September 15, 2014

Don't forget! Men in Trees is on tonight

by Anna Johns, posted Nov 30th 2006 12:08PM
men in treesI'm hoping that Men in Trees finally gets the attention it deserves when it premieres in its new time slot tonight, following the number one show on television, Grey's Anatomy. Up until now, ABC hasn't given much love to Men in Trees. The network stuck the show on Fridays at nine with only reruns as a lead-in-- originally, Ugly Betty was the lead-in but it was moved to Thursdays. The dramedy stars Anne Heche, a tough choice for a lead actor because of her strange past in the gossip magazines. But, the show not only survived on Friday nights, it did well enough for ABC to order an entire season.

Here's why I like Men in Trees: it makes me happy. But, I wouldn't call it cheesy. It's about Marin Frist, a relationship coach whose own relationship falls to pieces as she's on a book tour in Alaska. She ends up staying in the small town of Elmo, where she's studying men and also learning more about herself. Anne Heche is surprisingly wonderful in the role of Marin, a character who is not flawless but learns from her mistakes. She's not a fumbling, ditzy blonde. And I adore the supporting characters, who are all very complex and not at all stereotypical of a small town.

Laura McBride

Northern Exposure is my favorite all-time show! Men In Trees is quirky and refreshing and has some wonderful similarities (but no show has managed to develop characters like NE). Granted, MIT is no Northern Exposure, but it's a wonderful escape. I DVR it and part of the fun is that I don't have to wait for my husband to watch it with me because he thinks it's a chick show. It's my very own guilty pleasure.

December 01 2006 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathleen Harris

What I want to know is, when will Anne Heche be promoting the show on Ellen?

November 30 2006 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathan

It's definitely light watching. I can't say there are any specific characters or relationships that I'm really rooting for. But it's entertaining enough.

Heard an interview with Anne Heche by the local radio jockeys this morning. She was very gracious, especially considering that most of the questions weren't about the show. She was very excited, though, about the show's move to Thursday night--made it easy to root for her and Men In Trees.

November 30 2006 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allen Mendelsohn

I have watched the show faithfully since Ep 1. It's great. It's just entertaining. So many shows now can be alot of work to watch (I'm looking at you, Lost). I love those shows when they are done well, don't get me wrong. But there is something to be said for a nice, simple, quality show with pretty good writing and a very solid cast that you can just sit back and enjoy.

In some ways it is very derivative of Northern Exposure, I freely admit that. But that was a damn good show, and this show can be proud of the homage it's paying.

I urge TVSquadders to watch.

November 30 2006 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SamMalone

I like this show too, but it feels best on a laid back Friday night. I wonder if they'll amp it up for Thursdays. But, I plan on Tivoing it for Fridays.

It's a little like Gilmore Girls, but the man aren't all emasculated.

November 30 2006 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony Lynch

I've been downloading it from the start, but have yet to watch it.
I hope I like it or it'll have been a waste of bandwidth, but from what I read it sounds good.

November 30 2006 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

In Maryland it's Sunday at 1:35 am or something like that.... we have to have the Raven's local broadcast and get each show the next three nights at 1:00 am. ARGH!

November 30 2006 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply