December 18, 2014

ABC plans to air final episodes of The Nine next year

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Nov 28th 2006 2:02PM

The NineAs Bob, and numerous others speculated days ago, the news is now confirmed according to CNN. The Nine has been officially yanked from the ABC Wednesday night line-up and for at least this week, will be replaced with a new episode of 20/20.

Only seven episodes have aired (they all tanked in the ratings), but ABC ordered a total of 13. So there's still six hours worth of marginally exciting, semi-enjoyable, snooze-inducing, bank robbing mystery hanging around in TV limbo. They'll see the light of day, but not until later in the season. So they probably won't air until some time in the spring and unless something magical happens, The Nine is a goner. You can take that to the bank! Oohh! That's right... I went there.

I guess no one gave a crap about what happened in there.

drew

i am really not surprised to see this show go. there were WAY TOO MANY new shows this fall, most with crappy story lines. i saw one episode, and it was pretty good, but i dont see how a serise could have even been made about one bank robbery. maybe if the bank robery had taken place for the season finale, there would be more to build off of that story line. the story was really not going anywhere anyway, so its not a huge loss. too bad for kim raver though, i know she can do better than this show (third watch, which was btw the best show i have ever seen). anyway, with the story going nowhere, and all the new shows this fall, then end of The Nine, doesnt surprise me one bit.

December 01 2006 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Penny Lee

Hi everyone,

If you were a fan of the show, and you'd like to see it get a second shot, please drop by and sign the save the show petition. Whether you just want to see the remaining episodes, want a season, want the producers to "fix" it, whatever.

There is a lot of shows that are a lot worse than this still on the air. I think some of the pacing issues can be fixed, if the producers are given a shot.

November 30 2006 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trevor

Though ABC says it will return, it's pretty doubtful considering the low ratings and that it's a serial drama. It's not like they can put it back on the air in three months and expect everyone to remember all the details of these people's lives and experience.

DVD release seems unlikely too since I doubt they'll be able to tie everything up in 13 episodes.

November 29 2006 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

"They move shows all over the schedule without notice and they never give new shows a chance. Unless a show is making piles of money immediately, the networks aren't interested. No wonder they're losing viewers to cable left and right."

Which explains why Friday Night Lights and Studio 60 have been canceled.

November 29 2006 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

I REALLY wanted to like this show - mostly because of the casting.

They lost me after about three episodes. I kept recording them but I was never motivated enough to watch them.

November 29 2006 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tracy Sandler

I loved this show and am sorry it's gone for now. But the larger issue for me is how the major networks decide these things. They move shows all over the schedule without notice and they never give new shows a chance. Unless a show is making piles of money immediately, the networks aren't interested. No wonder they're losing viewers to cable left and right.

November 29 2006 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NavStar

I might have worked better on Showtime or HBO and their 12-episode seasons. But having to drag this dead horse out to 20+ episodes grew tiresome.

It's not like frozen aliens and or a Rambaldi box were being kept in the bank's vault.... or were there??

November 28 2006 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonny Rice

While I enjoyed the show, I agree with Margaret, it was just too slow. Maybe if they had treated it like the producers of Day Break are producing their own show -- a serialized mini-series with a beginning, middle and ending -- then the plotting would have picked up. The Nine would have worked as a killer 22-ep series. Instead, the creators had to drag this bank robbery out bit by bit in order to make a series that could last longer than year. If anything, it's a good argument for more mini-series type serials. And fewer Oh God, this is going on forever Lost-facsimile disasters.

November 28 2006 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

So much promise.

Too damn slow.

November 28 2006 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

Too bad. I'll pick it up again when it returns. But it didn't exceed my expectations enough for me to own it on DVD.
It is a good show, but not enough people gave it a chance. It is slow developing with a hint of action throughout. Basically a tease for all those who expect action and suspense like Lost fans tune in for each hour prior to The Nine.
Victim of circumstances (in my best stooges voice).

Oh well, I guess I'll have more free time on Wednesday night until Lost/The Nine come back on in 2007.

November 28 2006 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply