September 17, 2014

Battlestar Galactica: The Passage

by Keith McDuffee, posted Dec 9th 2006 12:25AM
battlestar galactica the passage
(S03E10) I have to ask -- why isn't anyone getting on Apollo for the short rations? It wasn't that long ago that he was a fat tub, and it's not like he was feasting on New Caprican grub. Can you imagine the thrashing he'd be taking if he was still fat? Alright, so it's a nitpicky point to bring up, but I know there are others of you who were a bit bothered that Apollo so easily lost all those stones of weight so quickly.

(By the way, check out writer Jane Espenson's answers to your questions regarding her experience writing this episode. I'll be asking a few more questions myself after tonight.)

Something that was sort of backgrounded in this episode, though when you're looking for it like we are, it stands out quite prominently: We're seeing Athena/Sharon taking some extraordinary risks for the human crew of Galactica. Not that she's had a lack of doing so in the recent past, but it struck me more this time, with her being the guinea pig for all of existing, known humanity.

Baltar's onto Number Three's suicide ways, though are we going to find that what we thought all along was right, that the more a Cylon downloads the crazier they become? So far she seems relatively unaffected, though the reaction of the other Cylons last week seems to indicate they know what tends to happen when one travels down that road.

And what of the drawings Number Three made of the visions she had from beyond? They're likely the "boxed" Cylons as some have surmised. What's initially weird to me is how Baltar seems to believe he may be a Cylon himself, though I'm not sure it was ever revealed that his Cylon detector from his days on Galactica was a farce or not. I guess if it wasn't a farce, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense at that time if he'd have tested himself, would it? Not unless he was asked to at least.

Gaeta's lack of applause for Saul reentering the bridge (do we call it a bridge?) spoke volumes. Clearly there's some unresolved issues that we'll see play out in future episodes. Though it's likely Gaeta never had total respect for Saul even before the events on New Caprica, so what happened recently doesn't help matters one bit.

I found it interesting how we got some insight into how the ships process minimal food resources from plants carrying life. Forms of algae are processed into a form of food that the crew can eat. It's almost a take off of the replicators from Star Trek:TNG, where I believe (if my I reach back into my nerd databanks) all sorts of materials, even waste, were used to make whatever the replicators made. Or maybe I'm just overthinking things and they just make a big sloppy gruel out of the mess.

Oh, by the way, you think The Lost Room premieres Monday or what? I mean, I like the show (I caught it early), but that watermark over the entire episode was obnoxious.

Hearing Jupiter being mentioned gives us a little look into how this seasons is certainly seeming to end up -- with everyone staring our solar system right in the face. "A connection between their gods and ours." "Five faces," and Jupiter is the fifth planet from our sun. If that's the case, it'll make for an interesting break once this season ends -- how will the next season play out if Earth is so close to their reach?

I'm not really sure what I feel about Kat's story. I don't feel a lot of remorse for what she went through, though I admire that she found it within herself to do what she had to to redeem herself, at least in her eyes. It was something that I'm not sure I needed to see, as Kat played what I consider a very background role since her days of taking over for Starbuck.

This episode really was all about sacrifice. Sacrificing oneself for the betterment of others. Sacrificing oneself for redemption. Sacrificing oneself for knowledge of what's beyond. Seemingly everyone's succeeding in one way or another at getting what they wish for.

Martin

I'm going to miss Kat =( Yea this episode was a lil weak in BSG standard but still trumps over everything else on TV.

December 14 2006 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

Akbar -- Not yet. It will come, though.

December 14 2006 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Thanks for the info Keith!

Is there anyway we actually login? My confirmation emails always tell me I can but then I never see where I am supposed to do so.

December 14 2006 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

Guys -- If you do a comment and it gets "lost", use the Comments form on the right and mention what email you used so we can find it and activate it for you.

December 14 2006 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Dorv, I think the universe is working against us ;) We should just give up now and join forces. ALL HAIL THE POWER OF DORVKBAR!

I too have fell victim to the post loss. What I don't get is that I can post something somewhere and I never get the confirmation email but then I post on another entry 5 minutes later and it comes right in. Ah the joys of the internet!

December 14 2006 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Dorv: Good ole Akbar...still ruffling those feathers!
I don't know about your area, but in recent days my posts gets "stuck" in cyberspace for as long as 24 hours. I never lose them, but it can be frustrating to have them (posts) show up long out of the particular context of the conversation. I have complained with my internet service, and they have told me they have had similar problems in my area. I live in the Cincinnati area but I was just wondering if anyone else have had similer problems.

December 14 2006 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Damn... My comment got posted late, and I missed a whole other round.

However, I find myself STILL siding with Akbar, which is a sad, sad story :)

December 14 2006 at 3:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

cress d: Bravo to you I say. Your rhetoric is exactly what I wish a lot more people would exhibit. I mean, I have read comments from some who state they would quit watching the show because of a couple of weak episodes or two. Give me a break already! As you have implied, we ain't seen nuthin yet!

December 14 2006 at 2:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Me chill? You must be new here. You will find I love the give and take of an intellectual debate about the show. I just have no patience for fans who get so bothered by a small technical detail (and act all star trekkie) that does not affect the actual story in anyway.

I take it you are reffering to this shot from the episode:

Honestly, who knows how far the fleet was away from the star cluster at that point. Unless you are reffering to a different part of the episode, I would have to say the actual size of the cluster is up for debate.

December 14 2006 at 12:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cookie

Akbar, Thanks for letting me know about the extended interview. This one is much more interesting and with a lot more personal insight. I'm glad they do get technical help. I am concerned that although the dialogue might be accurate the visuals are misleading. The two should be more in sync. As to chilling, all of us who take the time to comment have a great passion about the show and have a true affection for "the journey" it takes us on every week. I'm sure I'm like most fans that only desire for the show to be the best it can be. When it has such great episodes that work on all levels, it only makes us expect that level everytime we tune in. It just seems that your need to challenge my opinion on the Sci aspect of the show, demonstrates a greater urgency for you to "chill" rather than those of us who love a good intellectual give and take.

December 13 2006 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply