July 25, 2014

Comedy Central signs up Tucker Max

by Brett Love, posted Dec 11th 2006 3:31PM
Tucker Max I think this internet thing might just be catching on... It seems that self proclaimed asshole, Tucker Max, has managed to turn his website into a television show. But this isn't just some video podcast, or YouTube experiment. It's the real deal. Variety is reporting that the team of Gavin Palone and Jamie Tarses will executive produce the show for Comedy Central. The two also work together producing TBS' new show My Boys. It's good, you should take a look.

Tucker's site has gained a rather large following, getting something between 1 and 1.5 million unique visitors a month. Along with a blog and a message board, the big attraction is the stories of his boozing and womanizing. They have already led to the book "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell." Max will also write the pilot script. The show is said to be about him and his friends as they transition into adulthood.

I'll be interested to see what comes of this. Some of the stories Tucker has written are very funny, so there is something to build from. Being on Comedy Central will get them a bit of leeway with content, but I think this one would have been better served with the even more lax restrictions at Showtime or HBO.

Matt

You guys are telling me a show like this couldn't work? You mean to tell me all of the guys that line up for all of the internet man-books aren't going to be watching this shit? You're insane. I will say this though: As much hype as Tucker's made concerning the announcement, if this show isn't the best man-show ever, I'm gonna beat his ass myself. I'm sick of shows that "see life from a woman's perspective" or a "sensitive man's perspective." Most men want to see life through the eyes of a funny asshole. No more pussy-ass metrosexuals; let the Manvolution begin.

December 27 2006 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tony

Hey, I say, good for him. Look at it this way, the guy created his own "brand" and is now reaping the rewards. He's probably going to make more writing that pilot than he would be making as a lawyer. It all spins off to something else. Whether his stories are true, embellished or totally false, I don't care..some of them made me laugh out loud. I had some wild days myself with wild friends and its amazing what can happen when you put that together and lube it with flowing booze. Good for you, TM!

December 15 2006 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dereck Sinclair

A pilot? Are you kidding me? This is the "big deal" that TM has been working on for the last 2 years---and it is the chance to compete with 10-12 other pilots to have a show on comedy central? If my goal in life was to have a 3rd rate show on a little watched cable channel I'd probably kill myself.

December 14 2006 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Sorry, never heard the Opie and Anthony radio show before, so I can't confirm your little "dig" there, if that was the intent.

December 12 2006 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jahed

Looks like a lot of Opie and Anthony lapdogs frequent this site.

December 12 2006 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan

"HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE!"

December 11 2006 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

ANother bullshit con-artist signs a development deal.

Just another day in American commerce.

I hope this lying sack of shit gets exposed for the fraud he is just like James Frey did the author of a "Million little Pieces"

December 11 2006 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

now his made up stories will actually be called fiction and not "shit that totally happened man". Some of his stories are in fact funny but i believe about 1% of them. Besides that, more power to him. I just think hes a talented fraud.

December 11 2006 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

"transition into adulthood?" Last time I checked, Tucker and all (most) of the people he writes about are already adults.

And yes, this is my real first name. And no, I have no relation to Tucker Max.

I love Tucker's stuff, but I don't really see it working all that well on TV. For me, the enjoyment has always been less of the stories themselves and more about the voice and the telling - I mean, when you think about it most of them are really dumb. I just don't see it translating well through re-enactment.

December 11 2006 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply