December 17, 2014

Law & Order SVU: Choreographed

by Anna Johns, posted Nov 29th 2006 12:01PM
olivia benson(S08E09) I can't decide what I liked better about this episode-- Bob Saget or the return of Mariska Hargitay. Det. Olivia Benson comfortably slipped back in to being Det. Elliot Stabler's partner without much fanfare. No fanfare, really. She barely got a "Welcome Back" from Elliot. Casey was cold toward her, even though Olivia came back in time to help her get a conviction on a rape case. I think Det. Munch gave her the warmest reception. All these police types: bottling up their emotions! Sheesh!

As for the episode, I think it was a strong one. The supporting characters/guest stars had pretty great roles that were filled by pretty great actors. Chris Sarandon (aka, The Six-Fingered Man Prince Humperdink- thanks, Meg!) did a great job playing a cold, selfish choreographer. His wife was killed and he basically didn't care. That makes him a great suspect, but it turns out he's just a really bad person who isn't capable of murder, just adultery.

It was Bob Saget who stole the show. He has already broken away from his goofy, Full House/America's Funniest Home Videos characters. But the character he played on SVU was pathetic... and sick. He was his own science fiction movie where the scientists create robots (or iPods) that take over the world. I would've liked to have seen a little more Bernadette Peters. She played Sarandon's lawyer but we only got to see her for a chunk in the middle of the episode and then the focus turned to Saget. As for Catherine Bell, she kind-of disappeared into the background behind Saget and Sarandon. But still a strong performance from all.

What do you guys think of the final scene with Olivia and Elliot? They find out each other's blood types and tell each other that they'd donate a kidney. Is that their way of saying "We're just friends"? Things were pretty intense at the end of last season before Olivia left to go undercover. There was some sort of sexual tension between them. Now Olivia seems to have pulled away from Elliot and Elliot seems to feel like Olivia abandoned him.

Olivia

i couldnt believe casey for saying tat to liv but i think that elliot missed olivia a little less than he should have espesially when he kissed dani(i hate that woman)the whole season so far has to do with olivia loving elliot but everytime they get to talk its always cut short i know if the two get together it will basically end the show cheoreograghed is basically telling people about how the two are readjusting and how they belong together friends or more either way you people see it (they are a perfect couple) the whole reflection is showing how the roles of the guest stars match the tension between elliot and olivia the whole kidney thing in my eyes is a way of apoligy and is a way to give the people watching a hint thats myu opinions

December 30 2006 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeannine McKenna

I was so happy that Dani was gone and Olivia was back!! What I couldn't understand (and the writers left us in the dark) is the "cold" reception/welcome back(?) atmosphere & attitudes towards Olivia from the Squad and ADA. It would've made me feel unappreciated and I would've walked right back out of the station, that's how I felt Olivia must've felt.

December 02 2006 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kara

I think the writers did a great job with this episode. In the beginning you have the tension between Olivia and Elliot. It almost seems like Elliot resents Olivia for being back and not being Dani or maybe he is still just feeling hurt over being 'left' by so many women as he mentions earlier in the episode. Elliot is really on the defensive after Olivia's 'handler' comment. I think she picks up on what she's doing after Elliot's phone call with Kathy. She immediately starts changing her tune. After that she compliments him on his decision to let Bog Saget confront his cheating wife at the station.

I love the interrogation scene where you can see their reflection in the glass. Is that remark about wanting to control someone not being the same thing as love hitting too close to home with Olivia? And how about her remark later to the cheating wife about how people fall in and out of love all the time. Is she referring to how Elliot seems to have lost some of his feeling for her? Or am I reading too much into this?

As for the comments from Novak, I think this was just a device by the writers to help unite Elliot and Olivia. Maybe now that Olivia is trying to adjust her attitude about Elliot being a loose cannon she will be more confident to go out on a limb herself. Who knows, perhaps it's Olivia's turn to be 'out of control'. Despite his feeling for Dani, I think one of the things Elliot enjoyed most about his relationship was the confidence it help give back to him as a man and as a detective.

And as for the ending, is it their way of saying they're just friends? Hmm. It might be. That is, unless there is some subtext to all that 'kidney' talk. Who knows, maybe they are really talking about their hearts.

I can't wait to see. I hope now that Olivia is back the episodes will pick back up. I have to say, that except for the romantic tension, this season has been a bit dissapointing so far.

December 01 2006 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicole

see, i think the kidney comment was just to show off their chemistry.

the part with the two way mirror was kind of intense...they were talking about love and control, and being smothered and olivia's reflection was naomi, and elliot's was on the guys...it was very telling, they were totally trying to parallel the situations and "couples"

and afterwards, where olivia told naomi "things happen...peopele fall in an dout of love all the time."

also, the way they pitted elliot and olivia against casey...

November 29 2006 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Sorry - always looking for an excuse to quote that line! :)

I thought the final scene with Olivia & Elliot was so poignant & touching. I think each of them offering up a kidney transcends just a romantic relationship - their relationship goes deeper than that, and I think the kidney-thing was their way of acknowledging that. That's my take anyway. I am glad that others noticed how no one seemed to care that Olivia was back. If *I* had been gone for months and received the reception that Olivia did (I'm not even counting how Novac treated her - she needed some damn Midol or something!), I would have thrown a fit!!! A serious fit!!! I know it's tv and all, and they couldn't have a huge, time-consuming party for her in the middle of a horrendous murder investigation, but C'MON!!! Show the woman a little love!!!

November 29 2006 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Author 1

Personally, I think Novak is just taking over the smug self-righteous part usually supplied on L&O by McCoy.

November 29 2006 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meg

Chris Sarandon was Prince Humperdinck! Christopher Guest was the Six-Fingered man! :) Not that that is reaally important.

I'm glad Olivia's back, and I'm excited to see how the Elliot/Oliva relationship works itself out.

November 29 2006 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

From what I remember Olivia got mad about Elliot's anger management problems and asked to be pulled from being his partner. He took that very personally and then she disappeared without telling him anything. Danni also showed Stabler how angry he was by seeing how angry she was. I would have liked to see Olivia and Danni working together for at least one or two episodes instead of passing in the night. I think that would have made for explosive situation. Anyway, now Elliot knows he was wrong in some ways but can't apologize. Olivia knows she was wrong too and can't really apologize so I guess they will just dance around each other some more and solve crimes.

November 29 2006 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rhomboid

Novak could just still be annoyed at Benson from three episodes ago where she almost didn't make it to court to testify in the rape case, and the guy would have otherwise walked.

Regarding their potential relationship, there is something still yet to come. I think that whole business about her repeating Elliot's name over and over when she was in the hospital had to have some significance, both to her and to us. She might have adopted a standoffish stance with Elliot because she realized that she might have feelings, but I bet she will let down that façade eventually.

November 29 2006 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bebop

I seriously did not understand why Novack was being so mean to her and snappy. I realize that she pretty much almost damaged their case but still. She got a really cold reception over all.

November 29 2006 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply