September 15, 2014

CSI: Miami - Come As You Are

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Nov 28th 2006 10:16AM

Alexx autopsies a dead soldier.(S05E10) Did this episode seem weird to anyone else? Weird as in something that shouldn't have even been tackled by Horatio and his team? One character even pointed it out during his interrogation: "Isn't Iraq a little bit out of your jurisdiction?" My thoughts exactly. Maybe it's just me, but damn near everything in this episode seemed like a bit of a stretch.

If anything, I appreciated that the writers for this show were willing to take on a tough subject like the war in Iraq but I think they handled it the wrong way. The episode had a clear negative view on the war (which was great) but I didn't agree 100% with the way they negatively portrayed the Marines and their recruiters. They made everyone seem so devious and two-faced which came across as disrespectful if you ask me. Although it is only one interpretation of what's going on and as I said, you have to at least give them a pat on the back for going near the topic.

There were actually two cases that the CSIs dealt with, both involving marines. The first made sense. A marine recruiter was found dead on a civilian gun range. Definitely something Horatio and Co. would look into. But the second case? A marine killed in Iraq and Horatio opened up a case in Miami on it? Way too hard to believe and far too convenient to solve. It was laughable. A dead marine shot by an independent contractor that just so happened to be from Miami as well? Not to mention that his truck was back in Miami also? Everything fell into place far too easily.

Anyone else notice how Rob Estes was back for about five seconds as Natalia's ex, Nick? He was asking Valera out on a date. The story this sets up is great but man... Rob Estes must really be hurting if he's willing take tiny roles like that. From The Evidence to this? Although, I suppose this does set him up for more screen time.

One thing that's been starting to bug me is Horatio's involvement with the team. He's strictly just playing detective with Tripp now. He's never in the lab doing work like he used to be. He's qualified. According to his character profile on the CBS website, he has a degree in chemistry! I just wish he'd get his hands dirty once in a while like Gil and Mac do on the other CSI shows. Maybe people would stop ragging on him if he did something other than cock his head and drive his Hummer.

Nice touch ending the episode with Johnny Cash's "Like A Soldier." One of my favorite Cash tunes. Speaking of ending though, now that November sweeps is coming to a close this will probably be the last new CSI: Miami episode we'll see in a while. Heck, we're not even into December and the season is almost half over. Hopefully some better episodes will emerge after the holiday season.

reah

hi my name is reah
i live in uk so were still watchin series 4. so i dont know wat happened in come as u go episode am sure it was'nt dat bad da episode anyway i luv da show nva missed and episode of csi miami huge fan of adam rodriguez. god his sooooooo hot bless him so kepp up with the good work

December 09 2006 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
reah

hi my name is reah

December 09 2006 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bschott

I'm with you all on this episode. First off, What was with the opening line "The war maybe staged but the murder isn't". This was the first time I litterally groaned then laughed at the silliness of it all. Who is writing these lines...carrot top? Miss Jamison's 5th grade class?

I was really hyped at the start of the show when the marine recruiter was found dead. Perfect set up for an NCIS cross over! I could just hear Gibbs, Tony, and Mcgee working the case... But as the show unfolds I was left confused. How is it that JAG would allow a civilian agency to investigate the death of a Marine Recruiter? NCIS, a federal law enforcement agency with jurisdiction on crimes involving persons and property associated with the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Marine Corps, would have been ordered to investigate, and local CSIs would not be authorized to conduct the investigation. I can understand H wanting to clear the marine of any involvement in his brother's death but come on. As pointed out a 9mm slug is easy to tell from a 5.56 round and any military mortitian would be able to tell the difference so this name-clearing for the living brother should never have been an plot-point. Now a woman that knows a co-worker had an abusive husband...that man went to jail for his abuse, and the co-worker had a restraining order on him...that woman is going to date the abusive ex-husband? I guess it's darwinism. If H cares so much for his team, why didn't he step in and tell the guy to get lost? Nope, too busy standing around and looking cool.

December 05 2006 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JQ Grace

OK, Let's get down to some specifics: Why couldn't a Navy Corpsman tell the difference between a 5.56mm(M-16) & 9mm (M-9 pistol) when he removed the bullet? Why would the government send the Florida truck driver's truck to Iraq and back? Why would the Marines release the body to a civilian investigative agency?
This show is REALLY going down hill fast!

December 04 2006 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeannine McKenna

I said the same thing the other day to my sister about Horatio and his sunglasses. LOL

December 02 2006 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeannine McKenna

I'm w/you guys all the way on this last episode. And I agree w/ Chris- I too, am more entertained w/the re-runs on A&E, than I am w/the current season on CBS. Let's get the Natalia vs ex-psycho/abusive hubby (Rob Estes) out of there. It's not an attractive story line to "be continuing", either. The writers need to listen to us out here. Or am I being out of line?

December 02 2006 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I think the most aggravating thing about this show is that the last time I looked, it beat the original CSI (Vegas) in the ratings!

I need to find a new planet to live on.

November 30 2006 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kathy ginda

I have be a caruso fan a long time, but the old csi are much better then some of the new one. And he also had better suits and shirts. What happen to the bugget. I cant stand that black shirt with the strips and that black suit the only one he seen to have on the show. I would like to write the producer but dont know how, and tell how bad the show has gotten and how bad caruso is looking(like he is 60)but he did marry a girl in he 20. I tought it was a big joke. laugh for weeks.

November 30 2006 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mika

I ask myself why..why...this show is on the air still? Maybe because these questions remained unanswered

Can anyone tell me why Caruso has to stand sideways to...deliver...his...lines..very...slowly, my friend?
Why, after Caruso has explained procedures to his team for the benefit of the viewer doesn't one of the team just holler 'I know!' at him?
Is Adam Rodriguez (Eric), the Cuban Zoolander?
Can anyone except dogs hear Emily Proctor (Calleigh) when she speaks?
What exactly is Horatio Crane's job - is he:
a) a bomb expert?
b) a sunglasses model?
c) a one-man SWAT team?
d) God?
e) all of the above?
Was Speed the only intelligent member of the team and proved it by committing suicide?

November 29 2006 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
drew

meh... this episode was alright. i did like the older episodes of older seasons better, and agree its going downhill. i hope this show gets back to where it used to be, which was the status of a damn good show... i am getting more dissapointed with the show after each episode...

November 29 2006 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply