July 24, 2014

Jericho: Vox Populi

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 29th 2006 9:18PM

Jericho(S01E11) So Gracie the store owner is dead, stabbed by an unknown assailant, and you just know five minutes into the show that the person who is suspected of the crime, is not the guilty party. And when Mitchell comes back into town, injured, saying that Jonah "confessed" to the crime and then ran off, you know that Jonah didn't do it. But Gray and the townspeople form a posse to go get Jonah anyway. He's hiding at Emily's house, and Jake finds him there, bleeding to death.

Dale finds guilty about the way he quit the job at Gracie's store, but Gail has some shocking news for him: Gracie left the store to him in her will.

The election is tomorrow, and more and more people are starting to side with Gray, which doesn't make Johnston and Gail happy. Gray is even campaigning, talking to a crowd outside. And it works: he is elected Mayor.

Jake gets the doctor to patch up Jonah, but Jonah leaves before Jake can get Johnston to take action and protect him. He doesn't get far: the angry mob finds him and take him in.

Bonnie isn't too happy that Stanley and Mimi ("Manley?" "Stimi?") are sleeping together. She goes into town and tries to comfort Dale, but the other girl gets to him first. So Bonnie, of course, goes on a date with the jerk kid that's always giving Dale a hard time.

Whoever is talking to Hawkins on the other end of the computer tells him that the traitor has been exposed and they need his help. But Hawkins wants to spend more time with his family, and tells the person that he's been compromised and that they should proceed without him.

Dale finds out who killed Gracie, and it's exactly who we thought: Mitchell. He says he'll kill Dale too if he fails to make him a partner in the store. Just when I was about to say "oh no, one of those TV situations where the person threatened doesn't go to the police and tell them just because it will drag out the drama," Dale actually goes to Johnston and Jake! They rush to the police station. Gray and the cops were about to "transfer" Jonan to safety (translation: kill him), but in a dramatic confrontation, Jake convinces Gray that he shouldn't kill Jonah, that justice should prevail. They reach a deal to throw Jonah out of town and arrest Mitchell. Gray and Johnston come to a semi-truce.

Jonah says goodbye to Emily, but not before telling her that he left town years ago for his mother's sake, and that she shouldn't blame Jake for Chris' death, and that Jake still loves her. Their song is "Nothing Compares 2 U." Oh God. But what about Heather? What about Roger? Gah, there are more triangles in this town than in a geometry class.

But since this is the fall finale (til February), we have some big developments at the end: Dale shoots Mitchell, a group of survivors from outside stumble into town - one of them is Roger! - and Hawkins gets another mesage on the computer, asking why he's lying to them. They have pics of him and his family from a satellite. And they send the message "See You Soon."

TeresaMac

To Viv (no. 11): Bonnie is deaf, and uses American Sign Language, lip reading, and spoken language. Not too surprising that with her brother, and other people she is very close to, and that are fluent in sign language, that she would primarily use sign language - especially when she wants to exclude Mimi, who surely doesn't know sign language. Think of it as her first language. She's not mute, as evidenced by her speaking so well with the people in town, who probably wouldn't know more than the rudimentaries of sign language.

To Nez (no. 2): I've only been reading this site for a little while, but it seems that they don't post until after they see the episode, at the same time we see the episode - so it shouldn't really be spoilers for anyone. Personally, I always tend to watch everything a day late, so I make sure I don't look at the episode review/synopsis until after I've seen it, because I know they will recap all the major points.

December 01 2006 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris J. Popp

Here's my .02

a) Hawkin's wife will be the traitor. That's why she pulls the gun on Hawkins in the preview for Feb. She had her son ask dad to go outside and play football (Remember, the boy says "I dunno" when asked why at this time he had to play football) to be captured during a satellite fly-over.

b) Dale killing Mitch was about as predictable as, well, Dale getting the store.

c) With the generator helping power stuff, why not have someone be on alert with either the television or ham radio for news and information? Perhaps Homeland Security is trying to contact the population again.

d) Grey is gonna screw up in the first few eps and ask that Mayor Green take back over. Hopefully, Grey then shuts up.

e) Bonnie getting the farm? That's what she said. "My farm". And what's with her and the jerk? It started to look like she was going to flirt with Dale.

f) You're right - ENOUGH of the wet streets. It's like the kids playing in the water fountain that could be contaminated. Someone needs to watch for things like that. I am interested in knowing what the trick with wet streets is when filming?

g) The contrails were funny. That's about as good as a ep of Studio 60 a few weeks back having a Bartlet sign on the set.

h) Whoever the idiot that said "Lets use the generator to light up downtown" is, shoot him. I can think of things that are more important to use electricity with. I think the only reason the generator was introduced was to get around problems with lighting the sets.

i) Jonah gets saved by Jake and Mayor Green. With Jonah work with the townies more often? Is he a changed man?

ok.. a lot of comments, I know.

November 30 2006 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David P Brown

In what town does the changing of mayoral responsibilities take place the day after the election? Just because Johnston was defeated in the election doesn't mean he would all of sudden not be mayor the very next day. Other than that... loved the episode.

November 30 2006 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Viv

Somebody explain this to me because i am totally confused. Bonnie talks for a little while and then goes back to the hand signals deal. Is she a mute or not? This episode for a "fall finale" was a big letdown. They already showed the important scenes last week. But will watch again in Feb though.

November 30 2006 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan

This was a really bad episode. It was predictable from start to finish. There was only about 5 minutes worth of good stuff! I don't need constant answers to all the questions but this is ridiculous. The amount of stupid soap opera stuff is crazy!

I mean who CARES about Mimi and Stanley hooking up, who cares about the Roger,Heather,Jake,Emily rectangle. Arg it pains me because i like the premise and the characters!

And people who say 'well stop watching it you don't like it', well i'll continue watching because im still half interested in what happens next(in the main plot, nto the 14 stupid sub-plots) and that there's nothing else playing!

Sure they leave us with a semi cliffhanger of Dale shooting Mitch and Hawkings getting that message. But that doesn't justify the other 45 boring minutes!

For a fall finale before taking a big break you better have a HUGE and SOLID episode filled with answers and more questions and big cliffhangers. This one just didn't cut it.

November 30 2006 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

After realising that the writers of this show had to do "it" for an 8 o'clock time slot, I have accepted my fate and have stopped wishing it was more.

I feel that the writting has dramtically imporved show after show and can I say, I'm actually looking forward to Feb?

I too feel as if Jake is the "tratior" although I am not entirely comfortable with Hawkins yet.

The only thing I wish for the show is that they stop giving us the complete obvious. When the "new people" walked into town, I *knew* one of them would be Roger. And then Mitchell got shot, you knew who was on the other end of the gun.

November 30 2006 at 8:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

Yeah that preview for next year appears to finally reveal what happened with the bombs. Here is my interpretation of the preview:

1. The fleet of white trucks. These trucks carried nuclear bombs. They were driven to U.S. cities and detonated.

2. Hawkins is FBI and worked undercover to infiltrate this group.

3. The "traitor" of this terrorist group is... Jake.

My conclusion: Jake first got involved with them while working for a military contractor in Iraq. The group consists of Americans who want to overthrow the Federal government. Jake joined them originally thinking that they were merely a political group of disgruntled former U.S. soldiers who wanted America out of the Middle East. But he eventually discovered that they were really anarchists who had a dangerous plan.

In the pilot episode, Jake stopped off in Jericho on his way to one of the major cities, where he was determined to stop one of the bombs from being detonated.

Hawkins has one of the nuclear drums, which he has sealed up in the basement of his house.

November 30 2006 at 3:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shirley Simchik

I am extremely disappointed in the romance pairing so far. April is far finer than Mary. Eric is nuts, as well as unfeeling about his future child. Heather is a far better love interest for Jake than Angel. Please reconsider, writers, in Feb. and fix this so obvious pair of mismatchs. Even Gail can't see these pairings.

November 30 2006 at 2:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

Great episode! And I *think* I know who the traitor is now.
Poor Dale. I hope he finds a real good hiding place for that gun!
Why does Bonnie hate Mimi so much? Looks like she's about to make a BIG mistake.

November 29 2006 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

I liked this episode; I thought it had extra chilling moments - like the moment in jail, with Jake coaxing Gray to kill Jonas; like Dale shooting Mitch; like the out-of-towners; like Hawkins secret buddy. Good stuff. Even though I detest that Gray became mayor (he scares me, and should scare those people who voted for him), I think it is an excellent story-development. I like that Jonas left town. He is one good-bad guy that should only show his face once in a while. Can't wait til he comes back into town - to bring help or trouble. To the love triangle - I say to the writers, scratch that. I can't believe February!

November 29 2006 at 10:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply