December 21, 2014

Orson Welles for Rosebud Frozen Peas

by Adam Finley, posted Dec 9th 2006 1:01PM

orson wellesMaurice LaMarche is the "go to" guy in animation when it comes to Orson Welles impressions. He used the voice for The Brain on both Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain, and recently played a young Orson Welles in The Simpsons "Treehouse of Horror XVII." Back in the '90s, LaMarche made a few appearances on The Critic, playing the older, rotund Orson Welles who was far removed from his younger and more vibrant days, reduced to doing TV commercials and voiceovers. Unfortunate yes, but this is comedy, and the rule here is that pain and misfortune are always funnier than happiness.

After the jump, enjoy a brief clip from The Critic featuring LaMarche as Welles. It's one of my favorite moments from the series. The "green peaness" line cracks me up every time.

ManekiNeko

The truly hilarious thing is that the faux pas was repeated on an episode of Iron Chef America. I don't know if the judge intentionally referred to the Critic episode or if it was a slip of the tongue when she commented on the "peaness" of the dishes.

JR

December 09 2006 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joshua

Mo LaMarche is basically my hero.

December 09 2006 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fuzzball

Oh how I LOVE The Critic -- thanks so much for reminding me of this hilarious clip!!

December 09 2006 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin Kelly

This is based on some real outtakes from a Findus Frozen Foods peas commercial Welles did. I can't find the actual audio, but check out some of the quotes: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Orson_Welles#The_Findus_Foods_.22Frozen_Peas.22_Session_Out-Takes

December 08 2006 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan Toomey

The one he did for 'Mrs. Pell's Fishsticks' is even funnier.

"Oh yes! Yes! They're even better raw!"

December 06 2006 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply