October 22, 2014

My Name Is Earl: Born a Gamblin' Man

by Michael Sciannamea, posted Nov 30th 2006 11:01PM

(S02E09) I was very surprised by the storyline of Randy going to profess his love for Catalina. I have been under the impression that Earl and Catalina would eventually hook up, so I'm not quite sure how this is going to turn out. It was good to see the more "human" side of Randy come out. He is definitely in love with Catalina, but I still think that he and his brother will be competing to win her heart. I'm also quite sure that people all over America will be laying down bubble wrap in honor of their objects of affection.

Of course, it woujld help if Catalina would remain in the country and not be deported for entering the country illegally. Her situation is now another major plot, besides Joy's pending trial, that will keep the show moving in other directions besides Earl crossing things off his list. I don't think devoting an entire episode to Earl making 274 bologna sandwiches for Kenny to make up for stealing his lunch in school years ago would have been very interesting.

Whenever Kenny shows up, Earl always seems to try extra hard to be nice and helpful. It probably is because Earl tortured him when they were kids, but nevertheless Kenny is a good character and he always seems to bring something to the table. The chicken-pooping-on-a-numbered-square game was hysterical, and I'm sure we'll see a variation of it soon enough either in Vegas or AC! (Maybe more in the Mohegan Sun or Foxwoods. :))

I think it's about time to bring Joy to trial. The writers seem to be dragging her storyline a bit--somehow I don't think justice is a long and slow process in Camden County. The scenes with her in group therapy didn't do much for me. I wonder if, during the trial, Crabman will be called to the stand, and whether his status as someone in the Witness Protection Program is going to be brought up in court. And if his cover is blown, who will be out to get him? Could this be another cliffhanger of sorts for the show?

The focus of the show was Earl and Kenny's gambling, and Earl was certainly on a hot streak, to say the least. But did karma catch up with him again when he decided to bet Catalina's money and not go to her when he was supposed to? I'm not sure if the lesson here is that winning at gambling will lead to getting one of your friends deported, but you knew it was too good to last for Earl.

Let's also not forget more great music used in an Earl episode. The Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want" made for a perfect soundtrack to introduce the Catalina cliffhanger, and Elton John's "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" worked well when Earl and Kenny were in the bar gambling.

Keith Staudte

Randy did call dibs, but Catalina does digs Earl. The only way we would ever see them hook up is if Randy decides to let go, or if Earl gets really intoxicated of course!!! Its happend before with Joy

December 05 2006 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rita

I definitely feel that the producers are leading to an Earl and Catalina hook-up. The fact that Randy called dibs (and, of course, that he's in love with her) will be a great plot point, and a real test to Earl and his list.

December 02 2006 at 7:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DanGarion

I've never once thought Catalina and Earl would hook up. They don't have any chemistry together and Earl seems content with her just as his friend. He looks at him more like a sister by my views of the show. Randy has always had something for her.

December 01 2006 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Chicken Poop Trump: That was Dwayne Wayne (Kadeem Hardison) from the Cosby Show spin-off A Different World. IMHO, probably the best thing about that show.

December 01 2006 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Chip, that was Kadeem Hardison http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0362429/

Best known as Dwayne Wayne from "A Different World"

December 01 2006 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matty

No mention of Kadeem Hardison from A Different World?!?! He was Dwayne Wayne! Great seeing him again.

December 01 2006 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron

Wasn't the "Donald Trump" Dwayne from Different World?

December 01 2006 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chip

You forgot the most important song of the episode!

"Chicken Drop" by Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper!

By the way, who was the "Donald Trump" of the Chicken Drop? He looked very familiar.

December 01 2006 at 10:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rvkey

Riiiiiicolaaaaaa!

December 01 2006 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
keith

There is NO WAY Earl will ever hook up with Caralina at this point! Randy called "DIBS" the first time he ever saw her...in fact, he woke Earl from a nap to call dibs.

December 01 2006 at 1:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply