November 24, 2014

G4 moving to ST:TNG 2.0 next

by Joel Keller, posted Dec 8th 2006 12:33PM
Star Trek: The Next GenerationAfter sucessfully strip-mining every unknown piece of information about the original Start Trek series, our friends at G4 have decided to do the same thing with The Next Generation.

Earlier this week, TrekToday.com reported that the network will show all seven seasons of ST:TNG in their patented "2.0" format, with the episode sharing the screen with trivia, behind-the-scenes information, a live chat, and a stock ticker (I can't explain that one; you'll have to see it). They'll also be keeping track of the "Picard Maneuver" -- how many times a crew member tugs down on his or her uniform when he or she stands up -- among other statistics. G4 will start airing ST:TNG 2.0 on January 15 at 9 PM.

I'm sure the folks at G4 will do a fine job with this. But they don't have Wil Wheaton working for them. I mean, as far as behind-the-scenes info and wise-ass reviews are concerned, how much better can you do than using someone who was actually on the show? Wil's been doing a helluva job with his Next Generation reviews, so I'd say check with us first before watching a 2.0 episode. You'll have double the fun.

[via tv filter]

Ayala

You are right, Machine - they are screwing it up. They are moving it around and messing with the 2.0 game, just like they did to kill TOS 2.0.

I used to play 2.0 all the time and I was on G4's chat room all the time, but they seem to want to sabotage everything they are successful with.

And, Wil, I still love ya! ;)

February 09 2007 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Machine

G4's programming strategy appears to be to drive people away from G4.In this respect they are wildly succcessful since, apart from TNG reruns, the only thing worth watching on G4 is X-Play... and they had nothing to do with developingth tha.

I'm sure they'll find a way to screw it up at some point.

December 18 2006 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ManekiNeko

No, I think Wil's right! G4 was actually able to find a replacement host for Arena that was ten times more annoying than he was... and that guy's still on the network!

JR

December 10 2006 at 12:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

"Its Star Trek for people with [a] really bad case of ADHD." -chris

"I have moderately bad ADHD. Watching Star Trek 2.0 is really, really hard for me to do." -wednesday

Maybe it should be Star Trek *by* people with really bad ADHD, then?

I kid, I kid. But seriously, it was bad enough when TNN (back when Spike was TNN) put squished TNG and put "You're watching Star Trek: The Next Generation" across the bottom of the screen? Why the hell would G4 do this? I don't want to feel like I'm watching CNN Headline News when I watch Star Trek! Screw off!

December 09 2006 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MaW

I was momentarily surprised that Paramount let them do this, but then I remembered that Paramount also let Enterprise onto the air, and my surprise evaporated.

December 09 2006 at 6:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wednesday

"Its Star Trek for people with really bad case of ADHD."

Gnrf.

I have moderately bad ADHD. Watching Star Trek 2.0 is really, really hard for me to do. I would like to watch the *show*, dammit, but there's all this *stuff* I have to *read* and agh NUMBERS and look INFORMATION and GOD this is insipid but it's MOVING and um what just happened to Edith Keeler there?

Yeah, screw it. I get Spike, TNG is still there, I'll watch that.

December 09 2006 at 3:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

Maybe one of the things that scrolls by on the early episodes will be "Oh btw, Wil Wheaton hates that we're doing this."

December 08 2006 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I agree with Wil and others, it is annoying to watch with the original series. Its Star Trek for people with really bad case of ADHD.

And as far as the facts along the top go, most people who care already know 90% of them.

December 08 2006 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jean

Jesus, has society as a whole gotten so ADHD-insane that sitting down to watch a show without a dozen other diversions is unthinkable?

Yeah, I've seen all the shows. And I'll see them again...but not like this. I'll watch them the way the directors and writers intended.

December 08 2006 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

ST 2.0 reminds me of VH1's pop-up video.

December 08 2006 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply