October 24, 2014

Some Monk news for Monk fans

by Adam Finley, posted Dec 4th 2006 12:02PM

monkGod damn it, Monk takes a midseason break and then tosses one new episode out in November and I totally miss it. What's doubly upsetting about that is I'm the one who posted about it in October. This may be a sign that my plan to stop reviewing the show is a good idea. I still love Monk, and I'll keep watching it, but I find I just don't have as much to say about it as I do other shows. Monk is kind of like popcorn to me: it's a lot of fun, and when it's all gone I wish I could have more, but there's just not a lot I have to say about it once it's over.

Now then, before the fifth season finishes off in January, there will be another episode airing on December 22, "Mr. Monk and the Leper." I'll try not to miss that one, though being so close to Christmas, who knows what'll happen? The episode will actually air twice, once in black and white (9 pm) and again in color (10 pm).

The latter half of the fifth season, which kicks off January 19, will feature several guest stars including Sean Astin, Steven Weber, Charles Durning and Andy Richter, among others.

Lee Goldberg

Here's a little more MONK news. The new MONK novel, MR. MONK AND THE BLUE FLU, comes out in paperback January 2nd...followed by MR. MONK AND THE TWO ASSISTANTS in hardcover July. I'm trying to convince Monk creator/ep Andy Breckman to let me write BLUE FLU as an episode (as I did with my book MR. MONK GOES TO THE FIREHOUSE...which became the episode MR. MONK CAN'T SEE A THING). But it's unlikely that TWO ASSISTANTS will become an episode any time soon...it's about the return of Sharona.

December 05 2006 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Argh.

I *have* a dvr and I deleted it without watching since my DVR has a habit to record repeats despite being told not to and I figured it was just another repeat. Don't suppose USA is showing this online........

December 04 2006 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JD

I had a Monk on my TiVO a few weeks back, I thought it was a rerun. Looks like I missed it as well. I deleted it without watching.

December 04 2006 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

I don't get the point of the black and white/color stunt. Viewers can apparently vote on which they prefer. Does this mean that if black and white wins, they'll stop airing "Monk" episodes in color? And don't they realize that, if viewers really want b&w, they can probably change the settings on their television sets?

I don't really watch the show, and I doubt I'd want to watch the same hour-long episode of anything twice back-to-back. But this seems like a particularly stupid and pointless gimmick.

December 04 2006 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply