November 29, 2014

Office producer remakes Aussie comedy hit

by Julia Ward, posted Dec 1st 2006 6:03PM
Kath and KimThis morning's Very Short List has a story about the Australian TV comedy Kath & Kim. The producers who oversaw the transformation of the UK Office into the stateside Dunder-Mifflin team are busy recreating Kath & Kim for American audiences.

The Aussie half-hour is a faux reality show about suburban mom Kath and her self-involved, lay-about adult daughter Kim. The show's been called "Absolutely Fabulous without the fabulous." The Sundance Channel will be playing a 90-minute Kath & Kim made-for-TV movie on December 24th and plans to air the Aussie version's third season. The American take is set to debut in 2007. If The Office's translation is any indication, this could be good news for comedy fans. Anyone other there familiar with the show? Personally, I'm happy to get behind any series that smacks of Ab Fab.

Cape Codder

K&K is my all time favorite show on TV. when DirecTV dropped Trio, I dropped Direct TV because I couldn't watch K&K. I hope the US version works and isn't a "Coupling" disaster (another great show but it didn't translate very well)

December 02 2006 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

It's not faux reality. It's just a single camera comedy without a laugh track. Remaking this one will be EXTREMELY difficult but I'm interested to see what they do!

December 02 2006 at 2:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katrina

OMG, this is the funniest show ever. You end up talking like the characters long after the show is over. The ABC in Australia also has more stuff about this show on their web site. I bought the DVD for this show when I was in OZ earlier in the year. Too bad they are planning to remake it for an American audience, as anyone who watches "The Office" knows, the original is better, edgier and will definitely lose something in translation.

Anyway, as an expat Aussie living in Canada, I was so thrilled when they orginally broadcast this show on "Showcase", but only the first season.

December 01 2006 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NavStar

K&K ROCKS!! I caught them on the now -defunct Trio! network and fell in love instantly. I ordered the DVDs from ABC (that's the *Australian* Broadcasting Network...ahem!)

They are insanely crazy. But I don't know how well it will translate. So much of it is the way they talk with their thick Aussie accents.
"Kimmay, Look at Moooiye! Look at moooiye!"

The key will be casting. I didn't think NBC would be able to translate The Office, but it did (and continues the surprise me). Maybe they should dig through more of Daily Show's ex correspondants (Samantha Bee and Beth Littleford?).

December 01 2006 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
astrogirl

I can't stand Kath & Kim. I've never understood what other australians find so funny about it. I don't think it is anything like Ab Fab either. I love Ab Fab. About the only similarity is that it stars two women in the lead roles.

It will be interesting to see the remake of K&K though. I hope its better.

official kath & Kim site: http://www.kathandkim.com/