October 1, 2014

Biggest Loser renewed; fat people excited

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 29th 2006 12:32PM

Biggest LoserThe Biggest Loser, the I-can't-believe-people-watch-this show on NBC, has been renewed for a fourth season.

Honestly, I don't know anyone who watches this show, and I've never heard of anyone who actually talks about it either (other than the coverage here at this site of course, but only because I work here). It's like NCIS, only for people who have to lose weight in a humiliating fashion. But somehow, it has become a successful show for the network, a show that NBC can actually count on to bring in consistent numbers.

I'm happy that people go on the show and lose weight and that some of them even have "life changing results," as NBC Entertainment President Kevin Reilly says. But I have no interest in watching it. First, it's a reality show, and I'm very choosy now in what reality shows I watch. And I also don't know why overweight people (or most other reality show contestants) would want to go on a show like this.

People watch this show, but they don't watch other NBC shows like Kidnapped (and enough of you don't watch Studio 60 and Friday Night Lights)? Sigh.

Doug

Your one of the few people that still raves about Studio 60, what a dog. NCIS is a great show with great ratings. Please leave it out of your silly rants.

November 29 2006 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PastaQueen

Some of the contestants see the show as the only way they'll ever be able to lose weight because they've tried lots of different diets and failed. I think fat people like the show because it's encouraging to know you can lose lots of weight without having to have half your stomach removed.

November 29 2006 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Cheap to make = show stays on.

November 29 2006 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Whoosh

it's like a home improvement show but for people.
this old fat person

November 29 2006 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

what are you talking about NCIS is a true megahit, this crap looks bad and gets barely passable ratings

November 29 2006 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

Well this is an "inspirational" reality show. People go on this show to really change their lives, and people dig seeing will power hard at work. I think the strength of the show is how deeply committed the contestants and the trainers are at turning their lives around. Throw in games and temptations and it makes for pretty good TV. I don't know why people go on reality shows at all, but having seen some of the results, it's not surprising that more and more people want to participate.

November 29 2006 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply