April 19, 2014

The Fugitive coming to DVD

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 26th 2006 2:00PM

The FugitiveNo, not the lame Harrison Ford movie that everyone seems to like for some reason. I'm talking about the original, 60s series starring David Janssen. Looks like the show is coming to DVD sometime in 2007 (no exact date yet). It will be The Fugitive - Season 1, Volume 1. Yeah, one of those deals where they break up the seasons, probably to make more cash. The first season had 30 episodes (wow, can you imagine a show doing that today?).

Stephen King has always listed this as one of the best shows ever on TV, and it's quite good.

The reason I didn't like the movie is that, well, Ford is no David Janssen, and two, this was a story (doctor's wife is killed by a one-armed man and the doctor is accused of it and has to go on the run) that worked much better spread over several seasons than it does in a two hour movie. You don't get the tension and sadness in the movie, because it's all so quick and you know he'll catch him in the end. You didn't know what was going to happen in the series (each episode he went to different towns looking for the killer and got involved in other's lives, a la Highway To Heaven or Nowhere Man), and the last episode, where he finally catches up the one-armed man (I don't think I'm spoiling anything here), was unique and exciting, and one of the most-watched TV episodes ever. It was remade with Tim Daly a few years ago but was canceled quickly. Daly has no luck, does he?

maurizio masai

I am interested to buy in DVD che complete series of "The Fugitive" (1963-67)(120 episodes, starring D. Janssen) or for the moment only the season one, in italian language or with subtitles in italian. It is possible? If it is not possible I want buy equally the complete series in english.
Thank you for the attention.
Address: Maurizio Masai, Universita' di Udine, via Petracco, 8, 33100 Udine (Italy)

February 06 2007 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maurizio masai

Thank you for the attention.

February 06 2007 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Vale

I was 13 - 14 years old when this was first shown on TV in the UK and never missed an episode. Can't wait for the DVD release !!

January 10 2007 at 8:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Glenn Hodge

I also watched this program in the 60's (as a child/teenager)and loved it. I found it intense/dramatic/sad and once concluded very satisfying. I look forward to the DVD release.

January 06 2007 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter Castronovo

The Fugitive show has always been my favorite shows.
Back in 1967 I used a super 8 camara to film the 2 part show at a cost of $250.00 Back then that was lot,
and STILL IS. Can't wait for the DVD to come out, my
VHS tapes are not as good. I have a web site and DO NOT
SELL ANYTHING, But if you would like to see Video clips
and Audio cuts checkout my site.
BY the way Super 8 film did not have so I had to sync
the picture with audio reel to reel Sony Tape recorder
it played very good. Ah to bad film got damaged and tape went bad. anyway see my site I think you may like
it. http://www.cncproductions.com/Fugitive/index.html
Thank you for your attention. Pete (PNC78)

December 03 2006 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

I watched this series on A&E about 15 years ago and was hooked. A&E aired the finale, so I am not sure why other networks would not, especially since it was a definitive conclusion to the entire series, not to mention, the most watched show ever until the Who Shot JR phenomena.

November 27 2006 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

I love the Quinn Martin style, with the prologue voice-over and the 4 acts.

This was a wonderful series and it would be cool if Hollywood would do a series like this--not a retred--but something totally original.

November 26 2006 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Whoosh

David Janssen used to give me nightmares when I was a kid. I think it was the ears.

November 26 2006 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jackie

This is great news! I was an odd young child back in the show's heyday in the '60s. It was my favorite show and the only one I was allowed to stay up late watching. When I was 9 or 10 years old, I ran away from home thinking I would lead the life of 'The Fugitive.' (Of course, I only lasted a few hours before my Mom caught me in the basement eavesdropping.)

November 26 2006 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

I caught the last episode of The Fugitive once, in early 90's the CBS station in Detroit showed it in prime time one weekend. It was great and one of the best finales I've seen.

TV stations that reran The Fugitive never showed the last episode from what I remember. And seeing the finale in COLOR was cool since most episodes were in Black and White.

November 26 2006 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply