July 30, 2014

Some late thoughts on Assy McGee

by Adam Finley, posted Nov 28th 2006 12:01PM

assy mcgeeAssy McGee, Adult Swim's new series about a tough cop who also happens to be a talking ass, debuted Sunday evening.

Given Adult Swim's track record of shows that are often much smarter than they seem and sometimes take several viewings to truly appreciate, I didn't go into this "talking ass" show with any preconceived notions that it would be impossible to create a worthwhile show centered around an ill-mannered butt. Also, comedians Jon Benjamin and Jon Glaser were involved with the show, so I knew there had to be some dry, ironic twist to the whole mess, some way they would make a show called "Assy McGee" much smarter and funnier than a show with that title should be.

And they did indeed create a rather clever and funny show, but I also think they may have outsmarted themselves. Not unlike Stroker and Hoop before it, Assy McGee borrows from '70s era police and detective dramas. Assy McGee is a Dirty Harry kind of lawman, and also not especially bright, hunting down a man named John Adams and shooting a man pretending to be the late president John Adams instead. When we first see Assy, he arrives at a crime scene and immediately opens fire on everyone for no reason. What makes the show work, at least for now, I think, is that none of the other characters ever acknowledge the fact that Assy is a talking butt with legs. He's just another member of the police force, a mumbling, gun-toting madman who likes to make his own rules and follow his own code.

Family Guy and comedian Andy Dick have both featured bits with talking asses, so I guess Assy McGee could be described as the "Thinking Man's Talking Ass." The concept itself is well-executed and very funny once you're in on the joke, but whether or not that premise can hold up for more episodes remains to be seen.

I_don\'t_know

Assy STINKS LOL. Assy "Something smells here."

December 23 2006 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Death

To tell the truth, I wanted to hate assy mcgee when I saw the advertisements for it, I wanted to look past this show and say wow, now what was lame.. I can't! This show is amazingly brilliant, It is so off the wall and different, I loved the very 1st episode, right from the start Assy is blowing people away for no reason, the show has continued to be just as good, and at the end of most episodes, I look at my brother and we both say "what the fu-ck was that"? then start laughing and recap on what the last 10 mins was all about and laugh our ass's off. To the people who say this show sucks, give it a chance, for real, let it grow on you, or assy will send you a bullet with your email on it, don't make him press send, haha, later on dudes!

December 18 2006 at 2:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Dude

Assy rules, being he is such a loner he should have an ex-wife entering the series soon. You guessed it - Booby McGee. I can see a spin off here - LOL.
Love the show.
5 Stars out of 5

December 12 2006 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan

its time to come to DVD !!!!!!!!!

December 10 2006 at 2:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

I thought assy mcgee was halairious. He even sounds like what an ass would if it could talk....or like Rocky. LOL
Compaird to all those other crack head shows adult swima has, I think assy is one of the better shows on adult swim.

December 08 2006 at 3:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRS62

Assy may be trying something, but it's not trying something either 1) completely nuts like 12oz Mouse or 2) the fresh and new take on Superheroes/Villians like Frisky Dingo.
In the end, depsite some decent animation, the only thing it's trying is my patience.

November 28 2006 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MW

The funniest thing in the episode for me was the theme music, which was a pretty dead-on parody of Law & Order style opening credits sequences.

But yeah, Frisky Dingo's the best new thing they've got going.

November 28 2006 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I not even going to lie, assy mcgee sucked,it was worth a dam cause it makes no sense, I mean does he have invisible arms or what, but the same could be said to 12oz. mouse. Frisk Dingo is a funny newcomer to me.

November 28 2006 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Wow... I caught the movie "Idiocracy" a couple of months back and according to Mike Judge, the number one movie in the future will be "ASS". I guess they must have turned this series into a feature film!

November 28 2006 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

Adult Swim has great original material like Aqua Teen HF, Venture Brothers, and Harvey Birdman. But they've got weird experimental mutants like Tom Goes to the Mayor, 12oz Mouse, and now this inane Assy McGee. Whatever. As long as they continue to front-load Swim with Futurama and Family Guy I'll be happ-pay.

November 28 2006 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply