October 25, 2014

The OC: The Summer Bummer

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Dec 8th 2006 3:29PM

Sandy and Ryan in the poolhouse.(S04E06) I'm really frustrated that no one is watching this season of The OC. The ratings have been blah since the premiere and I know it's up against Grey's Anatomy and CSI, but c'mon people! This show is good again. It deserves to be watched. Honestly. I doubt very much we'll see the episode order jump from 16 to 22 but at least FOX isn't giving up. They did throw their own petition together... odd. But hey, I'm not complaining. It's something.

OK, so there's my piece on that whole mess. On to the episode.

Spectacular installment in every aspect. I really can't say a bad thing about it. The entire Ryan falling for Taylor story has been written perfectly. They really could have screwed this up if you think about it though. Obviously his character needs a love interest and Taylor is the logical choice. I say it was written perfectly because it doesn't feel forced simply because they're both single. It flowed smoothly and logically and it just works. Kudos to the writers. How funny were those daydreams that Ryan was having though? I have the occasional daydream about a girl every now and then too. Except mine never look like an 80's music video.

I'm having a hard time (in a good way though) with Che and Bullitt. We're supposed to dislike both of them right? I hope Julie doesn't end up with Bullitt simply because he's starting to act like a nice guy. I feel like she's smarter than that. As far as Che goes... who would've guessed that his name is short for Winchester? Not to mention the fact that he's loaded. Well, his dad is anyway. Despite my dislike for these two guys, I'm glad they're around. I like what they've brought to the show. I know I'm definitely stealing Bullitt's trademark though. I've already started answering the phone, "Bang!"

I've officially warmed up to Kaitlin too. Her character made a real impression on me in this episode. She's nicer than she lets on despite her methods. I love how she made that popular girl Riley cry and then outed her boyfriend. She taught the girl a lesson I suppose.

As if this couldn't get any better, they keep doing things that please me. Once we found out that Summer was getting kicked out of Brown until next fall, I wasn't looking forward to Seth heading out east. The whole needing to hop on a plane to see each other was getting a little old. But he's going to delay college for another semester and I think it's another smart move by the show's writers to keep the two of them closer. It works better.

On top of all that, lots of funny lines to round out this great episode:

Seth (on his decision to fight Che): "I'm gonna go so Ryan Atwood on his ass."

Taylor (on her plan to make Ryan jealous): "What if I did rent a homosexual for the evening and pay him with rare collectibles from Asian cinema?"

Sandy (handing a bagel to Ryan): "I schmeared it for ya!"

agus

it's excelent this episode!!!

i realy like ryan and taylor toghether...

December 21 2006 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kiki

I mean honestly though, if people don't want to miss out on watching their favorite Grey's Anatomy that same night, all they have to do is watch Grey's on abc.com and watch OC on tv. That's what I do. It's a win win situation. That's what all networks should start doing!

December 11 2006 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joey

the O.C. rocks people that dont watch it is wierd and taylor is so hot ryan's lucky

December 10 2006 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rutger

Hey, The OC is great and I have a question.
Where could I find episode 6 on the internet, cause limewire doesn't have it (yet?)? Because I don't wanna wait like a year before it comes to Europe.

December 10 2006 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan

I agree, best episode of the season! Everyone's stories were interesting and it felt like an episode from season 1 with the partying! I hope FOX is smart and moves the show to Wednesday after the Christmas Break, 1) Lost won't be on for a few more months 2)It will have AMerican Idol as a lead in.

I can't wait until next week, looks to be good. ANd can't wait to see what unfolds with Julie and Bullitt's Son (male prostitute, clever twist)

December 09 2006 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
will shear

Great episode, but I think they may have censored some audio in my area.
When Ryan comes across Roger and Conner in bed: Ryan says "Taylor isn't in there with you guys, is she? Roger says "No" Ryan says "OK"....but then I've just got background noise until Roger's words: "extremely rare"etc.
So maybe my VCR just dropped out?
But can anyone here fill me in on those few lines?
THANX

December 09 2006 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Camz

I should stop saying "This is the best episode ever" when I watch. I can't believe that it keeps getting better and better. The OC's so good, I feel like I'm gonna implode/explode/lose my mind. Stupid FOX. Move it to Wednesday/not Thursday!

December 09 2006 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Geoffrey

I thought it one the best ever....and good timing indeed....Though I agree with #6....Im tired of Marissa....Move on away from her!!!!! Im falling in love Autumm Resser since she played Taylor last season. She's got alot of talent.

December 09 2006 at 5:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alan Hoffman

this episode made me smile.. this season is getting very, very good.

December 09 2006 at 1:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

It has been steadily increasing -- it increased almost a million from last week! It was up against a grey's anatomy repeat however, but still. Let's get the word out and get these ratings higher -- Next week is Christmakkah!!!!

December 08 2006 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply