October 25, 2014

Things I Hate About TV: The woo-hoo

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 1st 2006 1:32PM

OprahI've never been much a joiner. I wasn't on any sports teams in high school and I don't belong to many clubs or organizations. But I would join The Nancy Grace Fan Club and proudly wear their pin on my lapel before I ever "woo-hooed." (I think I've done it a couple of times in print, but only in a comical way.)

The woo-hoo. It's everywhere. It's not enough that Al Roker is standing in front of a crowd outside of The Today Show, the crowd actually has to do that long "wooooooooo-hoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" every time the camera is even remotely pointed in their direction. The same with the daytime and late night shows. Whether it's The Tonight Show or The View or (especially) Oprah, the crowd goes crazy when the star comes out or a guest comes on. I mean, they even do it on Emeril Live, whenever he throws in garlic or hot stuff. And they applaud on Emeril's show and he has a band, which I think is bizarre too, but that's a whole other rant.

I can't even understand how people do it physically. I can't imagine any situation where I would be puckering my mouth and making this loud "woo-hoo" noise with a bunch of other people, or alone. I would think that a real, deserved "woo-hoo" is a rare thing, and should be used in very few circumstances.

Preston

It's supposed to bring energy to the viewer. No one wants to hear a staid crowd and polite applause when a show comes on. Oprah Winfrey's shows open with loud applause. Bob Barker's The Price Is Right has had energetic audiences for years! I like to hear that BOOM and ROAR and Woo-hoos of the audience--that's why they have that APPLAUSE light blinking in the studios of those shows--to charge the audience up! I went to a Jeopardy! taping in Raleigh, NC in 2005 and they were cheering and hollering in that audience!

February 16 2007 at 1:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Yet another "Bob Sassone is better that you" post. How original.

December 03 2006 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justine

Not only do the "woo-hoo's" bother me, but on shows such as "Oprah" and "The View" these women can't speak correctly.....every other word out of their mouths is "like". SPEAK PROPER ENGLISH!!! Example of improper English: "I was, like, no way!" "I'll be there in, like, 10 minutes."

December 01 2006 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

Ok, isn't "woo-hoo" the thing that Sabrina the Teenage Witch did about a decade ago?

December 01 2006 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4ham

It's a crowd mentality thing. The excitement of being at a taping or *gasp* live broadcast of a show you enjoy watching at home.

December 01 2006 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom WP

Then what do think think about the Conan O'Brien 'Wooooooooo!' that everyone in his audience does every night? It has become a staple of his monologue, and every night he finds another way to poke fun at it. I can't imagine Conan without the wooos.

Also, I know I've let out plenty of woo-hoos in my life, in appropriate situations, but they've always been the quick, high-pitched "woohoo!" of Homer Simpson. Which I feel is a very natural reaction for a human being.

December 01 2006 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda

I totally agree about the Today Show. Roker's trying to give the weather outlook and you can barely make out what he's trying to say because so many people are yelling. Thank goodness they switch over to local weather immediately after.

December 01 2006 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply