October 20, 2014

Day Break: What If They're Stuck?

by Jen Creer, posted Dec 6th 2006 11:40PM
Adam Baldwin of Day Break(S01E05) I am so hooked on this show! This was the best episode yet. I was an English major, so the quality of a show's writing is a major component in how well I like a show. The writing on this show is unexpectedly good. Well, by that I mean only that I wasn't expecting it to be this good.

Okay, readers, can you help me out with something? First, I can't remember if we have seen Surfer Dude in the jail before. It seems to me that we have. He looked familiar, as though we had just seen him in passing, being arrested (as we did the second day of this episode, when he sneered to Hopper. "I see you!"). (Internet Movie Database says we have seen him in three episodes) The actor, Clayton Rohner, was in Just One of the Guys years ago, as the love interest, for those of you who are interested in playing Name That Actor. I think he was clearly trying to tell Hopper that he is re-living each day as well. His remark about being salt to Hopper's pepper, I didn't think that was racially charged so much as an indication that they are yin and yang. Two parts of the same whole. I thought they were going to do more with him biting Hopper, didn't you? Because we know Hopper retains his injuries. I still think the guy is going to say, "Hey, remember when I bit you?" and pull up Hopper's sleeve and point to it.

After they pulled Scruffy Guy out of the cell, did Hopper have a hallucination? How did he get from the cell to the quarry again?

Remember a couple of episodes back when I was talking about the importance of details in this show? I even loved it tonight when Chad remarked, "I have to admire your attention to detail with swapping the cell phone battery and Margo and the bus." It was so meta, it just made my little English major heart sing.

Do you remember the first place you saw actor Adam Baldwin, who plays Chad? I first saw him in My Bodyguard, and he was great even then. One of the best parts of this episode was Baldwin's performance, because for the first time, we got to see Shelton as a really intelligent and even sympathetic character. All that hooey hey spouted about saving Hopper from the sniper because they used to be partners? I think that was just Shelton's way of telling Hopper he believed him about reliving the day. What did you think of the tete-a-tete between Shelton and Hopper regarding what was happening? I mean, on one hand, I hate it when movies and TV use gimmicks because they think the audience is stupid. Like in Casino Royale when Mathius keeps explaining poker to Vesper for heaven's sake. Like she needs it. But I didn't mind this episode, because I thought it was important to have Hopper answer some of those questions. They were good questions. We may know that the day is going to continue, but it's important to remember that Hopper doesn't.

I loved the little details again: The Dodger tickets, the fact that "Somebody has a rush job," the fleeting reference to mental illness in the family. I am glad that we don't go over and over his morning every day, too, because that would get old, fast.

But my favorite part of the episode was when Chad finally broke down and told him where the book was and Hopper left him the money. Classic. I just wish we could have been in Chad's head when he got it.

Deana

Loved this show !! Disgusted with ABC for pulling it out from under us. We at the very least should be given the rest of the episodes. Many I have spoken to are so upset they are going to stop watching ABC even give up our all time favorite Grey's to show how mad we are about this. Who can we tell how unfair this is to the millions that did watch regardless of the so called ratings? NBC did the same thing with BoomTown, anyone remember that. Now we have to hope we can $$$Buy the Dvd's for Daybreak, uhhhhhhhh i am disgusted, our phone is ringing, due to it not being on. Friends, neighbors, family...all mad about this ugh!

December 21 2006 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad

I REALLY LOVE Day Break. I am a little lost on a few details, but it has become my ALL TIME favorite show! Every week, after I watch it, I go online to abc.com, and re-watch it online. The show is AMAZING, and has to stay around. Although the ratings don't look to good, they should not cancel the show. If they ever think about it, I will have no chioce but to remove ABC from my cable company. :-)

December 09 2006 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

The ratings for "Day Break" are disgusting, and it's so, so sad. The show is one of the best-written on television. I'm enjoying it even more than "Lost", and I really do still love "Lost".

Best new show on TV this year for sure, and this is coming from someone who is a huge fan of both "Studio 60" and "Heroes".

December 07 2006 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

With the show's ratings there is no chance of a season 2. It's almost losing to a CW show!

December 07 2006 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan

Love the show and loved this episode alot! On a side note to your comment about the Poker scenes in Casino Royale Jen, For me it was quite welcomed since i have no idea how Texas Hold Em Poker worked. And since the Poker game is at least 30 minutes out of the whole movie it was nice of them to help with the ones who didn't know how Poker worked! :P

I really hope ABC sticks with Day Break! Come on! only 8 episodes to suffer bad ratings from. I'm sure you're not LOSING any money... i hope.

December 07 2006 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JustMe

I hate to say it, but I've given up on ABC. Lost has been a disappointment this year, even though it was my favorite show the last two years. And the show that replaced it, I haven't even given a shot, because I'm upset that Lost is gone for months. I'm not sure if others feel this way, but I do know friends at work have been complaining about the quality of Lost this year.

Instead, I've begun watching Heroes and it's slowly become the new Lost for me.

That I know that Daybreak is a limited series only helps me in not catching the show.

Perhaps if they debuted Daybreak after Lost for a week or two, I might have given it a chance.

December 07 2006 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony C

Yes, the grizzled surfer dude has been on in a few episodes. First couple times, he was being combative with the arresting policemen while Hopper was being fingerprinted or processed. This episode was the first time he's been alone with him though, and for good reason too! Crazy man's a biter!

I agree -- excellent episode! He was finally able to let it all out to someone who actually semi-believed him for once. Hooper tried to tell his girlfriend and parter Battle previously, but both of them didn't really seem to believe any of his story.

December 07 2006 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carson

This show is so good. It's best new show this season. Better than Heroes, Jericho, the Nine of any of the other newcomers that had so much promise. Those others are ok, but this show has me riveted every week dying for the next episode. This is like groundhog day meets the quality of 24. The ratings have GOT to improve, if they take this show off the air it'll prove definitively that there's something seriously broken with the way they market and/or measure new shows. Love it!

December 07 2006 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TimUF

ABC can thank Joss Whedon forme stopping in on this show last night:
[click]
[click]
[click] Hey! Thats Jayne! (adam baldwin)

im glad i stopped, i was riveted for most of the show.
I just kind of hope it doesnt end up like 24, where the scale of things that happen to one guy keeps escalating. (if Jack bauer were real, i wouldnt want to be within 1000 miles of him, at any given time.)

December 07 2006 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kel

Sounds like I missed this show. Is it too late to start watching it now? If so, can't wait for the DVD then!

December 07 2006 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply