August 1, 2014

Preacher comic coming to life on HBO

by Anna Johns, posted Nov 29th 2006 10:26AM
preacherHBO is developing a one-hour series based on the late 1990s comic, called Preacher. The story is about a small-town Texas preacher who is possessed by a Genesis, a half angel/half demon entity. As The Hollywood Reporter describes, "the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God." The series was considered edgy for its commentary on American religious and political issues. The Irish and British creators of the comic are co-executive producing the series. It's being written by Mark Steven Johnson, the screenwriter who adapted Daredevil for the big screen.

If the series can be as clever in its observations on Americana as the comic was, it sounds like a great fit for HBO. The network is in desperate need of something that is going to make people talk. The Sopranos and Sex and the City used to be that for HBO, but one has fizzled while the other is long gone.

Nate

This would make to be a great TV series I think and I hope that they will make start this soon. HBO TV series like True Blood, Games of Thorns, and Boardwalk Empire that I like to watch on my off time. The best part is that I can watch all my favorite programs live on the internet on dishonline.com plus some shows that I don’t subscribe to online for no additional charge being a DISH customer. I recently found out through a co-worker at DISH that they have some Hulu content available as well. Check this link out http://bit.ly/dJzWgo.

June 11 2011 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Yeah... Don't even attempt to think you have any idea what Preacher is like from shoddy descriptions. Garth Ennis is a severely twisted individual. I have a suspicion Keith would love the comics, and anything Ennis has a hand in for that matter.

November 29 2006 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrisb

It's being written by the screenwriter of Daredevil? This is a bad, bad sign. That was one of the worst comic book adaptations of all time.

My casting suggestions:

Jesse Custer: Jeff Goldblum
Cassidy: Robert Carlyle

November 29 2006 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Keith, having read the whole "Preacher" comic set, I can assure you: Preacher is nothing like Carnivale. Unfortunately, Mark Steven Johnson's involvement in this leads me to believe it will suck. He's like a minor-league Michael Bay.

November 29 2006 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

They did this show all ready-- only better and more profound. It was called Carnivale, but HBO suddenly became cost-cutting so they cancelled it. They also cancelled The Comeback, another excellent show, and they're giving the fantastic Rome only one more season. Too expensive and not enough viewers. They have to stop thinking like a regular network and aim simply for quality and originality, like they once did.

November 29 2006 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

What worries me here is the short-lived HBO 'Carnivale' that sort-of sounds along the same lines as this. Hopefully it will be good enough to last longer.

November 29 2006 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Excellent, Garth Ennis' writing is awesome. Let's just hope the series is as graphic and has the same sharp wit as the comic. Can't wait to see who they cast.

November 29 2006 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

WOW! Great news!! Who do you think they will cast?

November 29 2006 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Henry

Hmmm....I wonder if they will use the Imagine Casting as a blue print: http://imaginecasting.com/imagine/topPicks.php?Movie_ID=239

Get the CG ready for Arse Face!

November 29 2006 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply