July 22, 2014

Day Break to end early?

by Brett Love, posted Dec 6th 2006 3:24PM
taye diggsABC unveiled their new Wednesday night schedule yesterday, as Anna reported here. The big news is, of course, Lost moving to 10PM to duck American Idol and Criminal Minds. Gideon wins the Wednesday night slugfest by forfeit, I think. Crazy island adventure aside, aren't you wondering where Day Break went?

When Knights of Prosperity and In Case Of Emergency kick off on January 3rd at 9PM there will still be five more episodes of Brett Hopper's bad day. Could it be that the terrible ratings have finally caught up with the show and ABC is going to quit while they're behind? The other option is moving the show, but at this point I'm not sure the numbers will even allow them to do that.

They could stick a repeat Grey's Anatomy in any of the slots and easily get twice the audience. Added to that, there are still episodes of The Nine and Six Degrees in the can that are just as, if not more, deserving of any open slot. Day Break may be destined for the internet, and a complete series DVD set.

[ via Variety.com ]

Matt

What is going to happen now? When is it going to be on?

December 22 2006 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

BRING DAYBREAK BACK!

WE HAVE TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS!

December 21 2006 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guy

Living in Canada, somebody mentioned that Canadians viewers can watch ABC's online last episodes of DAY BREAK via a U.S. based proxy server.

Can anyone teach me how that can be achieved?

Thanks for your Help! Guy

December 21 2006 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

Great Show .... but GREATER Shame On ABC.
This network has done this over and over.
Here are a few very good shows that come to mind (cancelled):
- 10-8
- Eyes
- Commander in Chief (the writing from all the internal chaos did cause the show to deteriorate .. but still decent)
And now DayBreak!
I don't understand why this network acts in such haste??!!!
Why would networks choose to air repeat programming in place of new and exciting dramas is beyond me. Not to mention (as have others here) there were only a handful of episodes left.
A complete and utter waste of resources.. and what about the viewership? We have invested our hard earned time here. Don't we matter? I guess not.
We've been used and abused way too many times!
Network television gets less and less impressive by the minute!

December 21 2006 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

Somebody mentioned Canadian viewers can watch ABC's online episodes via a U.S. based proxy server.

Can anyone enlighten me on how that can be achieved??

Thank you.

December 21 2006 at 2:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Staci

This is crazy! This is the best show I have seen since Lost began. This show needs a fighting chance. If I recall, 24 did not do that great at first (I know it is a different network, but still) I don't know why ABC cannot just let it finish out at the 10pm slot and do more advertising for it. The network did not stand behind it enough, they should be doing the repeats on the weekend or another day, 'IF YOU MISSED THE DAYBREAK PREMIERE, WHY DO YOU GET CAUGHT UP BY WATCHING IT FROM THE BEGINNING" They did that with Grey's Anatomy. Ratings are very important, but you have to invest it something as great as this for it to be as big as LOST, Grey's Anatomy, 24 and so on. What is wrong with these people. It needs to stay so that I can watch Lost and Daybreak on Weds. This is just wrong!

December 11 2006 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Daybreak is too intelligent and too complex to just be shown once. The problem with the low ratings is the fact that the "Lost" regulars are not interested in a different show. If the producers had shown the Pilot on 2 differant nights they would have gotten a bigger following. Personally I saw the previews and thought it was a concept of "Groundhod day" as did most of the viewing public. But after realizing it wasn't a movie in the theaters (way too long for that) but a TV Series, my first thought was this show was worth seeing. After viewing the 2 hour pilot, my first thoughts were "Im glad I taped this" because this is too complex of a concept to be on tv. There are Details that the average person will easily miss when they just plunk themselves down and lethargicly watch, much like some of the other shows that you can miss a 10 minute clip and still know exactly what is going on.
If the producers want a bigger following, they should show the Pilot on an alternate night and show the same episode on consecutive nights like they currently do with both "Grey's" and "Desperate housewives". The average viewer who didn't see the pilot will be lost if they walk into the subsequent episodes. Perhaps a "Daybreak" Marathon would bring more viewers and interest. Daybreak may be one of the best written shows television that have been broadcast in quite a while. Because of this it should be given its due.
The cast is well put together with few minor exceptions. Taye Diggs is a very likable character which is a great premise. Every woman on the show is exceptional and attractive. There's no reason why with a little more exposure this could be the biggest hit of the season.

December 09 2006 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Keith

ABC is really disappointing me with this. "Day Break" is turning out to me much better than I anticipated, while "Six Degrees" is a cheap gimmicky melodramatic show I had hopes for but failed miserably. Someone should switch these. I'm just waiting for them to pull "The Nine" and "Ugly Betty" which are the only two shows left of the new ones this year I'm genuinely excited for.

December 09 2006 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
minimumwage!

ABC's affiliate website states that the new line up for Wednesday night will not begin until January. And since Lost isn't supposed to be back until then, ABC will most likely run all of DayBreak's episodes.

December 07 2006 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
silk

Now that is just ridiculous! It was only going to be like 13 episodes anyway. The whole reason I started watching it was because it was going to finish in one season and would stay on!

DAMN YOU ABC JUST LET IT FINISH!

I'm with Mark, I am done watching these new serials when they air. I am going to let at least half a season que up before I invest my time in anything. That way, if they get canceled stupidly, I can just delete them all and not get worked up about it.

December 06 2006 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply