December 21, 2014

Dexter: Father Knows Best

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Nov 27th 2006 10:42AM

Dexter(S01E09) At this point I'm pretty convinced that it's impossible for this show to have a bad episode. In my opinion, this was probably the slowest episode of the season and it was still outstanding. I say "slow" because well... it was. It took the whole hour to reveal just a few tiny things that easily could have been cleared up in minutes. Not that these things weren't important. They are. It just felt a little drawn out to me.

The entire story of Dexter and his actual biological father really isn't all that essential if you think about it. The only purpose it served was to bring everyone together. This wasn't exactly your typical family get-together though.

So despite what Harry told Dex as a boy, his father was alive (until recently). He didn't die in some tragic accident as Dexter had been led to believe. His name was Joe Driscoll, he loved bowling, and he probably spent some time in prison. Sounds like a great guy... sort of. So now at this point, knowing what we know about Rudy, raise your hand if you suspected him as the man who killed Joe. Especially after Dexter heard the coroner's lousy reasoning. Especially after Joe's neighbor said a "cable guy" resembling Rudy stopped by the other day. Could it have been made more obvious? Then to top it off, the connection many have assumed about Dexter and Rudy was thrown right at us. They're probably brothers. Right after Dexter said something along the lines of "there's nothing that connects me to Joe," it cut to a shot of Rudy making that eerie smirk. He's freaky.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds like I'm bashing here. I'm not. I'm just horribly passionate about this show right now and I feel like there had to have been a better way to reveal what I think most folks had a hunch on anyway.

For the most part, I think I enjoyed the other stories in this episode more than Dexter's problems. The background on Doakes, his military involvement with tracking Haitian death squads, and Angel's honesty made for a great little sub-plot that resolved itself by the end of the episode. I really like those two. I was surprised there was no follow up on LaGuerta and Neil Perry though.

Paul got me thinking in this episode too. I'm starting to think that neither Rita nor Deb will find out what Dexter does. What if Paul somehow does? He could track Dexter and he certainly holds a grudge against him. This would certainly give Dexter a reason to kill Paul but I could be way off here. Paul's time could be up. After she hit him with the bat and took off with the kids, I think we can assume Rita called the cops on her ex-husband.

I found myself really disliking Deb. I understand her dedication to Harry but she had no reason to get all angry and whiny when Dexter tried looking into Joe's background. He had every reason to want closure, to at least know if this man (his father!) was murdered... since he was.

Despite all my criticism here, I'm still loving this show. Now that we have a clear picture of who Rudy is and what he wants, it makes it that much more exciting. What is his exact endgame though? Is he actually Dexter's brother? Does he want him dead? Does he want to partner up with him? We'll see.

Emily

What was the song playing in the car with Dexter's dad in the flashback? It's also playing at the end of the episode. It's driving me crazy.

December 12 2006 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tw111

Dottore, I noticed that also, and wondered why they missed the fact that O neg can be given to anyone regardless of b/t....

December 03 2006 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annie

Dexter and Rudy brothers, that potential connection has been there ever since we first laid eyes on Rudy. How would Rudy even know how to find Dexters real dad, otherwise?

December 02 2006 at 10:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emily

what other movies has rudy been in?

December 02 2006 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis

I just wanted to say, good catch on the Dex and Rudy brother possibility. If they were brothers that would mean that the story Rudy was telling Deb might mean that Dex's "Bio Dad" may have in fact, killed Dex's mother. that might explain the brief flashback to a very young dexter sitting in a pool of blood. Also I wanted to say that Rudy and Dex are quite different from each other, besides their physical appearance, example- 1) Rudy is neat and clean in his kills and he doesn't only kill the Guilty....Dexter is a "get the job done" kind of guy. 2)Dexter is more of a loner type that doesn't like to spend time with people, Rudy is not as emotionally disconnected as Dexter and he can deal with his emotions better. These were just my opinions on the information provided. Please correct me if you think I'm wrong.

November 30 2006 at 1:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Spazzed

I think the reason why we have to episode is to tie Dexter closer to his past. In Shrink Wrap, Dexter during his flashback on the sofa is seen as a small child in pools and pools of blood. I think that his father will tie into that. I also believe that the ice truck killer will try to recreate that horror for him in the up coming episode.

November 29 2006 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angelina

Wow, I never thought of the whole brother angle. That would be interesting 2 killing brothers; one for good and one for evil. I do agree about Deb, she is very selfish and needs to grow up. I find her very annoying. I don't know if Dexter would kill Paul. I think he likes Rita's kids too much to hurt them.
Just a thought.

November 29 2006 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ana

How cute was the shower scene at the beginning? Dex, you are now official part of Rita´s family! Deal with it!
And I began to like Rudy - really! But killing the old lady reminds me that he´s far more cold blooded and emotionless than Dexter. I´ll stick with Dexter.
Michael C. Hall is an exceptional actor, I hope he will showered with awards for his work.

November 29 2006 at 2:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frix

I am from Europe and I love this show, it is, or at least was until now, completely amazing. The last episode left me a bit less excited than the previous ones, but that was bound to happen.

Since I can only watch Dexter via warez releases, can a kind soul please share what was shown in the preview for the next ep? I only managed to understand something about Angel finding out about Rudy? Any help is appreciated!

November 28 2006 at 8:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gerber

Deb is so annoying I am hoping the 'shared cold one' will be her.

November 28 2006 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply