August 27, 2014

Ask Jane Espenson about the next episode of Battlestar Galactica

by Keith McDuffee, posted Dec 5th 2006 9:37AM
jane espensonJane Espenson has penned scripts for some of my favorite TV shows of all time. Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Angel. Firefly. Not to mention other outstanding shows I don't watch personally, like Gilmore Girls, The O.C. and Tru Calling.

Now Jane's diving right into another one of my all-time favorite shows, having written the next episode of Battlestar Galactica. I've got this great opportunity to pick Jane Espenson's brain about her thoughts on this next episode, and I only thought it fitting to ask my fellow dedicated fans of the show for questions. Got anything you'd like to ask Jane regarding the next episode? Ask away in the comments below and I'll forward the best questions off to her later today. I'll also take questions after the episode airs, since you might have more pressing questions once you've seen it.

Check back on the Battlestar Galactica category here later this week for her answers.

chris w

Just watched this ep.("The Passage"), and it was BRILLIANT!!!! I'm new to her work..but this ep. was SUPERB!!!! More jane Epenson please!!

December 08 2006 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

I'm curious to know how she understands the psychology of the characters used in her episode and how that understanding influenced her writing.

December 06 2006 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

How well do you have to know a show to write a stand alone episode? Were you a fan of Battlestar Galactica? Did you watch the series regularly before writing your episode, or did need use the show bible to ensure your script was consistent with the series?

December 05 2006 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rabid1st/Raeann

Hey, Jane! We met at the first Writercon but I'm sure it's all a blur to you, now. Anyway, was wondering, given the ensemble nature of BSG and the greater flux in character delineation if you found any character easier or harder to write (keep) in good voice? Also, Lord, I hope you brought some sense of fun back to the show...it surely needs it.

December 05 2006 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I'd love to hear her thoughts on what it's like working with two of the geniuses of TV in the past decade--Joss Whedon and Ron Moore.

December 05 2006 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

Bearxor...I don't agree with your post. If anything, the writers/directors/producers of this show have ALWAYS kept us on our toes and have a 95% mark in my book for top notch episodes. My hope is that you stick around to prove me wrong:+)

Question for Jane Espenson...now that we are privy to the Kara/Lee situation...how are you going to intwine this new story arc into the fall finale...if at all?

December 05 2006 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick Chan

I have two questions please:

1. What sort of artistic control do you have as a writer? Of course, I'm sure every writer would almost always want more artistic control, but in general do you think what you're given when writing for a show like BSG (or anyone else) is fair? Or do you think perhaps it needs to be improved?

2. This season of BSG has been particularly dark. Any thoughts on the importance and use of humor in a serious show like BSG? Perhaps to give viewers a little hope here and there (e.g., during the darkest hours of World War II, when the UK stood alone, and all seemed lost, Churchill was nevertheless somehow able to inspire by turning it around and calling this their finest hour)?

December 05 2006 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bearxor

I have to know...

Does she feel the show has become stagnant with no direction? Do the producers/writing staff have a new direction that they're building up to or are they scrambling to find one?

This show is dangerously close to being taken off my watch list. I hope her episode doesn't stink because I said I would take it off if next weeks episode did. It just feels like it's flailing around everywhere looking for somewhere to go and just hasn't found it yet. Being in it's third season, we are way past 'Based on the original series' phase and in to the 'Our show is better than the original series and we have to find some way to keep it going longer...' phase.

December 05 2006 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

How much funny were you allowed to bring to this show, considering that your reputation is for funniness and this show isn't usually too high on the humor scale?

December 05 2006 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

Ooops my first post was lost somewhere.

Q: How does a writer manage to integrate the storyline of a new (standalone?) ep, into the multiple integrated storylines of a multi-season show uch as BSG?

December 05 2006 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply