April 17, 2014

The OC: The Sleeping Beauty

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Dec 1st 2006 11:44AM

Taylor needs Seth's help.(S04E05) Thus far this season has been great. So I went into this episode with high hopes, and don't get me wrong -- I liked it a lot. But it was just sort of so-so, right? Nothing too mind blowing happened, save for Summer's predicament, but even that was just kind of weird.

Everything that went on was just a little too obvious. Taylor falling for Ryan? We all knew it was coming. Of course, I support it though. She's better looking than Marissa, smarter, has less emotional baggage, and best of all? She's not a raging alcoholic. So yeah, I'm all for that and I hope it works out. But taking the entire episode to get to what we all knew was coming (the kiss) was just a waste of time if you ask me. It was cute I suppose. The Chinese tea didn't get Ryan to finally overcome his insomnia. Taylor did. Awww....

I think the thing that has me worried is that I don't feel like there's major conflict in the show right now. There's no story that has the caliber of Oliver, or Trey, or Kirsten's drinking being introduced. Everything is just peachy... except for Summer.

It looks like she's getting kicked out of Brown because... wait for it... Che is a complete ass. The two of them got busted for releasing caged rabbits in a biology lab and Che sold Summer out to the dean. Everything bad he's done, he pinned on Summer because "he's too essential to the cause to be kicked out of the school." This guy sucks. Hopefully Summer can get this figured out or else when Seth moves to Rhode Island to start his semester at RISD, he's going to be all alone. Not good. At least Summer kept Pancakes the rabbit... I want that animal. It was so fat and chubby.

As far as Julie and Kaitlin go... snoozer. They're fighting over men and it's kind of corny. I hope this doesn't keep up. Julie getting involved with Gordon Bullitt seems likely (he is rich), but that still doesn't really introduce any conflict.

I wish there was more to talk about but Taylor's quest to seduce Ryan by posing as a sleep therapist took up 90% of the episode. What about Sandy's new buddy, Spitz? Is he going to be back?

This episode worries me though because if next week doesn't pick back up, what if The OC gets canceled? I don't think FOX is planning on rescheduling. It should be fighting with Day Break on Wednesday, not Grey's on Thursday. Realistically this will be the last season and my only fear now is that we won't get to see all of it.

becky

Who plays Gordon Bullitt on the OC, he is a riot. Thanks for the information....and Merry Christmas

December 22 2006 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PantyCrickets

More Taylor please. Thank god they killed of Marissa. Taylor is much more interesting and the actress can actually act (something Mischa Barton couldn't do).

December 04 2006 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yme Sandelmann

I also liked this weeks episode. I find Taylor to be surprisingly entertaining, Ryan's reactions to her also had me cracking up. I'm also falling in love with Willa Holland (her character, not the actress. That would make me feel like a dirty old man and I'm just 25). Her faces are just perfect and she's a "likeable bitch". The only one, though, and that's the problem with the show atm. There is no drama and that's what "The OC" used to be about. The writers really missed the opportunity to introduce new (essential) characters. Kaitlin has noone to interact with (except her mom, the two dudes hanging with her are just backdrop and add nothing to the story). She needs a love-interest her own age, preferably a love-triangle. At one point I was thrilled by the idea of Ryan falling in love with her (as a Marissa-substitute psychlogical-wise), but that would be too dangerous for FOX with the age-difference.
And what really bugs me is that I am not the slightest interested in Summer and Seth anymore. There are no sparks, there is no drama, there is no jealousy :(
And Julie doing her moves on rich old man is getting kinda old, also. The writers really need to pull a rabbit out of the hat (in spirit with this episode) to turn the ship around. But I'm getting the feeling they know it's soon to be over and they are just trying to get closure instead of raising new problems that will end up in the air after the show gets cancelled...

December 03 2006 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Geoffrey

Last night show...was pretty great episode...but seems more of sarcasim (cant spell) family drama than first season. I love show that it is right now....I just wanted know edgey writers is good for the viewers. Time slot thingy, HAS TO CHANGE TO WEDNESDAYS. No matter what Fox is going to get raped (Unless they put American Idol) Lets just pray The OC change time slots next year. :crosses fingers:

December 02 2006 at 4:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeff

Yes it was predictable, but Taylor has been so great this season its easy to forgive. The Summer storyline is a complete bore, however. When I first read about it, I thought it sounded fun, especially Chris Pratt. But while his character was entertaining for a while, I can't take it anymore.

December 02 2006 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura Beth

I happened to love this weeks episode!!! As a matter of fact everybody I get together to watch this show say that so far the season is going great. They all said they certainly did not see Taylor and Ryan coming together. This season is very enjoyable. Just because its not full of over dramatic issues and suprising instances in every episode does not mean it's bad in any stretch of the imagination! I mean...you can only put so many surprises during the season or it will just get boring, cause then it is expected in every episode!

December 02 2006 at 1:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jDub

While I liked this episode, I was a little horrified by the previews for next week. Please let Ryan's fantasies about Taylor be funny and not just supremely soapy, cheesy and uncomfortable. Given how funny this show can be, though, I have high hopes. They cannot cancel Seth Cohen - end of discussion.

December 01 2006 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

this was by far one of the best episodes of the OC EVER. I never would have pictured Ryan and Taylor together and now it's like -- why didn't they do this sooner??? I'm still hoping that Fox moves the show to Wed where it at least has a fighting chance

December 01 2006 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply