September 22, 2014

CBS hands post-Super Bowl slot to Criminal Minds

by Joel Keller, posted Dec 4th 2006 4:14PM
Criminal MindsThe Newark Star-Ledger's TV critic, Alan Sepinwall, is reporting on his personal blog that CBS has decided to hand the coveted post-Super Bowl timeslot to an episode of Criminal Minds.

There was some speculation -- maybe it was more wishful thinking than anything else -- that the network would follow their broadcast of Supe XLI with an episode of their emerging comedy How I Met Your Mother. But CBS decided to go with one of their tried-and-true procedurals instead.

HIMYM is a better fit, as far as I'm concerned. Comedies have always done well in the post-game slot (Friends being the best example). And even though extended post-game shows and a smaller audience overall no longer ensures huge ratings, shows still can gain new fans by being in that slot, as we found out last year with the big Grey's Anatomy bomb episode. HIMYM is starting to hit its stride creatively, and deserves the higher exposure more than one of the network's generic procedurals.

Did CBS make the right choice? What show would you watch after the Super Bowl? Let me know in the comments.

sports guy

How I Met Your Mother kinda sucks... except for Doogie.

CBS made the right choice.

December 05 2006 at 8:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

All HIMYM fans please voice your complaints and ask CBS to put HIMYM after the superbowl-- at cbs.com and feedback at the bottom.

December 04 2006 at 11:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jamie

Wow, I'm really upset. As if Criminal Minds needs the boost, it already is a BIG hit, whereas How I met your mother could have used the boost more than anything -- at least to get people familiar with this great comedy. Is this decision final?

December 04 2006 at 11:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Who gave the Super Bowl to CBS?

I heard Britney Spears is going to "sing" during the Super Bowl and show her pussy. Sadly it's not going to be a "warerobe malfunction".

December 04 2006 at 11:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oscar Dahl, BuddyTV

What the hell is CBS thinking? This could do for HIMYM what is did for Grey's last year.

December 04 2006 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gene

TomB, CM is not beating Grey's. Grey's is beating CSI. Cyndi, Grey's is a perfect mix of comedy and drama. CM is pure drama. Like others HIMYM would have been a much better fit.

December 04 2006 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carolinemorgan

Criminal Minds may be dark but the bomb episode Grey's did wasn't all hearts and flowers and CM does go right up against Lost and it might grab people who want an intelligent show but still want answers not more and more questions. I used to watch a lot of procedural shows but after CM they all fell flat and now my DVR is getting a much-needed rest from the numerous CSI's of the airways, I will watch CM and I like to think that people are ready for a thought provoking show and not some inane comedy such as How I Met Your Mother.

December 04 2006 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

HIMYM was robbed. Oh well. Maybe next year.

December 04 2006 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

I actually like Criminal Minds. But it's way too dark for a post-SB spot. Psychopathic serial killers don't seem like a good way to unwind after a day of football.

December 04 2006 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

I can think of several different things that could be showcased following the Super Bowl. HIMYM is one of them, but since I'm an inveterate "Amazing Race" fan, I'd love to see the All Star season debut out of the big game.

December 04 2006 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply