between Jeffrey Coho and Brad Chase and the results of Denny Crane's paternity test. Oh, and we also have another appearance of a character that's beginning to get a bit tiresome. So, if the jury will be seated, we can begin the proceedings.

Jerry Espenson is back. Again. Look, it was interesting to see him one or twice this season. But, he's been on the show four times, twice in the last two episodes I believe. His little hops and squeaks are getting a bit tiresome. Luckily, many of those traits are being held back this time around as Jerry and Alan Shore handle the 1st-degree murder case of a woman who is being medically treated for hearing voices.

The woman in this case is played by Laura Leighton. You may remember her as Sydney Andrews from Melrose Place. At first, she seems very clam, very nice, but unsure that she may have been the murderer or not since there are several minutes she cannot account for. However, by the end of the episode she is shown as downright creepy and prone to fits of anger. We'll have to see how this turns out later in the week.

Speaking about creepy, Lincoln Myer returns. Here is a man who wants nothing more but to be in the spotlight, no matter how he gets it. Back at the Scott Little trial he touted his role as a prime witness. Now, with him murdering a judge last episode, he is now a prime suspect. He even gets dressed up in a tuxedo for a line-up. Denny and Claire Simms (Constance Zimmer, who is now mentioned in the opening credits) actually defend him. However, when no one can identify him as the murderer they toss him aside as a attention-grabbing psycho (well, at least Denny does). Towards the end of the episode he does two things that are pretty shocking. Since I don't want to spoil it for anyone I'll wait to mention what they are until Tuesday's review (commenters, please try not to spoil the surprise).

Over to Denny and his paternity test. He's not the father of Bethany. Thank God for that, because after the incestuous incident between Scott Little and his mother I couldn't handle another relationship that was similar. Denny is showing some sort of maturity here as he is denying the advances of Bethany's mom (Delta Burke), whom he was previously engaged to, in order to continue to date the, um, little woman. In one of the funniest scenes of the night, Denny pours his heart out to Bethany. It turns out he's reading cue cards being held up by Alan.

Finally, the fight between Brad and Jeffrey. Bunch of pansies! My dead grandmother could take both of them.

Okay, we'll take a short recess and come back to resume this trial on Tuesday.

peggy

I like Jerry but they should use him less often. BL is one of the best shows qand I hope it has along life span

December 03 2006 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miryam

I have to say that Jerry is actually one of my favorites!! I was thrilled to see his character get some depth this week.

The best part of BL for me is that it is completely silly but also examines issues that are meaningful but often overlooked. Jerry is an exploration of "humanness" to me.

People with cognitive and behavioral differences often escape the mainstream radar. The friendship between Alan and Jerry demonstrates how we can make room for differences and how people who are "not the norm" have much to offer.

And by exploring ways to support Jerry's differences, we get to learn about ourselves and the things we take for granted.

I hope Jerry stays around for a long time. I'm rooting for him and I appreciate the mistakes he makes because they speak to all of us.

But (FINALLY) on to the silliness.. I hope that Denny has passed a test set up by Bethany to see if he's really over her mom.

And the cue cards are still making me laugh!!

November 28 2006 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

I loved the cue cards thing too. That was pure Boston Legal and what makes the show so fun.

November 27 2006 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Erst

Toby -

In re:Jerry's death - from your lips to God's ears...

Jerry keeps coming back because the actor playing him and James Spader are childhood friends. He was quite good in Flight 93, but the Jerry character needs to die (or be sent to prison for a season). If he doesn't, he'll eventually have so many tics and mannerisms that he'll just flop about on the floor for most of an episode.

I've hated the fact that this season, James Spader has basically been shunted to the side (to make room for Craig Bierko). The only time you see him is when Jerry shows up or as cameos in his own show. The Denny/Bethany story has been OK, but the Denny/Alan dynamic is the heart of the show, and it's pretty much been limited to the last 5 minutes of each show.

November 27 2006 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

C'mon, Matthew, we asked not to spoil things. You could have written that up without actually saying what happened. So I have to think it was intentional.

Anyway....

I think the promo announcement about the shocking last five minutes are skewed to make us think it has something to do with Lincoln. But, I'm thinking it will be in connection with Laura Leighton's character.

This is just a guess not a spoiler, but what if she ends up listening to her voices? And while trying to kill Alan for a perceived betrayal, she might kill Jerry instead.

That could be one reason as to why he was brought back - to give the show an "important" death but not too far up into the pecking order of the cast list.

Again, that's just a guess....

November 27 2006 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Porchland

Jerry Espenson: Extremely sick of him in 4... 3... 2...

Delta Burke: the tackle bit worked both times (just two?) but it doesn't have the reaction looks to be as funny as the Bethany-in-the-room bits (which I'm perfectly content to see once per episode for the rest of the show's run).

Creepy Lincoln Meyer: I hope he gets nominated for any Emmy and a Globe for guest actor because he's the freshest face on TV this season. Great voice, great smirks, great lines. I'd love to see him get a TV pilot as this character, but I don't see any way for the producers to finish his arc without killing him or putting him in prison.

I loved the lawyer/ex-girlfriend with the "sense of humor."

Jeffrey Coho and Brad Chase have a story coming up together in a couple of episodes, so that should be interesting.

November 27 2006 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matthew m. barnes

first... i think that Jerry is funny. sure, they could space him out a bit more, but "i want to punch David E. Kelly in the face?" really? perhaps you have some rage issues to work through.

also, as with everything on this show, the last scene was not meant to be overly dramatic. it's supposed to be dramedy. Lincoln Meyer has Shirley Schmidt kidnapped and tied up. it's creepy i guess... but mostly, it's funny!

highlights... the cue cards with Alan and Denny (hilarious), "i came to say goodbye.... goodbye", Delta Burke flying through the air to tackle Denny, and "Denny Crane... back in the saddle."

November 27 2006 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

I want to add that ABC was trying to manipulate ME into watching this show. And yes, I take it personally. I really hate it when the network does the bait and switch thing to get people interested in shows that they may not regularly watch.

And it really pisses me off that it worked!!

November 27 2006 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

Delta Burke looks HORRIBLE, like a plastic-faced hippo. The entire top part of her head, from her upper lip upwards never moves. She's a frigging freak show.

Also, I am so sick of the Jerry character I want to punch David E. Kelley in the face just for thinking that constantly trying to one-up the tics and quirks is funny. I actually and literally want to punch the man in the face over this.

I might be taking it too seriously, but still: hate Jerry. Hate as in "Get this stupid character off my TV."

As for the last shot of the show? Hey, guess which TV show production team cannot in any way direct for dramatic effect? Oh my GOD that was awful. It was comical, which is what all the direction on BL is good for: dramedy. When they try to get serious it's laughable at best.

November 27 2006 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Forrest

Denny Crane...back in the saddle! :)

It's been a few weeks since we've had a DC line that will stick with you for a while. This could also turn into a line that shows up again later.

I found it odd that they pulled "the Bethany surprise" in the preview commercial but in the episode Denny jokes about having to look around for her before saying anything. First time in a while that they haven't dropped in that humor on us.

I agree that Jerry's character has become tiresome with the trouble he keeps getting himself into. However, this time I was glad to seee that he hadn't done anything and was actually representing a client. He did a good job in the courtroom to control his mannerisms.

I was shocked that what I thought was the ending wasn't really the ending...and it kinda weirded me out. I can't wait for Tuesday!!! :)

November 27 2006 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply